XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle inside drivers door panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rattle inside drivers door panel

I have an annoying metallic rattle inside the drivers door panel on my '01 XKR. It is metal on metal, very tinny sounding and occurs whenever I drive over a bump in the road. The rattle is consistant with either the window up or down. The sound seems to be coming from the rear of the door panel and is increasing in sound level.

Before I remove the door panel, has anyone experienced this same problem? Are the window guides metal or plastic? What could be causing this noise?

I did a search on this but found nothing. My Jaguar Maintenance CD did not show any pictures of the mechanics with the door panel removed. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar problem.
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've got it too but that's not much help to you yet as I haven't pursued it until I find the darnd rattle in my left rear suspension area. Mine's a 2002. Since the right door has no such noise, and since we've both got it, perhaps there is something unique to the left door that's causing it? Extra wiring, a retainer that's come off since that door is used most?

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I'm much help, but my 2001 also has it in the same place and I hear it all the time. The local dealership is having a Spring Service Clinic this week, for which I have signed up (5:30 appt tomorrow), and where they will go over the car and let me know what needs servicing. I have the rattle on the list (long list) of things to ask about (in the event they don't notice it themselves).

I asked if they would let me go back and hang out with the service tech while they are doing my car so he can show me things and I can get a little more educated on my car and they said that might be possible.

So I will report back the verdict on the rattle.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, Rjag and Xsvjag, I am beginning to wonder if this is isolated to MY 2001 and coupes only. I will look forward to hearing back from both on your findings. What is strange is that the rattle does not appear to impair the operation of the window, no problems with its operation. Are there any TSB's on this?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

inside door rattle here too...convertible. doors are the same. I've had the panel removed, and access to guides and regulators and such is very difficult...lots of sheetmetal there behind the upholstery.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 PM

My 2001 XKR Coupe had a rattle in the driver's door as well...good luck.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 XKR Coupe - same problem, drivers door only. I have a bad habit of ruining door panels and such upon removal. I'm definitly interested in the fix but I'm too clumsy to be the first to tackle it. Sorry I can't help.

Ken

Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 AM

I went to the dealer service clinic last night......what a great little event! I was allowed to go back to the bay and the mechanic showed me everything and answered my questions. Not to mention the fact that all things loose were tightened up, fluids topped up, the car hand-washed, a gift bag with some nice logo merchandise AND even being fed. And she got an A on her report card! Very, very worthwhile and if any dealerships in your area offer this, you should definitely take advantage. Oh and I saw BRUTAL although he was with a customer, so I did not get a chance to speak with him.

As far as the rattle, there is nothing endemic to our cars. The most likely culprit is the wires that are inside (and there are apparently quite a few) have lost their rubber pads (which are glued on in strategic places) due to the glue deteriorating through heat and time. This was a service clinic, not a diagnostic clinic so I could not reasonably expect him to take the door apart. But the explanation makes sense and a wire tapping the door is consistent with the type of sound I am hearing.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks XSVJAG. That sounds very likely.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks XSVJAG for the update. My rattle is definitely metal on metal, not a wire tapping on the door sound. I shook the door yesterday and could hear the rattle very loud coming from inside the door. My concern now is that if I take the door panel off I am still unable to find the cause the ratttle because it is further inside the door. After the panel is removed can the door be further disassemblied to view the mechanical parts inside?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

On my 2001 there is a very complex metal shield on the drivers door right behind the door handle, that I believe protects the glass from the lock rod. This is fastened with one small bolt. If the bolt comes loose you would have your metal to metal noise. This shield is only on the drivers door.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle inside drivers door panel-p1010239.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
mapatton (07-28-2011)
Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I need to add that if you take the door panel off to reach this area you must have the window up. The JTIS will show you the process, but will not mention this shield.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Now that is information! Thank you.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks as this just started with mine. A little more than a quarter turn of a wrench last night fixed it.
The part is a brass colored plate, if someone is looking for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Metallic Rattle inside Door

I have a 2001 XKR Convertible, UK right hand drive. The source and solution to my metallic door rattle was exactly as described by RCSign in this post. The bolt is at the top of the latching mechanism shroud. You cannot get a socket on it but a spanner (wrench) will fit. Mine took a 7mm and a quarter turn snugged it up...no more rattle.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default anti rattle piece

Hi all:

I two have the rattle ( on both doors ) If I close them gently you do not notice it. When I upgraded my speakers I tooks the panels off ( tks to Rev Sam for the excellent video ) And low and behold there were some rails with rubber at the bottom of both doors. Looks like the fell off and down inside the door. Upon checking with JTIS I believe these are installed as an anti rattle device for the glass. I have the pieces and have not gotten further into the investigation. So these fell off !!!! and are no longer doing what they are supposed to. I removed them and put the door panel back on and it was not these pieces that were causing the rattle as the doors still do it. Its a job for this summer and if anyone out there has put these back on please let me ( us ) know

Howard

Old 01-15-2012, 03:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Been there, have a look at prev posts on "window glass rattle" In the bottom of the door you might find two rubber door rattle strips I have some photos of where these fit.

Good luck Al

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

After removing the drivers door panel (Thanks Rev. Sam for the video) I found pieces of the the upper left (by the door lock) "fir tree fastener" mount all over the inside of the panel. A previous owner must have tried to see how hard he could slam the door. After jerry-rigging a new mount I still had a "metal rattle" in the door. A second inspection found another piece of plastic I missed the first time. Jack