X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Jaguar X-Type be supercharged or turbocharged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/tandemmotorsports

Found some people willing to swap in a Supra engine to a X-Type, anyone else in Orlando, Florida? if so we may just have a solution to the problem of weak X-Types.

The following users liked this post:
Cherry_560sel (01-02-2016)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Hahaha, I don't believe that at all. They might have done it to an S Type, I saw one for sale in Orlando on Craigslist, but not an X type, and no way it would still be awd without using a whole different style transmission, transfer case and front differential, basically it would never ever happen.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Justink201
Hahaha, I don't believe that at all. They might have done it to an S Type, I saw one for sale in Orlando on Craigslist, but not an X type, and no way it would still be awd without using a whole different style transmission, transfer case and front differential, basically it would never ever happen.
Tandem Motorsports auto repairs and performance
Are you still interested in a 1jz swap for the jaguar s type?
We talked with our fabricator and he said he's had experience in the past with doing swap kits for jaguars
Zachary Alami
9:56pm
Zachary Alami
X type yeah, have been putting money aside for it
S type is a different jag though, it's like a M5 while the X type is more comparable to a M3
9:59pm
We were thinking of ways to do it and it can be done but will have to be rwd not awd. We hired a fabricator to join us and he said he's done custom engine mounts for xtypes and s types. We explained to him about doing the 1jz swap he said we can get it done for you with no worries
10:00pm
We have a 1jz automatic complete with harness and ecu in stock for $1400

Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Just a quick aside on a solid rear axle...Ford Countour/Mondeo front wheel drive has a proper-size rear axle for the X.

And a FWD Jatco box without fittings for the transfer case.

Mounts are off, but on the eighth day, God created the Heliarc!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by wa3ra
Just a quick aside on a solid rear axle...Ford Countour/Mondeo front wheel drive has a proper-size rear axle for the X.

so...4g63 from Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX to keep it AWD instead as a possible cheaper option?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM

Like I said, rwd, and ask them how much it would cost haha. You could have just bought the s type that was being sold a while ago, but frankly it didn't look worth the money. People should really be cautious about randomly picking shops that say they can do something no one has ever seen before. Show me proof that they have done any kind of engine swap into an x type, not an S type or xk or xj, an d type. The x type is VERY different from the other models jag built. There also isn't a big transmission tunnel built into the x types body structure so I highly doubt a rwd transmission would fit there without serious cutting and fabrication.

Swapping an engine into an s type would be significantly easier, and therefore cheaper, than doing it to an X. If you are serious about making a lot of power with an x type then save a lot of money and have someone build you a custom turbo setup and have the transfer case rebuilt with proper preload and drive it until something breaks. If you just want a fast jag there are factory built jags that would be faster than an s or x with a stock 1jz and would cost you a lot less.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I like mine the way it is, so I won't be going nuts, I've had my dual-turbo fun...on a minivan, no less...so I'll take my cushy X-type any day!

Like the old saying goes: "Speed costs money, son. How fast do you wanna go?"

Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

When you get it done make sure you post a lot of pictures and how much it cost you.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Done to somewhere near perfection, this is a rich man's project.

The big picture points I see:
Add 100+ horsepower to the engine bay
Keep it all wheel drive and robust
Rebuild the suspension so the car handles the same
Keep it looking like a genuine X Type

I'd say in the range of $20,000 for parts and labor, paid to an experienced shop that can get pass all the hurdles that will arise in a build like this. This is an R&D prototype project and can only be done right by the best. A lot of forethought and planning, then good documentation as to what actually happened so there is a record of the creation of this beast of an X Type.

X Types are such cool cars given the heritage of Jaguar and the performance and look of the X Type. I'd say it's a worthwhile project if $20,000 isn't worth much to you. The end product would be fun beyond belief. A true 4 door awd roadster.

Let's remember that acceleration is not just measured from a stop and straight line run. You are also accelerating when you turn a corner, esp. if you keep the same speed as you enter the corner. . That's why hitting corners feels so good. My X hits and holds corners like no rwd or fwd car can.

