X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high mileage x owners.....do I keep her?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default high mileage x owners.....do I keep her?

2004, 3.0, auto, 157,000. Only issue is a ticking a/c compressor when engaged. No problems, no codes, in fact data logging shows pretty much everything i measured within proper limits.

But, at 157,000 I'm balancing value with potential issues. At this point, I'm wondering about the trans, transfer case and fuel pump. Trans has remanufactured sticker. Trans and case have no leaks. Shifts perfect, noise free.

When I bought the X, I was looking for a Tbird super coupe. Couldn't find one and study showed that this Jag had more to offer....except the supercharger.

Last item prior owner did was oil pan gasket and cooling fans. I've personally done plugs, IMT and intake gaskets, fuel filter, belt, tensioner, coolant bottle, pcv hose, pcv valve, vacuum line to fuel pressure reg, tires and cleaned MAF and throttle body. And re glued the a and c pillar cloth!!

I've done fuel pumps before but not where I had to remove exhaust (an 11 year old exhaust). And it wouldn't be cost effective to install trans or even a transfer case given the current value of the car.

Emotionally....love the car. Great lines, great interior. Fun to drive. Practically, I put 6,000 miles a year on it. Don't want to have to donate it or part it out if something big goes. I know there are no guaranties in life. Could break something tomorrow. But the more miles...the more potential issues.

So...do I move it on now while I can still get decent $$.....or drive it on?

Old 09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Silkcat, I was in somewhat the same situation as you. I had a 2005 with 150K on it. Car was running well, but I probably needed to put close to $2K into her before winter as I was going to replace the shocks and struts and some front suspension stuff. Plus, I needed new tires for winter. Basically wear items. I would do that and have an 11 model year car with 150K miles on it worth maybe $3K or so if I was lucky. So, I just decided to trade her in and get something newer. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer as everyone's situation is different.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say it is still worth some $$$$. It is a 12 year old car with 157K miles on it. Even in great shape if you sell it privately you will only get a few thousand for it. Hope it works out for you.

The following users liked this post:
silkcat (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Alfadude....thanks. My comment about worth some $$ is relative. In our market, it should sell for $3500+. Not big money but not bad considering what I paid for it.

I know there's no correct answer. Just looking for folks like you for some insight as my emotional attachment to the X clouds my practical attachment!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

157k, it's just broken in! Keep her!

Old 09-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it depends on one's finances, combined with your ability (and willingness), to work on your own car. A good X -type with 50,000 miles is going to set you back $7 or 8 grand. That's still a bargain, compared to what else is out there. Yet a lot of components are affected by age almost as much as miles. Some things do better if they are continually used. You can pay $10 to 12 grand for a '04 -'06 nice Toyota or Honda, with comparable miles, but what do you get? Then consider, is a Lexus or Acura easier (and cheaper) to maintain than a Jag. I think not. All of today's cars are a real challenge for us over the hill shade tree mechanics. If you're the kind of guy who has to take your car to the dealer for an oil change, you should not own an old Jag, and you should probably not be on this forum. British cars in general are for the adventurous spirits out there. Get the best one you can afford and take good care of it. Maybe just have a normal car sitting around for those days when something goes wrong. But don't give up on the adventure.

argentas (09-15-2023)
Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I have about 193k miles n mine, many people have over 200k and going strong. The x type is no different from any other car, if you take care of it, it will keep going for as long as you are willing to keep it up. Also there is no guarantee that the next car you get won't break down within 10k miles, need thousands in repairs and be worth half what you paid for it. Basically ask yourself if you want to keep driving and maintaining an X type or a different car.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I am in the 170's also, re manufactured tranny also-jasper.
Car is going good, my rear wheel bearings are going and one needs replaced.
Shocks and struts are ok, mechanic would probably say replace them.
Headliner is coming loose, had drivers seatbelt latch go bad.
I get a random ABS light, about once a week, goes away with restart every time.

For the fuel pump, possible to put an aftermarket one under the hood and leave the bad one in place, not sure if it can be done on the jag, but done it on other vehicles.

I would say keep it. It seems like it has been maintained well.
And it's so much fun in the snow.

My uncle had the original supercoupe, was a nice car, be doing 100 mph and not even realize it till them blue lights flash.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM

Thank you all. I do all my own work so no worries there. Most parts aren't terribly expensive at rockauto or other sources. It was obviously cared for and obviously driven. I now drive about 100 miles per week on average so she gets exercised regularly. With other cars, I've not still been emotionally tied to them when I moved them on. This one is just so dang pleasing.....to the eye and for the driving. I have never had a car ride this good much less one with 157 on the clock. The other thing is that nothing else (affordable) strikes me. Been thru MG's (1973 MGB bought new), TR6, countless Mustangs, trucks, Jeeps, etc. There's really nothing out there that hits me like Jags (again...nothing that I can afford).

Something may pop up but for now, she'll stick around.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbottom
I think it depends on one's finances, combined with your ability (and willingness), to work on your own car. A good X -type with 50,000 miles is going to set you back $7 or 8 grand. That's still a bargain, compared to what else is out there. Yet a lot of components are affected by age almost as much as miles. Some things do better if they are continually used. You can pay $10 to 12 grand for a '04 -'06 nice Toyota or Honda, with comparable miles, but what do you get? Then consider, is a Lexus or Acura easier (and cheaper) to maintain than a Jag. I think not. All of today's cars are a real challenge for us over the hill shade tree mechanics. If you're the kind of guy who has to take your car to the dealer for an oil change, you should not own an old Jag, and you should probably not be on this forum. British cars in general are for the adventurous spirits out there. Get the best one you can afford and take good care of it. Maybe just have a normal car sitting around for those days when something goes wrong. But don't give up on the adventure.
Well said sir!

Old 08-08-2017, 04:40 AM

Hi purchased x type in oz least lucky 8000 $ 60'000 klm bargain I'm happy

Old 08-08-2017, 04:49 AM

Of course have mine 2weeks love it work ed in jag 1969 fine tlygot one x type

Old 12-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I know, its line so pleased to the eyes, you put so much times hugging the car, it's became bonded and hard to part. Most X-Type owners love the car for styling, comfort, and handling and affordable luxury, when you drive the it stand apart from the others.I went through 3rd X-Type; Other two were totaled, right now I have a high mileage Volvo Cross Country for work horse, my current X-Type will become my toy, weekend driver, I have an extra engine, will find a trany and transfer case for spare, only way to part my X-Type is up grade to a newer, lower mileage DVP or add an XJ to my stable. If you want to part with it, do it now while it's still saleable, don't wait till mileage too high or irreparable.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
I know, its line so pleased to the eyes, you put so much times hugging the car, it's became bonded and hard to part. Most X-Type owners love the car for styling, comfort, and handling and affordable luxury, when you drive the it stand apart from the others.I went through 3rd X-Type; Other two were totaled, right now I have a high mileage Volvo Cross Country for work horse, my current X-Type will become my toy, weekend driver, I have an extra engine, will find a trany and transfer case for spare, only way to part my X-Type is up grade to a newer, lower mileage DVP or add an XJ to my stable. If you want to part with it, do it now while it's still saleable, don't wait till mileage too high or irreparable.
do what i did.... drive it hard and have fun! while stashing some cash so u can get a newer one when you kill it. then u keep the old one as a parts car. well thats what i did

Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Keep the Jag!

Especially if you have a great mechanic and another car! I don't have kids and their debt, so I just keep the car and maintain it.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to have found this nearly 10 years later, looking forward to giving this a go!

Jeff Wallman (04-23-2023)