XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Import from USA to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import from USA to Canada

Seeking any advice to import from US into Canada looking at importing a 2012 to 2015 XJ supercharged, will the center speedo kph readout be sufficient to meet inspection in Canada and what about DRL, daytime running lights is a module readily available or is there a programming requirement. Are there any other requirements, is the no recall letter from manufacturer easily obtainable.
Thanks
Any info appreciated
hopefully I'm in the correct forum

Old 03-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Can't a Canadian Jaguar dealer handle everything for you? Put a dollar value on your time and it's probably worth the additional cost to pay the dealer and avoid the inevitable aggravation.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Can't a Canadian Jaguar dealer handle everything for you? Put a dollar value on your time and it's probably worth the additional cost to pay the dealer and avoid the inevitable aggravation.
Thanks Stuart but that really doesn't answer what I'm asking. A Canadian Jaguar dealer wants me to buy one of their vehicles, V8 supercharged engines are almost non existent in Canada.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I brought my 04 XJ-VDP with me when I moved from Canada to the US about 9 years ago. I didn't need to do anything to the car for compliance. Other than compliance stickers, speedo dial, and some computer options settings, the XJ is the same car for both the US and Canadian markets - which means you shouldn't have any issues servicing the car in the US either (unlike some other car manufacturers).

You need to check the US government websites carefully on the specifics of what can and can't be imported and the process, as any mistakes can be very costly. You will need a compliance letter from Jaguar NA stating the car meets all US safety and emissions standards in effect for the year of manufacture. You will need to declare that you are importing the car at the border, and pay any relevant duty and taxes. You will have to show the border paperwork to your local state registration office. In my case, it was an easy process.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Don't know if there are importation requirements or taxes for relocating the Jag to Canada, but the DRLs can be turned on by a dealer with their SDD computer hooked up to the car..

Old 03-23-2017, 04:05 PM
Default Import from USA to Canada Virtual speedometer

Thanks for the replies, I know about the import taxes etc, having imported a motor home 4 years ago.
So, my other question is regarding the speedometer, I know it is a requirement to have KPH readout on a imported vehicle to Canada.
As far as I know this cannot be changed from MPH on a 2012/2015 XJ unless having a new virtual speedometer installed. However, what I've been told is that the option exists where you can have a relatively small digital numerical speed readout in KPH through driver menu selection that appears in the center of the existing MPH speedometer. If this is correct, does anybody know if this meets compliance in Canada.
Thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default It Might Not Be As Simple As You May Think ...

As for your question about the small digital speedometer display meeting Canadian KPH compliance, any advice given by members of this Forum, while helpful, can't be relied on. To be certain, email the Canadian government offices listed below and get their response in writing. Worst case is that you would have to incur the expense of replacing the US-spec digital display with the display that meets Canadian KPH requirements.

From Transport Canada
If you are thinking about buying a vehicle in the U.S. and importing it into Canada, visit the Registrar of Imported Vehicles web site for information and the import e-form. See: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...-index-445.htm You should also see the Vehicle Import Compatibility list to check which vehicles are admissible for import from the U.S. Also, read the FAQS in the above website.

Questions?
The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV)
405 The West Mall, Suite 400
Toronto ON M9C 5K7
Telephone: 1-888-848-8240 (Canada and the U.S.) (English and French service)
Email: support@support.riv.ca

Transport Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety
Telephone: 1-800-333-0371 (toll-free), 1-613-998-8616 (Ottawa region)
Email: mvs-sa@tc.gc.ca

This is a complex process, and you may want to avoid problems and pay a qualified agent in Canada to handle everything for you. Here's one possibility; there are ohers: https://www.aacb.com/vehicle-importa...FYI9gQodhNYJyw

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Spoke with my tech today regarding MPH to KM switching of speedometer. He said that they have had several XJs that came fom Canada that wanted the speedo changed from kilometers to miles and that they are unable through the SDD to change that and he feels that it is tied to the codes that are embedded in the electronics for the country of delivery. Sorry

Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Hi Colin, I am in Calgary and I need to sell my 2015 XJL Portfolio with 20" wheels, illuminated sills, power rear side shades, $2,200 worth of 3M & windshield done in ClearPlex.
Polaris white with white interior, better than new condition, 6,300km.