XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission Problems 1998 xj8

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems 1998 xj8

Hello All,
I have a 1998 xj8 with 160k miles. I have had the car for 10k miles and I really love it, it is one of the most beautiful cars that I have ever seen and I have enjoyed owning it very much even with the problems that it has had.

I am starting to have transmission problems and I would like to prepare myself for dealing with it. The transmission makes some rough gravelly noises while shifting and jerks while shifting from 1st to 2nd. At times the transmission has slipped when starting from a stop and has also caused the engine to stall when coming to a stop. I think it is leaking transmission fluid as well.

What would be the wisest course of action here? Sell the car for whatever its worth? Get a transmission rebuild? Flush and replace the fluid and hope for the best?

I am confident with engine work and almost any other part of the car, but have never owned a car with an automatic transmission before so I am not experienced in this. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbrotherjohn
Hello All,
I have a 1998 xj8 with 160k miles. I have had the car for 10k miles and I really love it, it is one of the most beautiful cars that I have ever seen and I have enjoyed owning it very much even with the problems that it has had.

I am starting to have transmission problems and I would like to prepare myself for dealing with it. The transmission makes some rough gravelly noises while shifting and jerks while shifting from 1st to 2nd. At times the transmission has slipped when starting from a stop and has also caused the engine to stall when coming to a stop. I think it is leaking transmission fluid as well.

What would be the wisest course of action here? Sell the car for whatever its worth? Get a transmission rebuild? Flush and replace the fluid and hope for the best?

I am confident with engine work and almost any other part of the car, but have never owned a car with an automatic transmission before so I am not experienced in this. Any suggestions are welcome.
Decision on recommending how to proceed would be based on the overall condition of the car, your available budget and on how long you plan to hang on to it.

Professional Transmission rebuild is $2500 to$3000. Anything less would be questionable. You can find a used trans at a recycling yard anywhere from $500(?) to $1000. In California recycling yards will give a 3 months warranty, but that's just enough to sell the car)). I've had used experience with a used trans in my 4runner that went both ways. My first replacement gave out literally few days after the warranty expired. I had another one installed (also used) and it turned out ok. So it's a roll of a dice with a used trans.

If the rest of the car is Grade A and you intend on keeping it for at least 2 more years then rebuilding is worth considering. Keep in mind however that a 15 y.o. Jaguar with 160k I good running condition is a $5k car (unless you are in Moscow - then it's $15k))). The trans rebuild is about 50% of the car's value.

If its has other issues (plastic tensioners, a/c or electrical issues, rust(?), etc) then a used trans is a good option to bring the car back to a "selling" condition.

At current mileage and with bad trans, you would be hard pressed to find a buyer for more than$2500. Please keep in mind that I'm expressing my opinion only.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Once you start to have any problems with a transmission it needs to be looked at ASAP -- on the chance that it is something simple. Normally, by the time you feel something the damage is done. So I would use a rebuild price for estimating what to do

I went through this a couple years ago with a 2000 Lexus es300 at 200k. I had owned the car since new -- the car was in unbelievable shape and had always been properly maintained -- and needed nothing. At the time the car (fixed) was worth a bit more than twice the trans rebuild of $1900.00 -- so I had it done and we have since put another 50k on the car with little additional work.

I'm not sure if I would do the same with a Jaguar.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

OK, so we are expressing our opinions here, and I can certainly add to that. What would I do?

My VDP has 87K now (roughly half the mileage than yours), but I plan to keep it for the rest of my life, and it's in the PRISTINE condition.

So,.....step one: tranny starts to show "issues" (eventually it will), I would service it with the new oil, filter, etc.

Step two: I would buy a used tranny on the junk yard (plenty of them in CA), and get ALL upgrades for it. I would deliver it to my mechanic, and let him take his time in rebuilding it.

I'd keep on driving on my "sick" tranny, until it gives up (starts slipping, goes in restricted, and generally speaking, DIES!)

Step three: Have the trannys swapped in few hours, and the Cat will be as good as new.

My Cat is worth a LOT to ME. Way more than the cash I could get for her. Selling is not an option. Now that said,.....IF I have a line on the one I'm looking for, and a friend (or a person I know) offers instant cash that I could not refuse,....I might let her go. But I don't think that will happen. A coworker offered instant cash couple of weeks ago, and it was more than I was in the whole thing, but there was nothing enticing on the horizon at that time. I know I will never advertise her, but if the "offer I can't refuse" comes my way,........

