Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 AM

Default My Jaguar hood won't open!!! Plz help!

I have a 2002 jaguar x-type 3.0 and my hood will not open. it was working fine, and just all of the sudden stopped working!

It pops it with the lever, but only the driver side of hood comes up, but the passenger side is still closed.

Ive tooken it to a few machanics and they couldnt help... Ive also read that this has happened to others.

How do I go about fixing it?

what would i have to re,ove to find cable under hood to relase it? plz help!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM

You need a new hood cable. This is kinda hard to describe, but here's what you need to do.

Get a rod long enough to reach from the bottom to the top of the hood. I had a curtain rod, worked perfectly. On the passenger side where the latch is, all you need to do it catch it and pop it open. Again, this is easier done than said, literally. I didn't have to jack up my car to do it.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Thanked 1,283 Times in 1,144 Posts

hustle, there is a cable that runs underneath the support bar across the top of the radiator. You will need to open the hood as mentioned above and then remove the 2 bolts on each latch mechanism. From there you should be able to pull the cable out and replace. Like was mentioned, harder to explain than to do. I know I have a problem with my cable sticking, therefore not allowing the hood to close.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM

hey, thanks for both of the advice yall gave me.

im a try to fix it today if it doesnt rain and i will let ya know how it went.

i am a newbie when it comes to owning a jaguar so im glad there is a forum just like this.

------------------------------
off topic

i just bought this 2002 jaguar x-type 3.0 with navigation for a great price and over time i plan on fully customizing it. (grills, rims, body kits, paint, stereo, etc.) but for now, gotta make sure all fluids and minor maintanence are done to it. .... its time to get this hood up!!!.... lol
Old 04-29-2009, 02:29 PM

ok... so i jacked up car and got a lil wooden pole that can fit up to lat

i
Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM

ok... i jacked up car and got a lil wooden pole so i can poke at latch, but what EXACTLY do i have to do to open it up.

do i poke around center of latch or what? anyone have a picture of bottom of latch so i can understand how it opens more?

i also see the cable going to latch, do i press against that side, other side, or middle of latch?

kinda a dum question but i dont have an owners manual

Last edited by txhustle; 04-29-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM

i got it open..... yes.

how do i know if cable is broken and needs to be replaced.

ima do alot of maintanence while hood is up. im scared to close it now.

does my jaguar take special coolant? i noticed it is red fluid in the reserve. why is dat?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

Thanked 1,283 Times in 1,144 Posts

Hustle, as for the cable. You should be able to watch the latch as a second person pulls on the lever inside the car. You should see both latches operate at the same time. From the sounds of things, you have a broken cable, so, simply pulling the cable off of the passenger side latch and then pulling on the cable with your hand should let you know if the cable is broken or not.

As for the coolant, jaguar does recommend using only their coolant. it is a long lasting/life coolant. But, with that being said, all coolants made today meet the same sort of standards and therefore you can use just about anything out there. The big trick is making sure that you use the same type of coolant. There are currently 3 types of coolant out there (green, orange, and red). So, if you are using a different kind, make sure to flush the system really well to get rid of all the old different colored coolant.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 PM

I have same problem. so, I took it to jaguar. they told me it cost $720.
this is crazy. so, i decide to do it myself.
Is it hard to change cable?
Anyone have step by step manual to change it?
please help!!!
txhustle! did you change it by yourself?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:11 AM

My cable has popped. Is there a picture that anyone can provide for me?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Just fixed mine! jack it up, remove splash gaurd running width of front underside, need flashlight, long screwdriver, and extra person. Have help push down intermitently on hood where latch is jambed. Latch is located at the begining of the center hump. While they are doing this use flash light to locate movement of latch. It won't be much but it'll be enough. You will be able to tell which way you need to lever the screwdriver by which way the movement of latch goes when hood is pressed down. when you find it have person began to pull up on hood intermitently as you lever it.
Or try to reconnect the cable. drivers side there are (3) three spots. the outer two are for the coated cable to slip into fork shaped. The middle is for the pea shapped bare cable to slot into. Passenger side is only two same setup.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

It could be worse when this happened to me a few weeks ageo. my jag started over heating so i pulled over in a privet eate went to pull the bonnet and no joy same as you however i now had a over heated car 11pm with family in the car peeing rain. and some guy telling me there going to toe my car away if i left it there. so just think if your home in it your already doing better than i was. And yes the long stick and tourch way works.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Tags
2000, 2002, broke, broken, cable, coolant, hood, jaguar, open, opening, pop, type, wont, xj8, xtype