Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Seatbelt Buckle Replacement

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything specificaly on this so...

My 2003 X-Type driver's seat belt buckle has failed. It now requires that the release button be pressed in to join the two pieces.

1) Has anyone ventured to tke the buckle end apart to fix this problem?

2) I have located a junk yard that claims to have the part ($100 USD) though I have not placed my order yet. What is the procedure to R/R this piece? Must I remove the seat or center console?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Default seat buckle airbag sensor

i made the mistake of purchasing the junkyard buckle, only to find out that the airbag sensor in it was deployed. now my airbag light on the dash is illuminated. i called the junkyard back and the fellow agreed to refund my money fortunately. there is really no way to tell this by looking at the buckle (at least this particular one looks *perfect*). word to the wise - don't purchase a used junkyardseatbelt buckle unless you know the driver wasn't jerked around in an accident. this sucker took about 2 hours (wasted!) time to install. there is a mind boggling number of wires and connectors and very cramped quarters under that d*mn seat. i now have a new buckle on order.

does anyone know what the procedure is to reset the dash airbag light? can i do it with an ordinary obdII code reader/reset tool?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM

Default Airbag Code 33

Update:

I'f you've purchased a junkjard seatbelt buckle and now your getting a dasboard airbag code 33(3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks) it is an indication of:

33 - Seat Belt Pretension fault driver

I tried to reset this with my generic reader/reset tool and no joy. the tool reads the usual jag specific p1000 and p1111 codes which is of no help.

am i being optomistic in assuming it will reset itself when i install my new seatbelt buckle or am i destined to find a dealer to reset it?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survey_sez View Post
Update:

I'f you've purchased a junkjard seatbelt buckle and now your getting a dasboard airbag code 33(3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks) it is an indication of:

33 - Seat Belt Pretension fault driver

I tried to reset this with my generic reader/reset tool and no joy. the tool reads the usual jag specific p1000 and p1111 codes which is of no help.

am i being optomistic in assuming it will reset itself when i install my new seatbelt buckle or am i destined to find a dealer to reset it?
If you need a new/used buckle I have a whole set from my parts car and will sell the seatbelt pretensioner for 50 bucks shipped with in the US.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM

thanks for the offer - should have known sooner. bought one brand new $180. still hasn't arrived.

does anyone know if the fault will reset itself after the new setabelt is installed or will i need to find a dealer??
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Default seatbelt replacement

not sure i should even bother posting this given the ovewhelming interest. but maybe this will help some other poor soul... here we go:

background:

pretensioner on a good seatbelt should measure closed circuit (close to zero ohms). the pretensioner is the orange connector. the seatbelt-not-attached warning is related to the brown connector. in other words there are two seperate circuits controlled by the seatbelt. on a bad seatbelt in which the pretensioner has been deployed, it will measure open circuit (close to infinate ohms). how to tell if you don't have an ohmeter? look down the black metal barrel at the end of the unit; if the securing end of the cable is not at the very bottom of the barrel then it's been deployed - and it's no good. you can also tell by looking at black plastic sheething covering the steel cable between the buckle and the main housing; if it looks crumpled, then the cable has been retracted and it no good.

seatbelt buckle replacement:

following instructions are for driver sidereplacement. set aside approximately 1.5-2 hrs and god bless you for your patience.

1) put seat in full back position and unbolt both front bolt connecting seat to floor (10mm)
2) using electrical seat switch, move seat all the way forward
3) unscrew plastic pieces covering rear seat floor bolts (philips screwdriver)
4) remove four rear seat floor bolts (10mm)
5) remove electrical harness from car to front of seat (6mm)
6) tip seat on side inside car (no need to remove) and block up with a small cardboard box underneath to level seat somewhat. balance it so that you can get at evereything underneath while sitting in the passanger seat.
7) pry thin metal retainer, and pull electrical connector forward, un-clipping from seat bracket
8) using small flathead screwdriver, release two clips holding brown and orange connectors from seatbelt assembly from the electrical connector backshel and push out.
9) unsrew seatbelt buckle assembly (large torx)
10) cut cable ties to remove seatbelt buckle assembly.
11) install new seatbelt assembly in reverse order - use a couple of new cable ties to prevent the two wires from cathing on anything below seat.

side note: the dashboard airbag light (associated with code 33 = driver side pretensioner failure) will reset itself without fiddling with any computers

cheers!

Last edited by survey_sez; 08-11-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM

Glad you posted this and Thank You! Wife pulled up outside in rain sitting in car and yelling like crazy till my old mom saw her and came and got me. Wife was furious seat belt stuck and she couldn't get out!
I was having a great laugh!,
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM

Tags
2000, belt, buckle, button, install, jag, jaguar, latch, moves, pretensioner, receptacle, replace, replacement, seat, stuck, type