XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 XJ8L TPS, Throttle Body & Transmission issues. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 XJ8L TPS, Throttle Body & Transmission issues. Please Help!

Hello! I have been benefiting from this forum for a while now and as a person with basic skills and knowledge have saved myself a lot of time and cash. Now I am to a point that I need to get some knowledge from someone more experienced regarding my specific issues and hope I can find best route to go.
Last November had engine replaced on my 98 xj8l for 2nd time in 6 years due to time chain failure. When the shop finished they told me the car was idling hard due to TPS issues and that if I drove it approx. 100 miles it would reset and codes would disappear.
Put about 200 miles with no luck so brought to local jag shop for diagnosis. Paid $140 and told Throttle body had to be replaced as the sensors are bad and no one re-furbs or reprograms them. When they told me the part with labor was $3k I decided to wait. Found one approx. 5 months latter online brand-new for 1k. Installed myself as jag doesn’t let and shops around here don’t allow you to buy your part and slap it on. I also replaced alternator and battery as they said those were likely culprits. I drove the car prior to changing anything and got a Trans fault that would reset when car shut off and could be duplicated. I guessed that because it sat for 5 months that it could just need some fluid as after the 1ts engine I replaced it needed a quart or two added approx. 500 miles after they installed it and assumed same issue so installed Throttle body, alternator and new battery. Went to turn over and it turned but didn’t fire. Assumed that spark plugs might be wet so I changed them out and engine cranked. However codes still on. Had a friend that had computer with jag key for computer do reset on codes and they came right after cranking. Had car towed to shop that put engine in and they top Trans fluid and reset, shop went to drive said heard pop in tranny and turned off said I needed new transmission. Towed to Trans shop and they had car 2 days drove it and said no code present or faults present from time they got it off truck and they drove it approx 25 miles. Told me to take to specialty shop for European cars before I sent throttle body back as thought I had lemon part. Drove car over to next shop and the mechanic did diagnosis and said both sensor wires were bad. 385 later car running like new. Upset me that Jag dealer shop told me needed new Throttle Body as only option as sensors and such where bad and needed total replacement.
Now here comes the kicker.. Drove car 50 miles or so and Trans fault light comes on, wont go out of 1st gear into 2nd and trans fault stays on. Hooked up to my buddies’ computer and he said code P1722 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio - Stall Speed. Have read numerous posts stating the noises from past sound like busted drum, and need total rebuild. However, I have gone from trans working to not, working to not, working to not. Im not clearing code as if it need Trans shop again want them to solve, however my question is this – If you bust a drum on this car or blow a gasket or something wouldn’t it not have worked at all? If toast and drove it more its just going to be burnt toast meaning its not going to go back to working?
Thank you for any help!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, what a cluster$@%....
Unfortunately it does sound like your tranny finally gave in. Mine did at about 110k, and the tranny shop was able to confirm that easily by dropping the tranny oil pan and finding pieces of the drum... Rebuilt tranny $2800.... Hope this one will last another 110k....

Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

My totally unprofessional, immature approach at this point would be to pay up my AAA, get out on a long straight road near an AAA tow service and beat the C**P out of the tranny until it broke completely or decided to behave. Others probably have a much better approach.

The following users liked this post:
jfmelius (04-28-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM

I just had my tanny replaced. Found one in a junk yard with 15k on it. Tranny and install by a mechanic was $2500.00. I use car-part.com able to search yards throughout the country.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Well Tranny shop looked for electric problem could see any then reset the codes and tried to drive and nothing said it had to be mechnical... Ive heard that before with TPS..lol, quoted 2500 for rebuild with 1 yr, found shop that had city of Houston police account that will rebuild for 1400 w with 1 yr warranty, Lots of good recommendations though selling car to brother-in-law to recoop 5.8k in expenses over last 12 months in tows, parts, fluids, plugs, altenator, battery, throttle body, TPS wires, engine, labor, shop bills with labor exctra and ill let him deal with it and deciede where to take it, though he says hes going to buy kit and rebuild himself, hes an electrical engineer so i wish him luck, but for 2500 or even the bargain quote of 1400 I still wouldnt attempt a rebuild myself as Im guessing it gets rebuild then sensor or wires or somthing else will go wrong. Shop compared Tranny to space shuttle.. This ships sinking... Just hoping brother-in-law doesnt change his mind once he gets under it, if so Ill be deciding which gamble to take, shop quoting 1400 said that was price on broken drum rebuild, worse case he says 150 more if he finds something else internally, says of 1400 700 parts and rest labor, so even if I get stuck and have to buy a junked one 700 not bad for labor. Jfmelius can I ask the price you paid just for tranny? might have to give that a shot, if anything If I end up keeping it I will try car-part.com to look for other items if resonable. I have always used Jagbits.com but found them to be a little high on some stuff, though occasionally find someting new for really resonable prices.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I got mine transmission with 15k w/ 1year, for $1400. If you can't find one with low miles don't get it.