XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front ABS wheel sensor wire routing

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Front ABS wheel sensor wire routing

When I changed my front hubs, I was able to keep the original sensors - hubs were same make as OEM, so they Just Worked.

One of those has now perished.

AFAIK, the snap connector lives behind the plastic inner wheel arch liner.

Before pulling that liner, can anyone point me to a photo that shows where the OTHER end of the wire comes through into the engine compartment and makes its way to the ABS control unit?

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermite
When I changed my front hubs, I was able to keep the original sensors - hubs were same make as OEM, so they Just Worked.

One of those has now perished.

AFAIK, the snap connector lives behind the plastic inner wheel arch liner.

Before pulling that liner, can anyone point me to a photo that shows where the OTHER end of the wire comes through into the engine compartment and makes its way to the ABS control unit?

Thanks,
UPDATE: No longer a need, got it sorted.

FWIW, the 'oddities' that wanted addressed appear to be a byproduct of the under-warranty replacement of ....the entire engine.

Knee-bone connected to the collar-bone sort of thing as tight budget mass-produced wiring harnesses are, many things had to be moved.

Seems that not all had been put back properly.

Or so I choose to believe - rather than it having been designed and implemented at the factory by retread "Prince of Darkness" alumni...

'bout eight strategically placed tie-wraps, harness now has 'drip loop' routing instead of water being guided INTO the connectors.

... and of course, the former tease of an intermittent ABS sensor lead is now reporting as vanished.

Best part was discovering there was no need to elevate the vehicle, nor pull a wheel to do the job.

- Turn wheel fully OUTWARD, unfasten plastic shield, swap new wire onto connector, rough-route the lay of it, attach to hub. Mind the alignment 'key' - it is fragile. Refasten plastic shield.

- Turn wheel fully INWARD, follow old cable, swap new one into retention clips, one at a time. Check the last 'loop' for clearance and no twisting.

Oh... and remember to centre the wheels before backing out of the driveway and motoring off for road-testing.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-25-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

So this was a water entering the plug issue? I'm starting to think I need to check my handiwork of cable routing when I installed my hubs previously.