Jokingly, the X Type has incredible acceleration, and, it's not a dragster!

Last edited by Patterson; 03-05-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm all for putting more power to these cars but putting anything other than a duratec block in these cars is blasphemy.

Your cheapest route will be to use what is there and try to add some rigidity to the moving parts. No one has ever destroyed a tcase with too much power in these cars because no one has ever pushed it much further than its factory limits. Who is to say that the case can't handle It? I'm having an off road shop rebuild my unit while I build the motor and I'm just going to throw a ton of power at it hoping it will hold up. If not, next route is to fab in some sort of other jaguar/ford variant of the case that is rated for the power, such as the taurus sho case.

I'm doing it this way because I want jaguar serial/part numbers posted on the block and heads and other major components. I'm building a Jaguar x type, not some hybrid China **** bubble gummed together by someone who says they've done in a s type. Much, much easier in the s because of the way it's designed from the factory but that's all been stated already...

I mean more power to you (no pun intended) but man in my eyes, it just wouldn't be an x type anymore if its only got the shell of one.. I see, all the time, people putting LSX motors in foxbody's and what not and I ask myself why? Why not put a badass coyote motor in it and stick within the manufacturer? Or put that LSX in a 71 Tempest or something... It's like a cross dresser or a transgendered person, nobody will mess with you because it's just weird hahahaha. I'm kidding and no offense to anyone out there reading!

I'm interested in seeing the swap happen but honestly, I'm not holding my breath. I'm not hating and I know everyone is capable of doing whatever they want to their car so have at it but, there will be so much custom fabrication to make that happen! Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers to my fellow x type power hunters

Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a fix for the AWD issue, using 2 heavy in HP FWD units and mounting them tandem, one in the front and one in the rear. You lose some trunk space and some back seat, but you would have the only dual engine, quad supercharged, awd with 4 wheel steering x-typo in the world.

I have to go now, the fantasy thoughts of the doughnuts that car would do.....

Old 03-06-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Justink201
Like I said, rwd, and ask them how much it would cost haha. You could have just bought the s type that was being sold a while ago, but frankly it didn't look worth the money. People should really be cautious about randomly picking shops that say they can do something no one has ever seen before. Show me proof that they have done any kind of engine swap into an x type, not an S type or xk or xj, an d type. The x type is VERY different from the other models jag built. There also isn't a big transmission tunnel built into the x types body structure so I highly doubt a rwd transmission would fit there without serious cutting and fabrication.

Swapping an engine into an s type would be significantly easier, and therefore cheaper, than doing it to an X. If you are serious about making a lot of power with an x type then save a lot of money and have someone build you a custom turbo setup and have the transfer case rebuilt with proper preload and drive it until something breaks. If you just want a fast jag there are factory built jags that would be faster than an s or x with a stock 1jz and would cost you a lot less.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...87611401,d.eXY

Did it to an S-Type.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Yes I know that, that car was for sale about a year ago in Orlando for like 7 grand or something. Why so cheap I wonder? Also like said, the only thing an S type and X type have in common are the 3.0 engine they use, but even that has some very important differences. The x type chassis is totally different, so the fact that they did it to an s type is practically meaningless.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by wa3ra

Actually the contour is too old to share any chassis parts with the x type, since the Mondeo changed completely after the contour was dropped in the US. The ford fusion is a more likely candidate for having fwd parts for the rear suspension.

Also the ford focus uses some of the same suspension parts, and while some of the arms are different the mounting locations are the same on the subframe so that might work too if you used everything from the rear of focus, might even be able to bolt the focus subframe to the jag body (I'm hoping I can bolt the whole rear subframe from an x type into a focus some day for an awd focus hatch rally car I'd like to build haha). the focus uses the mtx75 too so in theory you could bolt that to the duratec v6 I think, or the contour/cougar mtx75 since the bolt pattern on the duratec v6 block is always the same regardless of the year or what car it came in.

Oh and of course, the diesel x type is already fwd so you could just buy the rear setup for one of those.

