XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Doorlock and window stoppage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Unhappy Doorlock and window stoppage.

Calamity. Bought a replacement door mirror (left) and managed to get it fitted yesterday. Having done this job before, I should have known there was no need to remove the inner panel, but totally forgot, and off it came. Carried out the replacement, and after some trouble getting it to line up managed to refit door panel. Today, out of the blue, Both the left front door lock, and the left window have stopped working. I can't unlock the left door, nor lower the window. I don't have any idea what could have happened. Does anybody have any advice, or has had similar problem? I cant lift the window switch manually as it has slid so low into the panel, I just can't reach it to lift it up.
If I push the switches for the other windows I hear the relay click in each, but the problem one makes no click at all, though it did previously. All the other doors lock and unlock without problems, as do all the other windows work. Any tips? I.e. Are there any fuses that could have blown?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Initially I would say pull up the armrest trim with the controls and make sure they are seated. Then if good, either pull the card off again and unplug and plug back the Door Module or others have stated by simply removing the positive terminal on the battery, bleed it off, and reattach it, should take care of it.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Ty so very much Highhorse, very informative. Will try the battery bleed off tomorrow morning. Forgot to mention that replacement mirror glass motor also isn't working now. Hopefully all these problems, all listed in your diagram, will start working after bleed off.
Much obliged to you. I will inform if all goes well.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Battery bleed off worked well. Mirror glass ok, window up/down ok. However, when operating door lock, can now hear solenoid attempting to work, and very slight movement on inner doorlock pin. But it doesn't actually operate, in that it stays down, and door still won't unlock. With door locked, can't get door card out so as to look for problem in door. Suspect I may have accidentally disconnected linkage when trying to reseat door card earlier.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

That is possible, ....can you unlock it with the key? If not, this is what I had happened after replacing the weather seals on the handles. When I reinstalled the screw on the cylinder, I forgot to put locktite on it and it backed out. Just saying that's one other place to look while your in there.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:32 AM

Thanks for your continued help Highhorse. Unfortunately, being British, the left door is the passenger door, so doesn't have a key lock. Already broken the little silver plastic surround trying to get the pin up, can see me having to butcher the door card and replace it from Ebay. Have already replaced the driver door card after it was trashed in a motor accident, so that's a possibility. Trying to do it without that drastic action, but may be needs must !! "She who must be obeyed" is getting a bit p****d at having to sit in the back. Have told her to imagine she's important enough to be chauffeured !! lmao.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry about the assumption of the driver side of the vehicle. I didn't pay attention to your location, quite unique I must say.
So, back to the issue...how does the inside handle feel when you pull it...does it move quite freely, like the lanyard came off? Thus have you remove the wood trim and handle cup to see if the connection at the handle has come off? If so, you can pull it from there, if it will release.
For the lock knob, how far down has it broken...are there threads available? I ask this because you can possibly expose more thread and put on what we call a Sex Bolt (matching the thread pattern and available at most hardware stores) and use it as a lock knob to unlock it. I use these a lot with commercial door hardware. In case you don't know what I'm speaking of:

Then the last suggestion is, have you checked with a locksmith? No you can't pop a Jag from the outside, but I believe you can from the inside. Here are some pics I just took of the inside of my door, hopefully it may help you or your locksmith. I had to check a speaker connection anyways and it only took a couple minutes.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 AM

Ty so much for the Pics of the inside of the door. Seeing the linkages etc in place is such a big help. I am so grateful for your assistance in this problem.
Running messages for my brother today, but will get into it at first opportunity. Will of course let you know how I get on.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 PM

Success. Managed to lift the lock riser using a pair of very thin nosed pliers. Following lifting it, I let go and it immediately re inserted it self down in the door. After several attempts I was able to operate the door handle and the lo and behold, the door opened and silver *** stayed up. Yippee. Then closed door and locked and unlocked it with remote several times. All back to normal. Magic!!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Great to hear...