X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced coil, now many problems

Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced coil, now many problems

2002 Jaguar X-Type with the 3.0 liter engine

I replaced number 5 coil. Bolted everything back together with new gaskets and spark plugs. Reconnected plugs. Engine did not want to start until I unplugged the 6 pin connector located on the air intake tube. After starting, I reconnected the plug and the engine continued to run. The instrument panel showed:

DSC Fault,
Gearbox Fault,
Engine Systems Fault, and
the engine would run only in "limp home mode."

Do the codes need to be removed before the engine will run correctly again? I have re-inspected all of my work, removing and reassembling everything. I really didn't want to limp down to the local BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar repair shop and have to hawk my first born in payment to have my probable simple mistake(s) taken care of. Where have I erred? It's things like this that remind me as to why I love my 1983 CJ-8 Scrambler. The only electronics is the "spark box" on the firewall and the radio!!

Thank you for your help,
Dave

Last edited by GGG; 09-05-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add Model & Year details
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Dave,

This is a perfect example of why we ask members to add vehicle details to their forum Signature!

Is this the 2002 X-Type shown in your forum profile? If so, I'll move your question from Off Topic to X-Type forum. Members there with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 09-05-2015, 10:14 AM

I apologize. Yes, this is our 2002 Jaguar X-Type with the 3.0 liter engine and five-speed automatic transmission.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I've moved your thread to X-Type forum and added the Model & Year details to your original post.

Graham

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM

Thank you,
Dave

Old 09-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default # 5 cyl

[QUOTE=GGG;1302418]Dave,

sounds like you might have damaged the Mass air flow sensor( broke a wire or bumped the sensor to hard or the connector isn't seated)When you unplugged it or the connection was lost the car is running on set standard programmed into the computer NOT signals from the Mass Air sensor. Plug it back in and see if it reacts the same, if it does try clearing the codes AFTER confirming all connections are good.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:48 PM

When removing the top of the air box along with the tube with the mass air flow sensor in it, I removed the screws and left the plug connected laying it to the side. I have since removed the plug and reinstalled it to no change. I did find, though, that the two-wire plug going to a black unit on the driver's side of the intake manifold had cracked from heat. the center part of the plug with the wires running through it are still intact. It seems that the prongs on the inside of the black receptacle do not actually go into the fittings on the end of the wires so they must just touch, it this correct? What is this apparatus?

Also, the engine will not start even with the plug on the passenger side of the intake disconnected (which it had done previously in limp-home mode). When trying to start, the engine kicks over briefly and then dies as if starved for air or fuel. Getting quite frustrated. Would you have any other suggestions? Thank you, Dave

My mistake . . . I realized that the engine failing to start was the result of my not having the air tubing along the the mass airflow sensor in place. It started, still in limp-home mode, but at least it started. This tells me that the MAS is operational.

Last edited by cissdm; 09-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by cissdm
I did find, though, that the two-wire plug going to a black unit on the driver's side of the intake manifold had cracked from heat. the center part of the plug with the wires running through it are still intact. It seems that the prongs on the inside of the black receptacle do not actually go into the fittings on the end of the wires so they must just touch, it this correct? What is this apparatus?
cissdm: Are you talking about the Throttle Body - circled in this picture? On our older X-Types, the electrical plug in the bottom of the throttle body can crack from engine heat & age. It's fine until you unplug it - then it breaks in your fingers . Some folks patch it back together with epoxy and/or nylon zip ties. Or if yours is cracked beyond repair, you might ask dr dome if he has an extra one to sell you. He's a member of this forum who parts out X-Types at reasonable prices. Send him a PM.

FYI, back in the day cars used a carburetor to control air and fuel. Now, the throttle body controls air flow, and fuel injectors manage fuel flow.

The following 2 users liked this post by dwclapp:
cissdm (09-16-2015), Tuface Gemini (04-30-2021)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The 2 wire plug below the throttle body is probably causing all of your headaches. When I did my coil and plug change out the plug with 2 wires fell apart when i unplugged it. I was able to get each of the wires plugged back in to there original position. I had enough of the plug body left to keep them separated.
Contact Jagbits and see if they have a pigtail or a used connector. Once that is repaired clear the codes and then go for a start up. if you still have a problem let us know what the codes are.

The following users liked this post:
cissdm (09-16-2015)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Limp mode

Check the inertia switch on the passenger side lower side panel first

I replaced number 5 coil. Bolted everything back together with new gaskets and spark plugs. Reconnected plugs. Engine did not want to start until I unplugged the 6 pin connector located on the air intake tube. After starting, I reconnected the plug and the engine continued to run. The instrument panel showed:

DSC Fault,
Gearbox Fault,
Engine Systems Fault, and
the engine would run only in "limp home mode."

Do the codes need to be removed before the engine will run correctly again? I have re-inspected all of my work, removing and reassembling everything. I really didn't want to limp down to the local BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar repair shop and have to hawk my first born in payment to have my probable simple mistake(s) taken care of. Where have I erred? It's things like this that remind me as to why I love my 1983 CJ-8 Scrambler. The only electronics is the "spark box" on the firewall and the radio!!

Thank you for your help,
Dave[/QUOTE]

Old 05-03-2016, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It'll run fine whether you clear the codes or not, except you need to fix whatever you left off / broke / whatever.

Maybe you caused an air leak or fitted a bad coil or ...

(If one of those it affects all cars since OBD II came in - 20+ years now.)