XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Increasing noise in front suspension when hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jahummer
Jaguar service says it is all of the control arm bushings leaking and they are being replaced under warranty.
Please let us know what they actually changed from the receipt! They often end up doing something different than they say at first. And when it's under warranty they will "throw parts at it" till issues are resolved (in my experience). Thanks!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

At this point they have replaced both front lower control arms. The hydraulic fluid had leaked out. The warranty would only cover aftermarket parts according to Jaguar, but the warranty company insists they bought them from Jaguar. I hope to be getting the car back in a week or so. They are doing a lot of work.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
At this point they have replaced both front lower control arms. The hydraulic fluid had leaked out. The warranty would only cover aftermarket parts according to Jaguar, but the warranty company insists they bought them from Jaguar. I hope to be getting the car back in a week or so. They are doing a lot of work.
Thats good news. There are 4 arms that make up both sides. That must be a pretty penny worth of repair as each one is a couple hundred on its own... Thanks for keeping us updated...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 1993 makes the same bang and bumps that i can feel thru the floor...on mine its the front subframe link bushings.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 AM

My Indy looked at it and showed me a faulty shock bushing. He was able to push on the wheel on the lift and see play and hear a light version of what I hear over bumps. I think I would like to get both entire front lower rear arms from a low mileage yard car for $100 each and just replace them rather than get each bushing for $120 and have to worry about pressing them out and in. Either way the arms have to come off.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Drove the car today with the new control arms and man, what a difference. I had forgotten how well the car drove when it was new. Steering response vastly improved, suspension stiff and quiet.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Greetings all,

Since I started this thread, I need to post an update since I have just last week had work done on the car. I took it into Park Place Jaguar in Plano, TX where I have had service done for the last several years on my current car and the previous one. I actually went in for a "simple" oil change, but happened to mention to my service advisor there was still a noise and roughness problem that seemed to be primarily in the right front. Sure enough, one of the hydraulic bushings was leaking and needed to be replaced.

I have an extended warranty through Warranty Direct, so the service advisor contacted them about the problem and they paid (minus my deductible) to cover the repair. This was done within a day and a half (along with some other needed routine service items) which was a lot faster than I thought it would be. The down side to the fast work was that I got to drive the new 2012 XF they gave me as a loaner for just a day and a half. It is quite a nice car, but when I got back in my car, I was amazed as to how quiet and smooth it is now. Good luck to others who have the noise problem, because if it is properly diagnosed, it can be corrected.

Regards,

Tom

Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Well done Tom,

When I had a failed Lower Front Cont'l Arm Bushing (oil leak) the dealer refused to repair under my "Select Edition" warranty. Good on you.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was receiving noises as well whereby it sounded to me like it was coming from the left rear. Others informed me it sounded like a vibration (metal on metal or something) from the front. Well, my mechanic looked all under carriage parts over very well & found nothing wrong. So..., he then began inspecting for anything which might be loose from the aluminum buffering you find under neigh it to cables and such. He secured or buffered anything which came into touch with metal. Plus, he found a couple stones lodged above the aluminum plating or cover located just behind and above the rear wheels which he believes likely caused the noise by vibration. All I can say is the noise suddenly stopped & actually turned out to be a simple fix. This occurred on my 08 XJ with 25K miles. No issues ever on my wife's 04 XJ with 67K miles except for an alternator replacement & new rotors plus brakes. Maybe your noise could be a simple fix like mine was. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by Doberman_Fan
I was receiving noises as well whereby it sounded to me like it was coming from the left rear. Others informed me it sounded like a vibration (metal on metal or something) from the front. Well, my mechanic looked all under carriage parts over very well & found nothing wrong. So..., he then began inspecting for anything which might be loose from the aluminum buffering you find under neigh it to cables and such. He secured or buffered anything which came into touch with metal. Plus, he found a couple stones lodged above the aluminum plating or cover located just behind and above the rear wheels which he believes likely caused the noise by vibration. All I can say is the noise suddenly stopped & actually turned out to be a simple fix. This occurred on my 08 XJ with 25K miles. No issues ever on my wife's 04 XJ with 67K miles except for an alternator replacement & new rotors plus brakes. Maybe your noise could be a simple fix like mine was. Good luck.
Note the post is 3 years ago