X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time it overheats 02 jaguar x-type

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
Anti-freeze Testers are available just about any Discount Store (WalMart, Kmart, etc) or any Auto parts store, almost always under $10 USD.

Yes, do change the coolant out a soon as possible, but make sure that it at least provides you with adequate protection until it is done! Even if you have to open the radiator petcock and drain a gallon of coolant out and replace it with some 100% anti-freeze, the $12 to $15 USD you'll spend to do that will seem very small indeed compared to a cracked engine block!

DO NOT STORE THE WASTE COOLANT IN AN OPEN CONTAINER!!! (Not down the drain, either - check with your local sanitation company or county for instructions on disposal. Antifreeze is a nasty chemical hazard for many reasons, and needs proper disposal)

Any animal that takes but a few sips of it will die an agonizing, terrible death!

It is an attractive and dangerous nuisance to animals. Cats and dogs will lap it up. They seem to enjoy the taste, and there is very little to be done to save them after, even with prompt veterinary care.

A couple little tricks to using the tester are:
1) read the directions carefully, as reading are temperature affected;
2) run a few fills into the gadget before reading it, so any leftover flush-out water doesn't give you a false reading, and
3) flush the unit out after you are done - mainly so some animal doesn't lick any coolant off or out of the hose - but also so you don't dribble it onto something important, like:

Be careful you don't drip any coolant on the paint finish of your car, or dribble it onto you good shoes - it is a bit solvent and can mess things up.

Best of luck, and we all hope your problem of overheating is readily solved with re-charged and then replaced (if you have to wait for some reason) anti-freeze coolant!

~Bruce

Post Script - When you do change the fluid out, don't mess around with the pre-mixed 50/50 stuff. Buy a Name Brand of pure anti-freeze, and mix it at 70% to 30% Distilled Water.

Do NOT use Tap water, Spring water, or any other water, as any minerals in it will cause the cooling system - with all it's dissimilar metals - to act like a weak battery and eat away / corrode your engines innards. First to go is usually the head gasket from using the wrong type of water, as it is a soft metal, usually pure copper.

Post Post Script - Don't buy that new water pump yet. I just betchya it is not needed!
You're the MAN!!..thanks for such a detailed post..never would of had a clue..I will try this and let you know the results..thank you so much for sharing the knowledge..

Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

You are welcome!

My experience with this again is quite recent. Only last week did I have a life & Death incident over weak antifreeze with my Dodge 4 Door Pickup. The temperature was -26F, and with the crisp wind of 15 to 20 mph the chill-factor was -55F.

While dealing with the problem, I was rained on by coolant from the underside of the hood, and my hands and arms were soaked. In under 4 minutes I was becoming frostbit and hypothermic. With no heat in the vehicle, I was in real trouble.

(Of course, I am in North friggin' Dakota, and I was miles out in the middle of nowhere. Without a cellphone. Without a clue.)

A little old lady, one of this county's population density of 2.4 people per square mile, stopped, reached over and opened the door because I couldn't, my hands quit working, and turned her vehicle's heater and fan wayyy up.

She didn't say much except to chuckle as she looked at me and say "I'm on the way to pick my daughter up right now. We're going to fly out to Las Vegas this afternoon! "

Attached Thumbnails 1st time it overheats 02 jaguar x-type-sagers-iceman-splsh.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

SOMETHING is needed because coolant is leaking. Need to find the source of that leak. Things like that don't go away. They only get worse.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
SOMETHING is needed because coolant is leaking. Need to find the source of that leak. Things like that don't go away. They only get worse.
Weak antifreeze can and will freeze, stopping movement and flow of the coolant. Then there are spots inside the engine that overheat, turning the coolant into steam. The steam over-pressures the system, blows any liquid coolant out and bingo! (you wonder why you ever moved to the "Florida of Canada"!)

Since he only seems to lose fluid when it it very, very cold out, that is my guess, and also is what happened to me.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts