New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to me 2001 S-Type 4.0l

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2001 S-Type 4.0l

Hey,

First off thanks for having this site, already been useful. Last week I was killing time on Craigslist just seeing if anything cheap caught my eye. I have a 2000 Mountaineer that isn't exactly "fun" to drive so I was doing some searching on the internet for something zippier and maybe better gas mileage. Not to replace my mounty, but complement it. I came across a listing a 2001 s-type 4.0l with 96k miles and supposedly a blown head gasket, cheap enough fix just takes some time. Go to see it and it's been sitting for a year with a completely dead battery. After a long jump from my car we got it started and there wasn't any smoke coming out the exhaust, so if there is a blown head gasket it must be blowing "out" and not into a cylinder and it ran smooth. Besides that no rust and an almost spotless interior. I called him later and offered $1500, he initially said no, but called me back 30 seconds later and took it. The next day I drove it home (about 3 miles) after dropping a new battery. He was shocked I was going to drive and was certain it needed to be towed. Things I noticed were a misfire at idle, what appeared to be a busted rear window actuator, and some slipping from the tranny. I've had the tranny fluid changed hoping it would fix the slip but of course it got worse but now gone with a bottle transmission slip fix I added it appears to slip no more. However, after just one day with new fluid it was already looking dark (I let some out before I added the transmission fluid additive to make room) so I will probably go ahead and drop the pan to clean it out. Might have sludged up a bit from sitting so long? Besides that, since I got it last week Wednesday I have: replaced engine oil, replaced air filter, replaced spark plugs and coil packs (seems to have fixed the misfire and brought a lot of power back to the engine), replaced the rear window actuator, cleaned the MAF sensor, added blown gasket fix to the coolant (haven't noticed a drop in coolant level yet since adding it). I think that's it. I also plan on looking at the rear suspension since there is an occasional sound coming from back there.

A word on the horrible lug nuts: After wasting 1.5hrs tearing off 2 of those horrid lug nut covers I found a much solution. Use a socket 1 size smaller than will fit over the lug nut cover and pound on with small sledge hammer and voila. I have since ordered replacement lug nuts to be gone with them.

Any questions or comments?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a wash and wax

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dan,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Thanks for the interesting Intro. It looks like you've got yourself a bargain. I'd make the transmission fluid change a priority as 'sealed for life' is very misleading with Jaguar transmissions!

It sounds like you've probably already found your way to the tech forum but if not, follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Mid West Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-mid-west-il-ia-mi-mn-mo-oh-wi-39/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 08-27-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Dan,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

<p>welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!</p>