S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering S-type as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question considering S-type as daily driver?

Hi,
tried to search the forum, but it didn't point to a buyers guide or anything similar, Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I am new to the forum and to the Jags. Have been close to
buying one before couple of times, but never happened.
I found an ad for the 2005 3.0 S-type at slightly lower than
100K miles. Considering to use it as daily driver, 30 miles
mostly highway commute.
My experience working on my own cars is limited to mostly RWD Volvos, doing a non-major engine work like breaks, fluid
changes, some electrical component diagnostics and swap,
radiator swap, some minor suspension work myself in the
driveway, if necessary, but I am not really looking for another
project at this point. Got a simple OBD-II scanner too.

This would be the 2nd car, so some predictable down time is
non-desirable, but acceptable.
I am ready to spend $$$ up-front to replace potential
catastrophic failure-prone components, e.g. timing
belt, plastic radiator tanks, etc.... How expensive would that
be?

There is a Jag dealer in less than 3 miles from me, Never had to deal with
them, though.
Any good independent shop(s) working on Jags to go to in
Norhtern NJ around Morristown/Summit/Parsippany, NJ?

If I do go to check this car out, what should I be checking
first? What to look for in the service records in particular?

Do 3.0 have timing belt or chain? Is it interference engine?

Are they prone to rust? Both car and myself are in NJ.

Any really expensive failures like self-leveling suspensions?

What are the major differences between 3.0 and 4.0 in terms of features, especially those that make it more trouble to maintain?

How friendly would S-type be to modern electronics: Bluetooth, iPhone,
Android, iPod, USB? Would I have to replace the radio for that?
Any known good solutions there?

What about diagnostics tools? Any Manuals, Jag-specific
computer interfaces available?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
-Michael

--
740gle
chatham, nj, United States

Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Chain. They don't seem to fail at all.

See forum stickies for manual etc ...

You can Search for iPhone etc - not easy without costly ACM.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The 4.2 (no 4.0 after 2002) is no more expensive to maintain and operate than the 3.0.

If you DYI overall costs of owning one are reasonable.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious. Cost of the car?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by 740gle
Hi,
tried to search the forum, but it didn't point to a buyers guide or anything similar, Sorry if this has been discussed before....
....If I do go to check this car out, what should I be checking
first? What to look for in the service records in particular?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
-Michael

--
740gle
chatham, nj, United States

Welcome to the forum, Michael! Sounds like you have the requisite skills/temperament to keep an S-Type going as a daily driver without breaking the bank. I would caution you in using it as a "second" in that these models don't "sit dormant" very well. They like/need to be driven..... every day, if possible (except when in need of sched/unsched maintenance.)

As to what to look at should you choose to inspect it? You must first make an honest assessment of your level of car-inspection skills. If they are not AT LEAST several orders of magnitude more advanced than your web-search skills, I wouldn't bother... just decide if the color/décor/price are attractive enough and buy or not.
I believe all your questions are answered here, once Mikey unlocked it all with the advice that there is scant difference between the NA 4.2 and the 3.0 regarding your items of inquiry. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/

Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

A "big" problem that catches people is the failure of the self-leveling headlamps. The plastic aiming mechanism pieces become brittle with age and break causing lamp to pivot downward. There is a fix that has been very successful but it only works if a particular piece has broken (a screw is used to pivot the light upwards). However if other "bits" break there is no fix and the lamp needs to be replaced to the tune of ~$1400 (ask me how I know). People have repaired them, the "pieces" are available, but the repair involves heating the lamp in the oven to soften the glue holding the lens in place and then disassembling the lamp to replace the "bits".

When looking at the car make sure that the lights shine in the correct direction.

Other than that, I think most other things are usual for cars of that age and mileage. That is, things can and will break but there are few known "gotchas" with these cars.

But at that mileage I would recommend a complete service: drain/fill tranny, replace all fluids/filters, check brake pads, replace coolant/brake fluid, replace spark plugs, etc. Expect to spent ~$2K (but probably less) to get it "right". But you knew all that already... ;-)
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I would caution you in using it as a "second" in that these models don't "sit dormant" very well. They like/need to be driven..)
Not sure that I agree. Mine sits from November-April in winter storage. When it's on the road, it gets used maybe once or twice a week. Never a problem, knock on wood.

I think many of those who have had issues did nothing about keeping the battery charged while in storage. A tender is mandatory while in storage on any modern car.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Traded a 2007 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic back on August 17th, 2015 for a 2007 Jaguar S-Type R that had 64kmiles on it.
Here is a link to some of the issues I've had with this car.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643611489242389/

Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

By 2005, most of the growing pains in the design had been worked out...maybe except the 6-speed ZF transmission. I use my 02 ST as a daily driver...44 traffic-filled miles round trip. This forum is valuable, since mine has had repairs to most of the identified weak/trouble spots already addressed, as reported by members here, and folks here will help you avoid chasing ghosts.

Repair costs are actually the same as any other luxury brand, as I've owned Cadillacs and Infinitis, each having their own quirks and expensive parts. Having a trustworthy shop is key for longevity. Enjoy the ride!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Warspite
By 2003, most of the growing pains in the design had been worked out...including the 6-speed ZF transmission.
Fixed that for you.

