X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down

Hi can anyone help me, Ive had my X type for about 6 months and love it but recently started giving out black smoke when I put my foot down, Ive had diesels before and not see this much smoke,
on a run I get about 40 mpg. 6 monthe ago about 45 if thats of any use,

Ive read on the net that it may be dirty injectors so put some redex in and took it for a 100 mile round trip on the motorway not improved yet.

I also read it may be a dirty filter but not sure which one would it be the air filter?

thanks for any help
Bill

Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM

SORTED,

just got back from the garage, it was a split pipe from the EGR valve, valve was also cloged up with soot, the guts at BMS auto's in Pattingham found the fault in minutes, and collected the pipe from the main dealer while I waited.

car also has a lot more power now,

I can go back to loving my jag again

The following users liked this post:
Stip3 (11-05-2021)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM

sorry should have read Guys not guts , my big fingers

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi Bill, sorry mate, just saw this.

I was actually going to suggest the EGR valve, you say it was a split in the pipe?

Have they removed and cleaned the EGR valve?

If not and depending on your mileage it may be a worthwhile investment to remove the EGR valve and the inlet manifold and get them totally cleaned out, they're probably full of carbonised soot.
If you have some tools anddo a bit of tinkering this is something you could probably tackle yourself with a tin of carb cleaner ( around £5 )

I've included a link below to one on an Audi that shows what it can look like ( almost worst case scenario ) and then cleaned up & what it should look like.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...f1h0Re5b4n3cQw

Basically, it gets clogged up and stops the valve from working correctly, becomes sticky, causes black smoke and can cause over fueling too, perhaps in decrease in mpg?

If your car is high mileage and you intend to keep it for quite a while it may be something worth looking into?

For now, sounds like you're all good though.

X type before and after below for you......

Valve out

Gunk

Nice and clean

Cleaned out with paraffin...Messy job but only took a couple of hours. Easy to do, i found it a lot easier once i lifted the airbox out of the way.

Attached Thumbnails 06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down-egr4.jpg   06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down-egr2.jpg   06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down-egr3.jpg   06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down-egr1.jpg   06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down-egr6.jpg  

06 Diesel X type 2.0 black smoke when foot down-egr5.jpg  
Billsjag (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Hi Jim,

no problem, thanks for the photos, that was exactly the same as mine, I didnt think I would ever see one so bad again, its amazin the difference its made, they did remove the EGR valve and cleaned it, they used some kind of solution maybe the same stuff, I did think at the time that pictures may help others here but didnt have a camera with me.

its good to know you took the time to take some, I'm sure it will help others, I didnt even know where to look for the EGR valve until today

I think you may be right about having the manifold cleaned. I will have a look to see if I can do it.
thanks again
Bill

JimC64 (05-07-2013)
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi this is a follow up on my problem with my x type diesal estate black smoke from the back it has today been in to a jaguar main agent the problem appears to be the turbo does anyone know of a site i can get a how to change a turbo on this particular car.
Many thanks
Cascar