X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage X type Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking good advice, from a recent buyer!

Originally Posted by Polarsoccer35
Hey everyone, im new to this site and just have a few questions.
Im looking at buying a 2004 xtype. 3.o automatic with 88xxx miles on it. It has a salvage title but was professionally repaired. It was hit on the front right side but looks fine now. I brought it to my mechanic to have him check it out and he said it looks great and runs great. The only from he said was there was a very small oil leak which i believe he was would cost 1300 to repair but he said he wouldn't worry about it until it got any worse and he wasn't sure if it would.
First off, 6 grand for an R-titled Jag is OUTRAGEOUS. Go back and talk to the dealer with your mechanic, and have him talk about what's wrong. Anything you say with your mechanic there means 1-you're serious about the car, and 2- you aren't going to take any of their bull****. Secondly, I just bought an '02 Xtype 2.5L (see my garage) with 88k on it. There are a few issues known with Jags, like the transfer case and tranny, the oilpan is leaking on mine as well, and I have a bad exhaust repair job, so it may happen for you. Third, if it's the oil pan itself, I've seen OEM parts for 264 online, so I would think 1300 is a bit steep, but I'm kindof a DIY guy by nature, so if you don't like getting your hands dirty, you can go to the guy. Finally, check the integrity of your belts: my serpentine belt is going bad, and it's a small fix but a big one for the road.

Other than that, you shouldn't need anything else.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would personally stay away from a salvage title car.. It may look like it was fixed on the outside, but who knows what it looks like under the panels. And down the line when you want to sell it or trade it in, no one is going to take the risk and purchase/take on trade a car with a salvage title.

Save your money and continue to look for another X if this is the car you want. You could find a lower mileage X from $12,000 and under with a clean title and nothing leaking from it or other costly issues.

The bottom line with owning a X, take care of the car and it will take care of you. Keep up on all the service: meaning oil changes, trans flushes, transfer case, diff, etc.. The car will treat you well for yrs to come.. BUT please stay away from a salvage titled car, your opening up a can of worms for yourself..

Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree Pete. But it's not up to us really...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know but hopefully he will take our opinions and make a smart choice about purchasing this car..

I just think with all of the little qwerks our X's have buying something salvaged is a wrong move.. You never know, he could be drivng down the road and BAM the TC or trans goes.. It could be because it took such a hit from that accident it jarred the gears or something else in the trans/TC..

I know because it happened to my wifes old Honda Civic.. The car was blasted by someone running from the cops speeding through lights. They fixed it good as new as far as the body.. BUT never checked anything else out and it had a small hairline crack in the transmission case. Overtime it got worse and leaked trans fluid everywhere.. Took it to the dealer and it needed a new trans, the car had less then 20k miles on it.. Thank god for the warranty because they replaced it.. With some resistance but she stood her ground and it was replaced with just a $50 deductible.

Now the X is out of warranty so any further repairs is totally out of his pocket. And with X's it could be costly..

Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm with the majority. A rebuild is still a rebuild if you sell it, so you're buying perhaps a problem and if it becomes one you have the rebuild tag on it making it even harder to sell than a regular Jag, which has it's own history. The only people to get a jag, want a jag, most others are frightened away by the stories they heard in the 80s about british cars.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If it's a salvage title can you be sure the mileage is even correct?

For what it's worth, I'm also with the majority. I personally would pass on this one. The price doesn't seem attractive (you didn't say what options it has) being a salvaged title. The leaking oil pan gasket puts the price to $7300. Unless you plan on keeping this until it's dead, you will have a hard time selling it. Hope it works out whichever way you choose, but to me the cost/benefit isn't there. Now if it was like $3k........

Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Professionals opinion

Run away from this car as fast as you possibly can!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Run, its a poltergiest waiting ot be released, mine had 75000 kilmeters, yes kilmeters on it, an 02, 2.5l, and its cost me 12000 canadain, you sir are getting f**ked

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Polar, one more thing. Don't sour on buying an X-Type, just not this one. To me they are great cars, especially for the money. I'm sure you could find one that woudl be perfect for you with a little patience. Just make sure you do your research and know the car. Like any other make, these cars have different trim levels and option packages. So before you buy make sure you are understanding what are getting. Don't automatically think that it's a great deal because you can buy a Jag for less than $10K. Check the history and depending on your level of car savvy, have it checked out my a reputable shop. For what you can get for the money paid, I can't think of a better used car, especially if you are in a snowy area. I have had mine for about a year and a half and it's been pretty much bullet proof. I come to appreciate it more and more each day. Hope you end up with teh same experience.