Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice

Have a 2005 X Type 5 speed all wheel drive, so basically it made a little noise
and then went crazy, car won't go in gear and makes a hell of noise when you try and put in gear, so had it towed in to place that has a ok and they said it's either transmission or transaxle ? Want 2400 to fix ? Does this sound correct my concern is I am not sure they even looked at it, just heard noise etc and gave price, I am clueless when it comes to this. Car was daily driver and ran amazing has 130k miles. Thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Coachee, from what you describe, I am placing money on the transfer case having failed. Not an uncommon issue with the car.

As for the price, that isn't too far off. If you go to Jag, they are going to hit you for around $3000 for a new transfer case and install.

The big things you need to be aware of is if they get a good used transfer case, what year car did it come out of? There are 2 different transfer cases for the X-Type. One was used from 2001.5 to early 2004. The other was used from later in 2004 till it stopped production in 2009. You have the later one. Both bolt up to the car and will function just fine, but there are differences. The earlier one is seen as a bit weaker.

If you want to make sure you have the correct transfer case, simply ask the shop if the transfer case has the viscous coupling in it. If they answer yes, then they have the earlier one. If they say no, then it is the later style. If you drive up north into more adverse weather, getting the one with the viscous coupling may be advantageous as the earlier transfer case helps transfer power better. This would be especially true if your car did not come equipped with DSC (black button on your center console marked "DSC"). In short, the later transfer case will send all the power to whatever wheel is spinning fastest and the earlier one tries to keep the power split 60/40 between front and rear and has the viscous coupling to make up for any speed differences between the front and rear wheels.

It is possible that it is the transmission that is having issues. But, without more information, I am going with the odds of what normally fails. I guess one question that comes to mind is when you say 5 speed, are you referring to the automatic 5 speed or the manual 5 speed? The manuals seem to be almost bullet proof and that would push me back to the transfer case being the issue. If you have the automatic, then this opens up a higher chance of a problem with the tranny, but the transfer cases were always a more common problem.

If you want to have them prove it to you, tell the shop to put the car up on a rack while in neutral and have them spin the tires by hand (ensure e-brake is off). As the tires spin, you should be able to hear the noises that you talk about and from there you should be able to narrow down what the bad part is as the tranny is on one side of the car and the transfer case is more towards the other side.

Either way, $2400 is not too far out of the question. It gets more into how are they going to fix things.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You !!! Yes it's manual
not automatic

Old 02-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Was there any kind of notice before this happened or pretty much running and shifting great, then next time you get in nothing happens?

Could it maybe be something similar related to the shift linkage? When you push in the clutch and then try and put it into gear what happens? Will it actually go into gear and then you hear a noise when you try and release the clutch or will the shifter not even go into gear?

Anything unusual about the feeling of the clutch, like the takeup point change or it has no tension on it when you try and depress it or it comes back up slowly?

Just seems odd that if the car was running great then all of a sudden it won't move. I would think if it was the transfer case or transmission you would have noticed something before. You have a very rare model. Not many 3.0 liter manuals out there. especially 2005s. Hope you get it sorted soon.