XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Emergency Trunk Release Modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Emergency Trunk Release Modification

Having read the stories of keys locked in trunk and various means of accessing the trunk i took a look at my 2001 XJR trunk release that had a yellow pull tab inside.
So here is my simple modification .
Remove the 2 bolts attaching the locking mechanism .Remove the yellow tab from release wire {push on tab and pull out T end of wire}
Remove license plate . Drill 3/8 " hole on right side of plate area at same height the locking mechanism release is , AND in line with the release wire clip/retainer.
Get a wide flat plastic screw bolt { I got mine from Lowes using the fattest Ford retainer I could find {and longest}
Flatten base of screw and drill a 1/8th hole through the screw from base to cap. This is were you'll pass the release wire through.
Holding the base of the plastic screw in vise grips and heat the screw .With long needle nose pliers in drilled hole of screw bend it as far as you can to an angle of 60+ degrees .{ works best if you as you bend alternately heat and cool}
You will want to mark which way the angle is pointing to align the bend towards the release mechanism.
Slit the screw completely on one side only to the center hole only .This enables you to push the release wire into plastic screw prior to threading it in hole.
Capture the release wire at locking mechanism and thread it thru the 3/8" hole Make sure there are no kinks in the wire , it is a straight pull to outlet hole,.Let the T end of wire come thru the end holepulling all loose wire thru and then insert the screw till its flush. "Make sure the 60 deg angle is pointing towards the release mechanism for a straight pull . Test by pulling . Should release trunk . seal with RTV etc. Cover the remaining wire and T end with License plate , Button up .
Sorry long explanation but a real quick fix and looks great .

The following 2 users liked this post by Graham Royls:
andrew lowe (03-24-2013), plums (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Default oops

new at this posting thing
Perhaps some one can redirect to the proper location
TXS

Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Default Emergency trunk release

By the way the plasticscrew from Lowes I used was Hillman Variable depth push fastner ,{Chrysler} H#88194.
worked perfectly.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Graham Royls
Having read the stories of keys locked in trunk and various means of accessing the trunk i took a look at my 2001 XJR trunk release that had a yellow pull tab inside.
So here is my simple modification .
Remove the 2 bolts attaching the locking mechanism .Remove the yellow tab from release wire {push on tab and pull out T end of wire}
Remove license plate . Drill 3/8 " hole on right side of plate area at same height the locking mechanism release is , AND in line with the release wire clip/retainer.
Get a wide flat plastic screw bolt { I got mine from Lowes using the fattest Ford retainer I could find {and longest}
Flatten base of screw and drill a 1/8th hole through the screw from base to cap. This is were you'll pass the release wire through.
Holding the base of the plastic screw in vise grips and heat the screw .With long needle nose pliers in drilled hole of screw bend it as far as you can to an angle of 60+ degrees .{ works best if you as you bend alternately heat and cool}
You will want to mark which way the angle is pointing to align the bend towards the release mechanism.
Slit the screw completely on one side only to the center hole only .This enables you to push the release wire into plastic screw prior to threading it in hole.
Capture the release wire at locking mechanism and thread it thru the 3/8" hole Make sure there are no kinks in the wire , it is a straight pull to outlet hole,.Let the T end of wire come thru the end holepulling all loose wire thru and then insert the screw till its flush. "Make sure the 60 deg angle is pointing towards the release mechanism for a straight pull . Test by pulling . Should release trunk . seal with RTV etc. Cover the remaining wire and T end with License plate , Button up .
Sorry long explanation but a real quick fix and looks great .
It would be great if you could post some pics

Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

I think the emergency release pull is only a US thing,[ has a symbol of an open boot and a man running away? ] even so where the cable fixes on will be of interest to many if you could post a photo or two.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Default Emergencytrunk release

Sorry not versed well enough to post pics . Tutorial from member might help me.
However the quick release for UK version would be after pulling the release mechanism out {careful with electrical wires . Look at the locking mechanism to left of where the main release cable is attached There is a lower slot for another cable {if cable not present} .
The idea is to connect to that slot and pull the emergency cable parallel to trunk bottom at same height as cable slot towards plastic plug.
Length of cable should be approx 6" longer than length of cable req'd to reach the plastic {elbowed } fitting . Run cable through the modified plastic screw/ plug . Cut wire to length desired . Put on small cap to stop cable returning into trunk/ boot .
Tape wire / cable to vehicle and replace the license plate.
Sorry if the write up is long but it really is an easy thing to do.
Use the plastic plug mentioned previously and angle it towards EM cable /slot.

The following users liked this post:
andrew lowe (03-26-2013)