X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issue?

x type 2002 2.5 jag at intervals the ac and radiator fans stop working.the engine begins to get hotter, after a while and with the motor "on off,"
the fans begin to work, I start the car and drive off and this previous condition does not appears for the rest of the drive. I checked fuses and they are in good condition. I don't want to overheat this engine. I had this car
since new, any good comments.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

<p>jesusoro1, I've moved your post from the general tech section to the X-Type section where it will have greater visibility and response.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>When you have a moment, stop by the New Member section and post an intro.&nbsp; In return, you will receive a warm welcome and useful tips for navigating the forum</p><p>New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum</p><p>Steve</p>

Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

jesusoro1, the AC is stopping to work because you are not getting air flow over the condenser (sits just in front of the radiator).

Unfortunately, it can be 2 things (most likely). You are looking at either a bad fan controller or a bad fan assembly. This is going to be one of those things that I think you are going to need to troubleshoot at a moments notice. What I would recommend is having a multimeter handy in your car for the next time this acts up. As soon as you see the temp gauge start to rise, find a place that you can safely park. Using the multimeter and a paperclip, you are going to slide the paper clip along the red wire (wire is most easily accessed at the fan control module next to the driver's side headlight) and into the connector till you feel it hit something (this will be a metal tab inside the plug). Place the red lead on the paper clip and the black lead on any metal part of the car. You should see 12 VDC. If you are seeing say 3 VDC or so, then this is telling me that you have a bad fan control module. If you are seeing 12 VDC, then you have a bad fan assembly. Of note, while the paper clip is installed, make sure the paper clip doesn't touch any metal parts. This will short the output of the fan module to ground and potentially damage it.

If you are suspecting a bad fan module, move the paper clip over to the white wire with a blue stripe. Again, slide the paper clip into the plug (this will be a different plug than the one going to the fans, but still connected to the fan controller). Measure the voltage here. If you are getting 12 VDC now, then this confirms a bad fan module. If you are getting a low voltage (under 5 VDC), then you have a problem with the ECM.

When you are all done with the checks, make sure to remove the paper clip. You may also find it helpful to turn on the dash heat on max to help remove the heat from the engine and give you more time in trying to diagnose this problem. You may want to try doing a few dry runs in your driveway to get a feel for what you will be doing. Having a multimeter with alligator clips will make things easier as you can clip the black lead to a ground (metal) point in the engine bay and then you only have to worry about clipping the red lead to the paper clip and sliding it along the wire.

HOpe this helps.