XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

OK to drive short distances on blown springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK to drive short distances on blown springs?

My

2006 Xj8 has 2 rear blown air shocks, I no longer hear the compressor but the back is low and front normal. The back doesn't scrape and I don't get vehicle too low light. Just air suspension fault. Going to do coil over conversion next week. Is it bad to drive short distances till I can get the coils in? Thanks All

Last edited by Mugatu; 09-06-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Really quite dangerous actually. You have no rear end control and she's riding on hard rubber and frame.

Think of it this way, Jaguar ecats replaces conventional shock AND spring in most other types of cars. You have nothing to absorb the impact of a bump (shock) and nothing to prevent your car from being seriously damaged if you hit a bump or a dip as it has bottomed out (spring).

We don't need to get into the loss of road handling, loss of traction, damage to wheels and tires etc...

Be safe, park it immediately.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
Really quite dangerous actually. You have no rear end control and she's riding on hard rubber and frame.

Think of it this way, Jaguar ecats replaces conventional shock AND spring in most other types of cars. You have nothing to absorb the impact of a bump (shock) and nothing to prevent your car from being seriously damaged if you hit a bump or a dip as it has bottomed out (spring).

We don't need to get into the loss of road handling, loss of traction, damage to wheels and tires etc...

Be safe, park it immediately.
Thank you, I have seen pictures where other xj8's are lower is there a possibility that it still is raising a little or does it look like its low as it goes??

Old 09-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Yeah sorry Magatu. I was really only replying to your question in the title. My bad. I realize now I was of little help.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have "blown" springs.

Your compressor is most likely working or you wouldn't have normal height on the front end. You appear to be moving forward with a conversion so diagnosing your current problem isn't of value. You just want to know if your car is currently too low to drive safely?

I haven't experienced your problem personally and can't tell from the pic if both sides are too low or just the right rear. Your comment indicates both but she looks to be lower on the right. Others would probably be better contributors.

You should measure the height of your vehicle in the right and left rear from the center of the wheel well to the ground and provide that info.

I personally wouldn't drive it as I think you can cause serious damage, but again, that's me... sorry

Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
Yeah sorry Magatu. I was really only replying to your question in the title. My bad. I realize now I was of little help.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have "blown" springs.

Your compressor is most likely working or you wouldn't have normal height on the front end. You appear to be moving forward with a conversion so diagnosing your current problem isn't of value. You just want to know if your car is currently too low to drive safely?

I haven't experienced your problem personally and can't tell from the pic if both sides are too low or just the right rear. Your comment indicates both but she looks to be lower on the right. Others would probably be better contributors.

You should measure the height of your vehicle in the right and left rear from the center of the wheel well to the ground and provide that info.

I personally wouldn't drive it as I think you can cause serious damage, but again, that's me... sorry
Thanks so much Sean,

My street is not flst so it may appear that the right is lower but I will measure tonight. I was going to do the conversion for piece of mind and its cheaper than 2 airs shocks and a new compressor. Thanks for your help

Old 09-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I know this sounds bad but I just replaced the front driver shock 1 week ago. It was blown and I've been driving it like that for 4 months. Upon replacement I didn't notice extra wear on bushes. Call me lucky. I did however chew through the insides of my tires.
FYI I work 6 miles away from home so I didn't drive long distances too much.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

It won't hurt the car to drive it home within a couple hundred miles. There are rubber bump stops in the air shocks, and the bad shock takes all the vertical load. It's already broke.

It will handle like crap, though. So use good judgement and don't push the speeds or cornering. It will tend to "skip" on a bumpy corner.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I've done a hundred or so miles on the bump stops. PITA but needed at the time during the really cold weather when it drops below 30f here. it sounds bad when you hit pot holes and ruts but survivable.
Would only really recommend it in an emergency or as a last resort over small distances.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by trosty
I've done a hundred or so miles on the bump stops. PITA but needed at the time during the really cold weather when it drops below 30f here. it sounds bad when you hit pot holes and ruts but survivable.
Would only really recommend it in an emergency or as a last resort over small distances.
Awesome thanks, been driving to work and small errands, no noise when hitting bumps it just feels like my x type sport with 225/40/18's and blown shocks haha

Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
I know this sounds bad but I just replaced the front driver shock 1 week ago. It was blown and I've been driving it like that for 4 months. Upon replacement I didn't notice extra wear on bushes. Call me lucky. I did however chew through the insides of my tires.
FYI I work 6 miles away from home so I didn't drive long distances too much.
Since the front is still rising I could conceivably just replace the back shocks then? Did your shock replacement just rise the one side and the compressor was fine? Thanks

Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by cjd
It will tend to "skip" on a bumpy corner.
My car does this now. The shocks are fine. Do not know if the "sport" shocks are stiff, the crappy Carrera tires are too hard, or it is another issue.
Did not do it before replacing the bushings, tie rod ends, and sway bar links.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugatu
Since the front is still rising I could conceivably just replace the back shocks then? Did your shock replacement just rise the one side and the compressor was fine? Thanks
You can replace them as they blow. I have replaced 3 of mine this way and will replace the 4th when it blows. I have no issues from compressor. The car will shut off the compressor to save it if it notices that it is being overworked.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
My car does this now. The shocks are fine. Do not know if the "sport" shocks are stiff, the crappy Carrera tires are too hard, or it is another issue.
Did not do it before replacing the bushings, tie rod ends, and sway bar links.
Mine did that before the front stopped holding air. I think it was setting to overly stiff to counteract the other issues with the suspension.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

How are you sure the rear air springs are "blown" ? Can you hear air escaping in a rush ? If one blows the ASM tries to keep the car level, so will level the back of the car. IMHO too many owners rush out to buy coil conversions without trying to fix the problem which in many cases is fairly simple. It is also possible to buy two Arnott rear air springs and thus keep the air system.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-06-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
How are you sure the rear air springs are "blown" ? Can you hear air escaping in a rush ? If one blows the ASM tries to keep the car level, so will level the back of the car. IMHO too many owners rush out to buy coil conversions without trying to fix the problem which in many cases is fairly simple. It is also possible to buy two Arnott rear air springs and thus keep the air system.
True, as a believer and user of a coil conversation, I don't think it should be the first attempt if there is a simple fix. I only did it because I had a very narrow window for success and I had no room for guesswork. If replacing one or two shocks will fix the issue, that may be more desirable. That said I'll never have another air suspension related cost.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

the answer is yes and no. yes depending on your idea of short drives and road conditions. and no because it does HAMMER the rest of the suspension on affected corners, not just bump stops. It can split bushings in the control arms and hammers the joints equalling much more wear and tear than you actually drove. Ive seen in the past when people let it go till they can fix and when they come back theres alot more torn up. So take it for what its worth

Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
You can replace them as they blow. I have replaced 3 of mine this way and will replace the 4th when it blows. I have no issues from compressor. The car will shut off the compressor to save it if it notices that it is being overworked.
This is not exactly true, while the compressor only runs for usually no more than 90 seconds and has a thermal overlaod. It will try to raise the car on starts on other ASM determines times which vastly accelerates wearing out the compressor seal. I now rebuild them at home in the shop and always replace when doing a new air spring if not recently done. the C2302 reservoir plausabilty error is yes for a leak in a air spring, But ALSO for a weak compressor that cannot fill the reservoir to the correct psi in the alloted time and the ASU can fill a reservoir independant from a spring

Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile OK to drive short distances on blown springs?

Do the conversion brother. Just did mine on my 2004 xj8 a week ago and love it. No more car leaning or dropped on cold days. Wife feels more secure when she's in it. Now I have two good back OEM air shocks sitting in boxes if someone wants to keep their ride original. I had no issues with my back air shocks just the two fronts would drop when it got cold. I hear the air shocks only last a certain amount of time anyway and it really depends on the temperture in whatever part of the (USA)country you live in on how they will perform and last. I did not want to keep dealing with that.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

I doubt that both rears went at the same time. I'd have some one start the car while you listen at each wheel (of course one at a time) and listen to hear air escaping. You may find the one bad. I know from experience that if one is bad, you'll have problems with the whole system.
You can do the coil over, but to me, you will be cutting your price if you ever intend to sell the car. I wouldn't buy one that has had that done to it.

Cheers

Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The conversion is so simple if someone wanted to sell their car then they could just swap it back to the OEM stuff. However , after doing the conversion i dont know why anyone would want to risk getting stuck as those air shocks are notorious for failing especially in cold weather. I bought my XJ8 from a one owner and I wish they would have had it done instead of me paying for it. You really cannot tell much difference really and there is not much to the conversion other than turing a few bolts that changes the car from its original configuration. It really is that simple and you will not get stuck.

Quick Reply: OK to drive short distances on blown springs?