XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How do I replace a tie rod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default How do I replace a tie rod?

Howdy y'all. I don't normally hang out in the fuddy-duddy forum but a fuddy-duddy friend has a problem with his 2001 XJ. (By the way I'm just kidding about the fuddy-duddy thing )

His wife hit something which broke the left front tie rod end. I went and looked at it in the church parking lot where it is currently parked. It looks easy enough to replace and I get the opportunity to make an ON LOCATION video! I pulled off the boot at the inner tie rod end, and I wasn't quite sure how to get the inner bit off. The inner edge of the inner end is hexagonal, but it doesn't look like a lock nut. It looks like it's a part of the ball joint. Does the entire ball joint on the inner end just twist off? Is there a trick to removing it or is it as easy as it looks?

Any tips would be helpful. We're planning on doing it this evening assuming he can get the parts today.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

So it's going to be a night time shot then?

From past descriptions ... the hex is part of the inner tie rod and you unscrew the whole thing.

Channel locks, pipe wrench, or special tool from autozone, etc.

Since it is the left side, crank the wheel all the way to the right to get the hex to poke out.

If your friend finds the part please reference by part number and application as they are supposedly not sold separately.

If it is the outer tie rod, it should separate at the threaded adjustment coupling. You will need to pop the pop the joint stud at the wheel end.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Oops... I should have been a little more specific. The actual tie rod is what's broke. The outer end is broken, too. I called the local Jag dealer and they told me that the tie rod is a part of the rack and cannot be replaced separately. I was like " you've got to be %$!%$^& $#$^$@ me!!!!"

Then I went online and found the exact part my friend needs at Jabgbits.com. This is the part:

Jaguar INNER TIE ROD ASSEMBLY - TIERODV8-XKXJ-OE

It's an OEM part but the parts guy at the Jag dealership says it isn't available without buying the whole flippin rack. My friend is just going to buy it from Jagbits.com.

Looking at the picture, it look like the rack has internal threads and this thing just screws into the rack. It doesn't look too difficult. Hopefully I have a big enough pipe wrench to break it free.

Updates will be coming soon... :-)

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
plums (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

While waiting for the part you might be able to find the write up. Some used the pipe wrench, some used a generic tie rod end tool, bought or loaner. Don't recall which model section though ... alzheimer's

Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

I hope I didn't offend anyone by calling this the fuddy-duddy forum. I was trying to be funny.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

not me ... didn't my smiley make it through?

here ya go just in case ...

and a thumbs up for good measure

Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 - INNER tie rod replacements

So, did you "FD" friend get his tie rod replaced?
I have a bad inner tie rod end, and Pep Boys (after checking alignment for me after I replaced both steering knuckles and outer tie rod ends) told me the same thing...have to buy both the rack and tie rod, saying I couldn't replace just the tie rod.
Although mine is S-Type and on the passenger side, suspect the solution will be the same.
So, interested to see if just the tie rod was all that was needed (and does that part include the inner tie rod end (not sure what the inside of the tie rods look like)?
If anyone else knows, would love to hear an answer as I need to order soon.Thanks!