XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Suddenly running rough - codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
ttl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The main intake runs from the air filter box (front corner, passenger side) to the throttle body (rear center of engine compartment). Much of the length is accordion pleated to make it flexible, but apparently as it ages it can crack on the folds all by itself. That's one. Don't know about the other, but could be the full or partial load breather tubes that run from the valve covers.

I don't see how those would relate to a tapping noise, but fixing them could correct lean conditions.

The following users liked this post:
stevevaus (03-23-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure doesn't sound like it should take three hours to install a new one of those.

Don't know what to make of the tapping I heard - he hasn't mentioned that at all - and they started it up to do a "smoke test" so maybe the tapping was just a random thing that has not recurred.

Biggest curiosity in my mind now is the time he says it's gonna take to do the job.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
ttl

Originally Posted by stevevaus
Biggest curiosity in my mind now is the time he says it's gonna take to do the job.
Most shops charge by the book time... they look it up in a table. 3 hours does seem a little high for just replacing hoses, but perhaps the diagnosis time that's factored in brings it up closer.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 PM

diagnoses time is separate

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

The cracking of one of the hoses on the bottom surface is well known around these parts.

One of the hoses may be the one that has to be snaked under the manifold. There is a shortcut that one of the techs around here has mentioned - if that is the hose. However, the shop charges book time for the repair.

Remember that you got into the plugs because it was running rough. That may have been the hoses finally getting bad enough to show up. It may have also been accidentally pushing something while in unfamiliar territory.

Let's say, hypothetically, that 2 hours is ok by you. Then the difference is 1 hour, and that's not too bad.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Steve:
I t sounds like you may have paniced just a little too soon. Not that I blame you with the metallic tapping noise. Is it possible tha the noise came up after a session of particularly spirited driving in that you were testing the cars performance after fixing the known bad plug? Maybe we have three completely isolated issues and have just fixed two of them. BTW, nothing wrong with running a Jaguar hard. Normally they do that fine. Thats why I drive them,

Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Maybe the best thing to do is to go over and take a look -- just to make sure you feel comfortable with what they are doing and you both can hear and understand the noise.

If they have to remove the manafold -- that would certanilly add to the time. Looks like the intakes start to be a problem at the 10 year mark.

I recently had a situation with my Mercedes Wagon. I took it in as it had a valve tap on first start for a few seconds. I know what a valve tap sounds like. Dealer called and said -- no problem ...normal ....it's the start valve or something?? I had to go in and have them show me - sure enough ....I was wrong But I feel much better!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by stevevaus
okay - this seems fishy. Shop just called back - said to replace both breather hoses it was gonna cost $400 all in (roughly 80 for the parts and three hours labor)

he said they need to remove the manifold to get one of the hoses in place properly.

Bottom line - does that sound right?
no you can snake that part load breather in under the intake, but if they isist on pulling up the intake you need to have to 2 heater hoses replaced at the same time. For the air intake tube between the mafgs and throttle body. I have wrapped with duct tape and then with black electrical tape...i know real shade tree, but its cheap and works well. also that part load breather is the one i said be carefull not to break to clean the orifice with a 3/32nds drill bit. they can do that while they have it off for free, it takes a few seconds

Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Thanks guys for all the info. If I have them go ahead with this (which I guess I will) and if I'm understanding the disassembly correctly I should have them replace the spark plugs on Bank 1 that I hadn't gotten to yet?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Yes, you might as well have all 8 plugs fresh.

However, take note of Brutal's suggestion that you also have the other hoses underneath the intake done if the intake gets lifted. Might as well not pay the labor twice.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Default The final details

First, thanks to all who weighed in on this - jeez it has been a wild ride.

Long and short of it - picked up the car late yesterday. They replaced the hose that indeed required removing the manifold and another short hose or two. I also had them replace the plugs on bank one that I hadn't gotten to yet. because of where the break was in the hose (deep under the manifold) he figures it was a fluke - probably had been starting to crack for a while and happened to break all the way when I closed the hood after replacing Bank 2 plugs. I was happy to know there was no way I could have broken it where it was broken!

She runs like a dream again - really smooth. Thinking maybe I won't sell it after all.

The total bill, including installing the plugs came to $531 - and they gave me a loaner car for free from Saturday - Tuesday, so all in all, painful but could have been MUCH worse.

Deep gratitude to all for info and moral support!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Hold on a minute!!!!!
So what was causing the noise?
Anyway, I 'm glad you got it sorted without too much pain.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM

I don't have a clue what the noise was. Unless it was just the engine clanging around because it was struggling to run faced with an ultra lean situation. (See, I told you I don't have a clue)

If my wife hadn't been standing there when I started it up and heard the "clatter" I'd think I was hearing things.

But it's running like a top now - smoother than it's been in a while.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 PM
ttl

Congrats. Glad your car is running well and that the damage to the pocketbook was somewhat limited!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Congratulations on a simple albeit a bit costly solution, Steve.

Who did you take it to - the new dealership in Carlsbad or an independant? If indy, who? They sound knowledgable and fair.

I haven't required a mech yet (knock on wood) but if I do someday, I'd like an option other than the dealer, or at least something closer than Carlsbad.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM

European Motors in Poway - reasonably reasonable and they do good work - and can't be free loaner car.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope they replaced that heater hose if they took the manifold off. Mine split around 90K miles and had to go through the adventure of taking the manifold off (wasn't that bad of a job really).

Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine in Restricted Performance (added Lucas fuel additive and full tank of gas)

Hello Everyone,
I has similar problems except I filled the car with car and added Lucas fuel additive for the injectors and immediately the dashboard indicated a problem.

Code are 1999 Vandan Plas: P0307, P1316, P0357, P1000

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for you kindness.
<<<Mathew>>>