As reviewed recently, there was nothing special or new in the 2005 and up beyond cosmetics.

The following users liked this post:
Warspite (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Fixed that for you.

As reviewed recently, there was nothing special or new in the 2005 and up beyond cosmetics.
Probably why there are fewer (if any) part outs on Craigslist for post-facelift models. 1st generation models are common ('99-'01) for bad drivetrains and damage that exceed value.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Redesign was 2003 (USA). Minor facelift 2005 which changed a lot of body panels. Depending what you want, pick the right era.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

First, welcome to this forum!

I'm in northern NJ too, and I use my '03 3.0 S Type as a daily driver, 350 miles per week. No rust on my car as of yet, 89k miles on the odometer so far.

As far as indy shops in northern NJ, I know of four located in: East Rutherford, West Caldwell, Hawthorne, and Flemington, all of which not too close to you.

As far as repairs, I've owned my car since July 2014, and so far, spent $2,000 in parts in DIY repairs/maintenance, all of which were common issues described on this forum. ( see my thread titled Year and a Half Review) DIY is a must, along with the Jaguar shop manual, aka JTIS. Its also a plus you have a OBDII scanner, a must have also.

Also I have used a forum sponsor for parts and they also give a discount for being a forum member.

Like others have said, read over the Stickies on the top of this S Type section, great information.

As for electronics capability, since the car is an '03, alot has changed since then, so as far as I know, you would have to retrofit components to make the car compatible with today's electronics.

All of the Jag engines available in the US for the S Type had timing chains.

Good luck with the car should you decide to purchase it!

In short, work out any repairs needed, and routine maintenance yourself with the JTIS manual and your OBDII scanner, shop around for parts, read this forum thoroughly, and people here can answer your questions, and you should be ok! And enjoy the car, its worth it!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't replace spark plugs, platinum spark plugs last forever.
Jags have Ford engines. 3.0 and 4.0 (4.2) engines are used in Lincolns and Fords. ZF transmissions are used in Fords.
I couldn't find connecting rod bearings for X-type, I used Ford listed bearings, they are identical. It is funny, huge bearing manufacturer Clevite didn't know that.

Last edited by car5car; 01-23-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Souhrada
Just curious. Cost of the car?
That one asked $5k, but I missed it, still on the lookout.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Welcome to the forum, Michael! Sounds like you have the requisite skills/temperament to keep an S-Type going as a daily driver without breaking the bank. I would caution you in using it as a "second" in that these models don't "sit dormant" very well. They like/need to be driven..... every day, if possible (except when in need of sched/unsched maintenance.)

As to what to look at should you choose to inspect it? You must first make an honest assessment of your level of car-inspection skills. If they are not AT LEAST several orders of magnitude more advanced than your web-search skills, I wouldn't bother... just decide if the color/décor/price are attractive enough and buy or not.
I believe all your questions are answered here, once Mikey unlocked it all with the advice that there is scant difference between the NA 4.2 and the 3.0 regarding your items of inquiry. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/
Thanks, yes, 2nd for me just means that occasional downtime is tolerable, but the idea s that it would take on the mileage that keeps raking up a bit too quickly for my other cars that are under warranty.
I did find the HowTos, thanks for the link. It didn't pop-up in the search, I was searching for "buying...".

Old 01-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy 68
First, welcome to this forum!

I'm in northern NJ too, and I use my '03 3.0 S Type as a daily driver, 350 miles per week. No rust on my car as of yet, 89k miles on the odometer so far.

As far as indy shops in northern NJ, I know of four located in: East Rutherford, West Caldwell, Hawthorne, and Flemington, all of which not too close to you.
West Caldwell is not that far from me, actually, ~10 miles. Others are a bit further, but with Volvos I used to go to a shop about 20 miles form me.
It's nice to have a shop as a backup, when I don't have time to do the work, or if it happens to beyond my tools and skills. Have you had any experience with them?
There used to be a shop in Wharton, on Main Street.
British guy, worked on old Volvos and Jaguars, wonder if he is still there, and whether he works on the newer Jaguars.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the information and pointers, guys.
Looks like there is a lot to read and learn.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

If you'd like to do at least simple DIY, there's a wealth of good info. (For more advanced DIY, too.) It'll save you money and I like to know what I did and why.

My STR has been my only (*) car for nearly 7 years. I can't afford down-time more than scheduled maintenance and an occasional quite hurried/stressful chunk of work.

(*) it's awkward and expensive to own more than one car for regular use here

Old 01-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by car5car
Don't replace spark plugs, platinum spark plugs last forever.
Jags have Ford engines. 3.0 and 4.0 (4.2) engines are used in Lincolns and Fords.
No. The plugs are due at 60K miles in the V6 and 100K miles in the V8s.

The 3.0 is a Ford engine used in Jaguars.

the 4.0 and 4.2 are Jag engines used in Lincoln/Ford. It is not Ford design or assimbled.

Quick Reply: considering S-type as daily driver?