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Instead of waiting for trouble, at which point I think it's too late, I installed the updated pressure control valve and have changed the filter three times, filling with fresh fluid.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions and knowledge. I have a quick update that was not really what I expected. I topped off the transmission fluid through the fill port on the side using a pump, it was pretty low, I put in about 1.5 quarts. The transmission shifted much better and always engaged forward and reverse gears right away, it was a drastic difference.

The improvement, however, did not last, after driving for about an hour I started noticing similar hard shifting and getting stuck in gear. Looking under the car I could see that something was leaking and it was very clearly transmission fluid, I had just seen it and smelled it when I put it in and could recognize it right away.

The problem is, I can very clearly see it leaking from the power steering line going to the power steering rack and I cannot find a leak coming anywhere from the transmission lines.

Any suggestions or diagrams that might be helpful?

Thanks very much for the support

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The gearbox cooler lines and the PAS lines run next to each other and touch/rub at some points. I would inspect the lines to be sure you know which line leaks.

I had a customer car that had a small hole rubbed into the trans cooler line from a PAS hose crimp connection and caused a gearbox fault. I patched the line and bent the PAS line out of the way to prevent farther damage.

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
danielsand (05-31-2013), plums (05-30-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The gearbox cooler lines and the PAS lines run next to each other and touch/rub at some points. I would inspect the lines to be sure you know which line leaks.

I had a customer car that had a small hole rubbed into the trans cooler line from a PAS hose crimp connection and caused a gearbox fault. I patched the line and bent the PAS line out of the way to prevent farther damage.

bob gauff

This is EXACTLY the information that we need here. Information that saves THOUSANDS of Dollars, and makes you sleep well at night. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Bob,

Thank you, that was indeed very helpful. I had seen your other post explaining how you found the leaky caused by chafing and how you repaired it. I didnt think that was what I had at first because I couldnt find the leak, but eventually I did. The area where the transmission lines and the power steering lines cross is hard to see and even harder to reach. It is just forward of the power steering pump, right about the suspension cross member.

I found a leak in this spot and was able to get a hose wrapped around it and tightened with a few hose clamps. I also used some silicone sealant which hopefully will help as well. The leak stopped and after refilling the transmission everything seems to be back to normal.

I still plan to replace the lines with new ones because I am not completely confident that this repair will last a long time, but it works for now.

A word of warning for anyone attempting this repair: cleaning this line and getting a hose over it is akin to performing minimally invasive surgery while lying on your back and in the dark. Prepare yourself by wiping away as much fluid as possible, finding some long thin screwdrivers, and getting some good flashlights....

-John

Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. The repair I did was over a year ago and the car is still running around with this repair.

Just keep your eye on the area for a failure of the repair. There is not much fluid pressure to and from the cooler.

When I was at the Dealer we replaced the lines as a proper repair but at my own shop I give the customers an option of repairs.

bob gauff

Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Keep driving with the repair but eventually THE DAY will come. If everything else is good on the car. A transmission rebuild isn't all that bad.$2,500. Be sure to get a rebuilt valve body with new solenoids. Consider a new wiring harness for inside the transmission. Do it right and it will last.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Filler location

My 99 XJ8 had a gearbox error code pop up. All sorts of other error codes came up with it. I could clear the other codes for a time, but when ever I lift off the go fast pedal, the codes return. I want to check the trans fill level but where in gods green acres is it! My pan looks nothing like the others on-line that I have seen.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

This may not sound logical, but your battery may be failing, or at least not charging properly. These cars can throw a lot of strange codes if the voltage gets too low. Have the battery load test at on e of your local auto supply stores.
The transmission is sealed for life (not joking). To check the level you remove the fill plug at the right rear with the engine running and the transmission at a specific temperature and observe fluid trickling out if it's at the correct level. A search of the forum under "transmission fill" or some variation, or in the "How to" sticky in this forum and the XK8 forum will provide lots of info.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gear Box Error Message

No, the battery is brand spanking new, and the alternator is charging properly. Yes I knew the transmission is sealed for life. I have seen several items on line re: the transmission fill location, but they all show a 8mm Hex plug with an aluminum finned pan. Mine has a steel pan and the fill plug is not in the location shown?

The following users liked this post:
deancantrell (07-24-2014)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have not seen a 5HP24 with aluminum pan. The fill plug is at the right rear, about 1" above the pan. The plug will take a lot of force. Allen key with 2' length of pipe, a little easier if the transmission is hot. But then you have to wait for it to cool down again to check the level. Do not remove the plug with the engine off, about 3 qts. fluid will come out.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

I just checked your aluminum pan reference. That is after market, OEM is steel.