XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

replacing the battery in my 2012 XF

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default replacing the battery in my 2012 XF

My 2012 XF is now 3 years old.
With the midwest winter coming.. I am wondering if I should get a new battery.
This jaguar tech says that the battery should be replaced by jaguar dealer, because they calibrate something.

Has anyone replaced the battery in their XF?

They seem expensive - $180. Not sure what the dealer charges. I emailed him.

If he charges only $200 or so, I might as well send it to him..

Just wondering if there are any $100 batteries.

btw, fyi, here is a link to the battery system parts

thanks

Last edited by jaguarxjl; 10-29-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

I went to Autozone and picked up one of their Duralast Gold batteries. They now offer a platinum version which I would get if I were shopping now. The Duralast battery model will pop up when you search for one that fits the XF. They aren't cheap though. The XF uses a very large battery.

As far as the 2009 XF there were no issues swapping batteries. I don't think the later years are any different.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Just barely did mine (2009 S/C too). I went to Interstate battery and just swapped it out. I wouldn't entirely worry about needing to do it now though. Mine was apparently the original, and it certainly let me know it was time. This is what my dash looked like when it was time to replace:

It cycled through every error known to man.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I went to Autozone and picked up one of their Duralast Gold batteries. They now offer a platinum version which I would get if I were shopping now.
I assume the XF has the vent tube (as in the pictures in parts list) and that the battery you bought, also has a vent tube?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
I assume the XF has the vent tube (as in the pictures in parts list) and that the battery you bought, also has a vent tube?
On mine, I reused the existing vent tube. The battery had a port for it.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I went to Autozone and picked up one of their Duralast Gold batteries. They now offer a platinum version which I would get if I were shopping now. The Duralast battery model will pop up when you search for one that fits the XF. They aren't cheap though. The XF uses a very large battery.

As far as the 2009 XF there were no issues swapping batteries. I don't think the later years are any different.
After having such great experience with AutoZone Gold batteries for the past 10 years, I can't get myself to buy anything else, especially not these super expensive Optima-style batteries.

I can't get myself to go with the Platinum because they have fewer size choices and you're paying significantly more for a much shorter warranty (3 years vs 5 years).

It seems strange to pay more for a battery that isn't expected to last as long as their less expensive batteries.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

If your car is like my old 2010 Premium Lux. then after you reconnect the battery you will need to calibrate the parking brakes and all the windows.

The windows are simple: Press and hold the window down button until the window is all the way down AND you hear a faint "Click" inside the door. Then hold the switch up and do the exact same thing, let it close and hold it until you hear a click. This is to relearn the auto up/down features. It may require you to do it a few times if it does not take the first time. Do that for each door.

The parking brake is not too much different. With the car running, in park, hold down the foot brake pedal and apply the electronic brake (you will feel the pedal go further down under your foot). Then release the electric brake. Repeat that process for 3 or 4 times and it should be good.

That's it.

I have never actually replaced my battery but have disconnected it several times for brake service and terminal cleaning.

Last edited by 10 XF Premium; 10-29-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
n8ertot (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
If your car is like my old 2010 Premium Lux. then after you replace the battery you will need to calibrate the parking brakes and all the windows.

The windows are simple: Press and hold the window down button until the window is all the way down AND you hear a faint "Click" inside the door. Then hold the switch up and do the exact same thing, let it close and hold it until you hear a click. This is to relearn the auto up/down features. It may require you to do it a few times if it does not take the first time. Do that for each door.

The parking brake is not too much different. With the car running, in park, hold down the foot brake pedal and apply the electronic brake (you will feel the pedal go further down under your foot). Then release the electric brake. Repeat that process for 3 or 4 times and it should be good.

That's it.
Replaced my battery a couple days ago and just noticed this morning that my auto-up on my window wasn't working. Thanks for posting this to let us know!

jaguarxjl (10-30-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
If your car is like my old 2010 Premium Lux. then after you reconnect the battery you will need to calibrate the parking brakes and all the windows.

That's it.

I have never actually replaced my battery but have disconnected it several times for brake service and terminal cleaning.
^ This.
I disconnected the battery a number of times on my old XFS, and I replaced the battery on my current XFR a few months ago, and every time only the windows and parking brake needed to be reset. But you will also lose your Trip A and Trip B readings.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:28 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Bosch is the battery I would recommend...I've used them for years..84 month pro-rated you can't beat...

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/jag...151332038.html

Also PepBoys sell them..

Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size 49
Bosch Premium Power car batteries are specially designed for long life. Through over 80 years of applied technological innovation, Bosch delivers unsurpassed quality and best in class performance. This car battery is constructed to dispense maximum cold cranking amps that will meet or exceed your vehicles OE specifications. Even in extreme temperatures, the Bosch Premium Power Battery provides dependable starting power you can rely on.◦The Bosch car battery, Group Size 49, is designed with a corrosion resistant grain structure to prevent sulfating and prolong life time.
◦Long life technology minimizes water loss and protects against corrosion.
◦If you are in the market for a battery replacement, the Bosch Premium Performance car battery is 100% maintenance free!
◦Bosch replacement batteries provide dependable power under extremes of heat, cold and high demand every time!
◦Bosch car batteries provide full coverage for upper class domestic and imported car segments.
◦The Bosch car battery line offers a 3-year free replacement.
◦Need a jumpstart? Bosch Premium Performance car batteries promise a 3-year FREE emergency jumpstart!
◦To prolong the health of your automotive battery, don't forget to pick up your Battery Terminals, Battery Testers & Battery Vent Tubes.
◦The Pep Boys Say: "Bosch batteries represent the pinnacle of technology, delivering all the power you need when you need it. Quality reputation, starting power and long warranty make Bosch the best choice in a premium battery."

