X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question of value

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A question of value

What should one consider paying for a 2003 x type 2.5L auto, with a bad transmission (I'm assuming worst case scenario) and a few minor dings?? 135k miles.

My preference is to buy a car that is 100% but the budget will not allow that.
If I can buy the car cheap enough I can repair it. Just curious as to what the seasoned Jaguar veterans would say...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

$1000
No more if it's in that bad condition.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Wow! That cheap?

I don't know that the rest of the car is in bad condition. Current owner says car will start and drive but will only drive at less than 10mph- basically making it undrivable until it's fixed.... Oh and I think there is a dent from a baseball on the trunk and it's apparently been smoked in (usually a huge no-go for me).

If I could score the car for $1k I suppose I could stomach a few grand to replace the trans but I have yet to find definitive resources for a reliable trans...

Any one else? Just looking to get an idea of what the experts here would feel ok paying... Any response is fine with me... just looking for guidance.

Last edited by boostmaster; 04-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, I was looking at your other thread regarding the transmission issue and was going to ask how much they were asking for this car.

$1,000 might be right on the money. A car that age, with that mileage is worth $3,780 in "Excellent" condition according to KBB and $2,730 in "Fair" condition. I would rate this car "Poor" because it isn't drive-able so between $1,000-$2,000 sounds fair. I'm not sure what else you're looking at with this vehicle so that price assumes most things aside from the transmission are in reasonable condition

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Are you sure it might not just be in Limp mode and that the transmission might be fine? If so, it might be a steal. See if you can get the codes read.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM

I've got a scan gauge so I can scan the car if I buy it. I'm hoping it's an easy fix but I have to see if the seller is desperate enough to sell for $1k... Luckily, I'm able to walk away from any deal that ain't right.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM

152 views and 3 responses?

Come on folks, it's not a hard question.

What is this possible purchase worth?

Just trying to get a strong consensus one way or the other.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my mind I've got 4 major factors.

1. Severity of the issue (IE what's wrong with the tranni)?
2. Overall condition of the car. Seeing how the car is only worth around $5k fixed in average condition.
3. Are you turning your own wrenches?
4. What is the purpose of the purchase. Drive or flip?

I personally turn my own and still wouldn't pay more than 1.5 - 2k TOPS. That would only be if everything else is in working order. You've got to think.... scrap it's worth $600-$800, parts $2K and a year to move, fixed $5k. So the better question is what do you plan to do with it and are you able to wrench on it yourself... It's a Jag, you will be taking on risk. If you are not prepared to lose on the investment, move to the next opportunity.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM

Good points!

1. Don't know what's wrong with the trans, just trying to think about worst case scenarios.

2. Car looks to be in overall decent condition aside from a dent in the trunk and having been smoked in. (bear in mind I've only seen pictures- the car is 3 hours from me)

3. Me and the wife turn the wrenches. (I've never touched an automatic trans and generally avoid them on principle... I guess it will be an adventure!)

4. Purpose of purchase? It for my mother... She has asked me to find her something fancy. Her selections have been boiled down to BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes. The catch is a small budget- so we're looking at older cars with higher miles that have been relatively well cared for. I can handle most of the mechanicals so, it's just a matter of finding the right car... (Starting to look like BMW might be easier to work on)

Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Personally I wouldn't get it.. if it has a dent in the boot, the tranny is playing up.. you may need very little money to sort it, or a load.. in my case I waited till September when dealers need to shift last years stock, and part exchanges.. and got mine for £1900 with a few scratches where the previous owner had scoured (yes scoured) bird poo off a few places but was otherwise a clean car.. it's easy for a Jag esp with auto trans to become very expensive - but then you might be lucky - your call obviously but there are some very clean working Jags out there and if you wait one may well come along .... sorry I cant help more

Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 AM

I hear you. Every opinion helps.

I know that there is always a risk when buying a used car and I usually avoid the auto trans cars like the plague (it seems to me that the automatic transmission is the most neglected part of the car along with the differential) ... Sadly, it's a requirement so- I'm kinda stuck...

Honestly, my preference would be to buy a used Honda(cheap and easy) but, she wants fancy so I'm on the hunt.

I have a decent body shop so I'm not too worried about the dent- as long as it's not some major body work...

The trans and possibly the transfer case is the major issue. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and go see the car.

If anyone has any other thoughts please feel free to post. All feedback is welcome; especially from folks experienced with these cars...

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well sounds like it would be a good project for you personally. I probably wouldn't buy a busted up Jag for my mother... just seems like it would lead to a lot of headaches for myself. From what you described it sounds she is expecting some sort of non-reliability!? Kind of a weird situation with her wanting a luxury car on a small budget wanting it to be turn key and reliable. Frankly I'd be looking for something along the lines of a Lexus or Infinity, possibly BMW with them being fairing easy to work on. ES300, LS400, G20, 3-series, etc... s-type?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM

I'm with you there! I mentioned the Lexus and Infinity but the body styles she can afford are "ugly"- even though the cars are greatly reliable. She likes the BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar- with Jaguar taking top honors in "cute" factor... We've looked at a few S-types as well. I even mentioned Cadillac- She claims it's too big, too boring and it's what old people drive....

I'm starting to lean toward the BMW 5 Series (not too big and not too small- late 90's early 2000)- They're ubiquitous and priced in the same range. Straight 6 is nice and easy to work on and there is lots of room to work... just need to find one that isn't trashed. They all seem to be beat to hell.

The Jaguar I've been looking at (in pics) is priced so low so as to be a steal- my concern is the reliability but sometimes mothers can have some unrealisitc expectations...

Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

So, just what IS your mother's budget? If it is high enough you should be able to find one that is in better condition and less of a risk. I understand you want to spend as little as possible, but you replace the transmission and that might not be the only thing wrong with it, Then you buy the car cheap, spend a lot more money getting it up to snuff and it takes a lot longer before your mother can actually drive it and you are spending a lot of off time and weekends trying to get it going. I would think it wouldn't be that hard to find something that is less of a risk even though it is more money. I suppose it depends on how much you value your time. Hope it all works out no matter what path you choose.