X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight chime and ultrasonics not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight chime and ultrasonics not working

Hello all, first post. Thaks in advance for your help.

My wife has a 2005 X type 2.0 D. For a while now, there has been no sounds from the parking sensors - front or rear - and the warning chime when the doors are opened with the headlights on is also not working.

Do both these functions use the same speaker and, if so, can anyone tell me where this is located? I can't say for definite when both functions stopped working and if it was at the same time and it may be coincidence that they are both not working now, but if they do use the same speaker, it could explain why both are faulty.

Thanks and regards.

Last edited by GGG; 11-26-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: emphasise model and year
Old 11-26-2014, 06:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum buchang,

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Graham and apologies.

Appreciate your help.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

buchang, first off, the headlights and the parking sensors use 2 different speakers (actually, the parking sensors have 2 different speakers for just that system and the headlights use a 3rd speaker).

So, lets deal with the easier one first, the parking system. With the aide of a second person (or curb), have the car in reverse and run your ear along the 4 parking sensors in the rear of the car. Do you hear a high pitch squeal/chirp from any of the sensors? You should hear something from all 4 if things are working correctly. Repeat with the front sensors and the car in DRIVE. Do these chirp?

If none of the sensors chirp, then this is confirming that the parking aide module doesn't have power. If this is the case, access the passenger area fuse box and replace fuse F33. Recheck the sensors to make sure that they work now. If they do, this is fixed. If not, then odds are you have a bad parking aide module. Granted, before you go just replacing the module, connect a multimeter across the 2 wires to the sounder (the easier one to access is in the rear boot/trunk, on the underside of the shelf there). When you have something near the back of the car with it in reverse, are you seeing the multimeter jumping around (between 0 and 12 VDC)? If yes, then you have 2 bad sounders. If no, then this will pretty much confirm a bad parking aide computer. Replace either both sounders or the computer as needed.

Now, for the headlight warning. If you have the key in the ignition and open the door. Do you get a chime? Next, start the car, put it in gear (remain stationary) and then turn the car off. Does the car chime now? If you are getting chimes on these 2 checks, then your problem lies with the headlight circuit. If you are not getting any chimes, then odds are the speaker inside the GEM module is toast and unfortunately, to replace that, you either need a healthy electronics knowledge or you are replacing the GEM module. If you need more info, let me know and I will assist however I can.

The following users liked this post:
buchang (11-28-2014)
Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

So last night I noticed my door open, lights on chime is not working now (it was working since purchased in March), but I seldom have driven @ night. Had the battery go bad a couple of weeks ago and replaced it (dead for 1 day). Had to do the auto window up and down reset, as well as radio settings, etc. The driver's door open message on dash works (as does passenger open), key in ignition door open chimes, never had a chime on not buckling seat belts, just the dash light, turn indicator clicks. All interior lights function (i.e. dome, courtesy, footwell & added mod interior lights).

Anyone have some guidance?

Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down

Just a small update on this quandary.

As mentioned, the key left in ignition, door open chime works. All door open monitor dashboard warnings work, as well as trunk and hood, interior lights work. The sound made is what the "lights left on" sound was. The start car, apply brake, shift to drive, turn off = sound is very different, I believe it uses the same sounder as the rear back up sensors (at least I can't differentiate between sounds), but did seem louder. There has never been a seat belt warning sound, just the dash light on & goes off on buckling the belt.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

When I bought my kitty, in getting the safety inspection one of the license plate lights was burned out. I replaced it and all was good. A bit later I posted that the chime signal for leaving lights on (with door open) had stopped working (it worked for a couple of months) and never got an answer to how/why/where to look and fix it. While working on some mod LED lights, I noticed BOTH license lights were out. Having installed LED bulbs I figured no way they both had gone bad. Looked for the fuse. It was blown and damned if the lights left on chime now works.

Btw, the key in ignition is the same chime as lights left on door open. The lights one is just slightly faster in repetition.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-24-2018 at 11:06 AM.