Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Shim fix for Door Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Window Shim fix for Door Rattle

I've had a metal to metal rattling sound that sounded like it was coming from behind and over my left shoulder. It happened when going over bumps and rough roads. It did not sound like a heavy metal clank, like big suspension piece....more like a rattle or clanking. For a while I though it was either under the car, like an exhaust hanger; or in the rear quarter dog-leg housing like a loose bracket. I even went into the trunk, behind the rear panel to see if it was something loose over the gas tank, or behind the rear seat armrest.

However, I noticed that it seemed to get a little better when the window was fully lowered so I pulled the door panel and found this:

White Nylon Guide Strip
At the rear of the window, there is a 3x3" metal housing that fastens the glass at the bottom of the window this housing rides on a channel guiding the window up and down. Between the housing and the channel there is a white nylon glide strip that rides between the two parts. It is wraps around the channel and is fastened to the metal housing with two prongs locating itself to the housing. This nylon guide strip had worn through, allowing metal to metal contact when shaken.

Thin Plastic Shim
The fix was to insert a strip of very thin plastic where the nylon had worn through. I used a deli container lid, but anything would work. The trick is to keep it from coming out as the window moves up and down. On top, the edge of the deli lid acted as a stop, and after inserting the strip, I crimped the bottom end to keep it from being pulled up and out. Note in the last pic, I have not inserted the shim all the way down. Once seated, it provides enough clearance for free movement of the housing on its track, but it is also tight enough to prevent rattle.

Take the time to lubricate the runners and oil the regulator freely.

This is an addendum to another thread started in 2008 found here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-panel-35764/ They got close to finding the source, but most though the problem was a loose bolt. The real problem, at least for me, was the wearing of the white nylon guide strip allowing the metal to metal contact when vibrated or shaken.

Fix done.

Attached Thumbnails Window Shim fix for Door Rattle-window-shim-2-.jpg   Window Shim fix for Door Rattle-window-shim-3-.jpg   Window Shim fix for Door Rattle-window-shim-5-.jpg  

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 09-04-2015 at 06:37 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
ccfulton (09-05-2015), Jag#4 (09-07-2015), jamdmyers (09-05-2015), Madbrad (09-05-2015), MRomanik (10-15-2015), oyster (10-15-2015), piju1945 (10-26-2015), RaceDiagnostics (09-05-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. This is exactly my problem. How did you crimp the bottom to keep it from coming out? Also, what kind of grease did you use on the runners and regulor?

Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by captjsh
Great post. This is exactly my problem. How did you crimp the bottom to keep it from coming out? Also, what kind of grease did you use on the runners and regulor?
I just folded the bottom end over back on itself and squeezed the edge tightly with pliers forming a 'barb' of sorts. The top end was already formed by the lip of the container cap. I was thinking if the shim was pulled out I could probably insert another shim strip without removing door panel by using needle nose pliers. White lithium grease was used to coat the runners and sliding parts. Its been a few weeks and lots of up / down cycles with the window and everything is still in place... and no rattles. ;-)

Old 01-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I had a similar noise occurring on bumps and worst with the driver's window all the down. I applied GordoCatCar's remedy and achieve significant reduction in the noise. I used both sides of the plastic cap seal edges and worked it under the window clip with lithium grease. See the attached image for my adaption of the fix. Thx Bill

Old 01-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Great idea using the full plastic lid to shim out the entire length of the white nylon guide strip. I had inserted shims from the bottom, but they kept dropping out. This solves that issue. Kudos on making a rounder circle !