I don't like fwd cars though, they just aren't as fun to drive. The awd is the best part about the x type for me so I would give up awd for fwd but more power.

Give me about a year and I might be the one that blows up a transfer case after installing a turbo on my x.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Contour and sedan Mondeo share rear axles, X-Type has the same rear axle as 1993-2007 Ford Mondeo estate, only difference is that X has shock absorbers mounted to the chassis but on Mondeo they are mounted to the axle itself.

As for MTX-75 gearbox, inline and V6 have different starter locations. MTX-75 from a V6 Mondeo or Contour will fit directly to AJ-V6. Actual difference between X-Type and Mondeo manual gearboxes is the front diff and passenger side drive shaft hole size. There have been threaded holes for a TC from the year 1993 on every MTX-75 gearbox.

And I'm really sorry for my terrible english today.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Zalami3196 is right, I've think about this,it not about just a fast car, but a fast X-Type, I think most of the members here loved the X-Type for it' styling and luxury, size is just right, but we all wish it can be a little faster, say 300+hp; Between install the chargers and swap the engine, which is cost less and simpler? Beside a lots of modify, X-Type engine bay is very cramp.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Thang, like I have mentioned before in this thread, the compression ratio of this engine (10.5:1) is not supercharger/turbocharger friendly. What you really need is something in the neighborhood of say 9.0:1 or even 8.5:1. This would allow you to keep the pressures inside the cylinders reasonable and yet be able to apply a fair amount of boost to get some good power out of the engine.

As for the worries about the transfer cases. This seems to have passed as the ones that were built with some question about them have gone through the cycle and failed. There are members here that are playing with their X-Types and driving them pretty hard to see what happens.

If you are looking to build up an X-Type motor, there are plenty of internals that are available, you just have to look at the Duratec line of engines (which is what this engine is based off of). You can then rebuild the engine, bore it out slightly to get up to say 3.2L or even 3.3L in size which will help generate even more power. The guts of the engine will take what you can give it. Much beyond new pistons, the rest is pretty much set up to go. I just recommend the rebuild because the motor has worn itself in with a certain amount of power. From past experience, when you start adding a lot of power to an engine that has not be rebuilt recently, things start wearing differently and it leads to a major failure.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I was a year behind this threat, and I want to know how far any body had come out with this project, as Thermo said if you solved the TC problem lots of people will follow, is the Taurus TM & TC will fit the X-Type?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Yours is a laudable goal, and as Alfadude called it, "the holy grail" of many folks.

Blueprinting and balancing, porting and polishing - along with all the other tricks and options that make twisting a wrench both expensive and fun - will no doubt get you to your horsepower goals (simpler would likely be a different engine completely, which is acceptable because yours would be a 'one off', not an "all factory numbers match" build).

As most have mentioned, the weak link is indeed the drive-train, and I concur.

I have what I believe to be an elegant solution to finding out what drive-train units, members and parts you will have to upgrade to withstand such a massive increase in horsepower, and I must admit I am quite pleased with myself with the utter simplicity of the plan:

Purchase a single, small automotive-use bottle of NOS (Nitrous Oxide) like this:

and a small ball-valve like this:

Thread the ball-valve onto the tank, and run a hose from it to the engine intake manifold.

Aim the car down a suitable strip or street, put the NOS bottle in your lap or on the seat next to you and open the main valve, step gingerly on the gas pedal to start the car rolling, and then slam the ball valve open all the way, with the gas "pedal to the metal".

Even with the 2.5 liter you are running, you run a very good chance of having an instantaneous burst of 400 horsepower or so.

When you have stopped, walk back and determine what drive-train parts are now splayed from one end of said strip or street to the other, and replace those parts with something maybe a bit heavier.

Keep repeating, until you can finally smoke the heck out of all four tires without anything flying off, out or through your X-Type.

At that point, you will have provided yourself with enough "proof of concept" to move onto hot-rodding the engine.

Have fun, and video your results for us!

Old 11-18-2019, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you do it?

Did you finish the project?

Quick Reply: Can a Jaguar X-Type be supercharged or turbocharged?