Last edited by DPK; 10-29-2015 at 06:31 PM.
jaguarxjl (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I replaced mine with an Autozone Duralast Platinum, which uses absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology, is sealed and spillproof (but you still need to connect the vent tube from your original battery). Other AGM batteries are just as good. Just shop for the best deal in your area.

If you check the specs, AGM batteries tend to have the highest reserve capacity, which is key in this car.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Bosch is the battery I would recommend...I've used them for years..84 month pro-rated you can't beat...

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/jag...151332038.html

Also PepBoys sell them..

Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size 49
"
Does this have a place to connect the vent tube?
Unfortunately, consumer reports did not rate Bosch very high. Interstate, duralast and die hard were higher. Bosch was in the rather lower ratings.. But I do like the Bosch brand. They have never let me down.. I trust german brands.. Hopefully this is made in germany?
Is this AGM?
Thank you.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:48 PM

for 2012 XF, is there a 12 volt + terminal in the front, under the hood? Some cars, with hidden batteries, have a jump start terminal in front. I am wondering if this car has that.
I was going to put a 12 volt jump start battery onto it, while I am swapping out the rear battery - this way, there is no power lost.
Thoughts?
thanks

Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

No there is not any remote jump start terminals...But that would be risky in case you should by accident touch the Pos battery lead to the frame/body in the trunk some where..You won't need anything reset by the dealer..you will lose your memeory seats and the auto window feature but that's about it, both an easy reset.

Do you have a 12v battery charger?..you could clip on to the battery terminals before you lift them from the battery to preserve all your settings you maybe worried about losing...That's what I do with a battery tender.

All the BOSCH batteries I've bought had vent tube ports.....Actually, I've owned only two new Bosches in the last ten years..so they do last.

Last edited by DPK; 10-30-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Die-hard Gold Gel Cell here, do it yourself the $$$ you save will pay for the battery..LoL Pleanty of instruction on what needs to be done right here. Just search XF battery replacement.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:39 AM

I realize that the diehard gel and autozone batteries are excellent. Consumer reports rates them high, along with Interstate batteries.

I am of the opinion that it is better to buy a $100 to $120 battery, every 3 years, as opposed to $200 battery every 6 years. Am I incorrect?

Sams club has a duracell for $119. Which is a great price.
Local Farm and Fleet carries, I think, East penn batteries $100! Which I have never heard of..

Interestingly, eastpenn signed up to sell under duracell brand name.
http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...ive-batteries/

I think I will send my car to have the East Penn installed.. assuming it has the vent pipe in the correct (positive) side of the battery.

I am still debating about - whether or not to use 12 volt jump start battery, to retain power during the switching. I concerned, that it might cause an inadvertant spark.. Hence, the hesitation

Thanks to this forum, I know how to recalibrate the windows and parking brake.

Last edited by jaguarxjl; 10-31-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

There are battery packs with leads on them to retain settings. I think they use 9v batteries. I don't have one, but I know they exist.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:04 AM

If anyone is interested in Bosch, I found a good deal here
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...t_checkout.php

$146 including $19 in shipping.

Sams club has duracell for $119
Interestingly, as I wrote in the preceding post, east penn manufactures duracell.
I found a local store - farm and fleet in Milwaukee - which sells their store brand, said to be made by east penn for only $100. They even have "settings saver" installation, where they would attach a battery, while swapping.
I left my car there for new battery installation. Lets see if they actually save the settings!
It would seem to me that most likely, all the battery installers would have this "settings saver" option.
For $100, I think it is worthwhile to get a new battery, every 3 years..

Old 11-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Anyone contemplating using a battery charger as a float device would do well to check their charger with a peaking voltmeter when it is unloaded, like it would be with the battery removed. Most of them will produce peak voltage spikes of 25 to 50 volts!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Anyone contemplating using a battery charger as a float device would do well to check their charger with a peaking voltmeter when it is unloaded, like it would be with the battery removed. Most of them will produce peak voltage spikes of 25 to 50 volts!
Completely, I agree. I would never use a battery charger to charge the battery in my car, while the positive is connected to the car. Over the years, i screwed up to Lexuses. A LS400 and a LS430. The entire dash went dark for the 400 and the 430 never started again.. i had to have it towed to the dealer.
The battery chargers are very dangerous, even if loaded, if connected to the vehicle.
I came up with this idea.. Buy two 6 volt lantern batteries and use them in series, as memory holders. I would not even go through the cigarette lighter (considering the computers in the cars, I would rather not take the risk - even if it were minimal). I would just buy some wire and clamps and rig them up at the battery terminal wire.
The reason you cannot use the typical 9 volt is - for example my xf - it has a light in the trunk. The 9 volt would get killed in a second. The two six volt batteries might keep it alive for a minute - I am not sure of even that.. because the trunk light is not LED. I didn't check its current rating and the amp hour of the six volt batteries.

A better way is to let a professional installer install the battery. They seem to have "memory retainers". Not sure how they are connecting them.

Last edited by jaguarxjl; 11-03-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: replacing the battery in my 2012 XF