XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Oil Anti-Drain Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Anti-Drain Valve?

OK, found out I cannot upload a small mp3 clip. I'm going to mail it to some of you...

I will look at the solenoid valve once I get the car back and take the cam cover off.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 AM

I just wanted to add that I have a 2000 XJ8. I dont know if the engines are exactly the same as yours or not. My car had a clickity clickity noise at startup that lasted about 2 seconds and extinguished with the oil light. It also seemed to worsen as it got colder. I took the valve cover off and noticed that the tensioners were getting worn. I had the engines chains and tensioners replaced at a reputable shop in Saint Louis. I get it home and the next day, the same clickity noise. I, of course, thought maybe by chance I got ripped off, so I went through the trouble of taking the cover off again. There was new hardware, what I could see. I think it is just a normal characteristic of the engine. My Uncle, who got my started on wanting a Jaguar, has one that has done it since 40,000 miles and it now has 201,000. So I wouldnt worry about it. I quit listening to the sounds since I know the real trouble making chains and tensioners are replaced. Now I say a prayer every time I get in it that the expensive transmission doesnt go out. So far, no probs with anything.

Blaze

Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 AM

Well Blaze I think the noise may not be 'hurting' anything but it is not normal. All other LR3's I hear start are quiet. The V8 in your Jag is 'essentially' the same motor as in our Rover. This noise is embarrassing. Also, when the engine is warm, it makes a fairly slight tick-tick idle noise you only hear outside the car. Not sure if this is normal or connected to the startup clatter. I am assuming your XJ has a ZF transmission, which is a very good quality unit. All of our Rovers have had ZF units, and we have had Volvos with this trans, never a problem. You shouldn't have any problems either. Good luck with your XJ, a very nice car.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM

I would guess that maybe you have a primary chain and tensioner problem. Mine doesnt make any noise at idle. Just that clickety noise directly on startup. email me the noise clip you made and I will see if its like mine. bmagyar@fidnet.com

Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Sent it. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigdadbear
Tensioners / Chains have different symptoms from VVT unit/ solenoid valve function.
1.Tensioners / Chains Most probable cause
Ticking noise that is heard on intial COLD start up caused by the chain slaping on the Upper tensioners. If this noise last a 5 to ten seconds Do Not Worry about it. If the Noise last a couple of minutes it is STILL the Chain slaping on the upper tensioners __ This will eventually Result in a FAILURE of the WEAR PAD on the UPPER tensioners. THE Ticking Noise will Last longer and Longer.

If the Ticking Noise seems to be coming from the timing chain cover area and is more constant after the engine is warmed up -The timing chain guides are cracked.

THE Above conditions will not give you a check engine light or code....... until the TENSIONER FAILS and Results in an ENGINE FAULT.

2. VVT/solenoid Valve. -This affects engine performance and milage
About 2 minutes after the Vehicle is started. The EMS/computer will activiate the VVT Solenoid.Valves on both banks...
OPEN the Bonnet/Hood START the engine - WITHIN 2 Minutes -STAND NEAR the front of the engine and listen carefully you should hear a very AUDIBLE CLICK or CLACK THAT CLACK is the opening of the Solenoid supplying oil pressure to the VVT UNITs.

THE VVT UNITs control the cams for improved engine performance

If the VVT unit is not properly functioning or the Solenoid does not operate within 2 minutes you should get a Check engine Light and Fault Code.. Sometimes the code will not show til you have driven wiith a little hard throttle.

GOOD LUCK

near the ....
Ok so I have a movie clip of the sound. Please tell me my problem is an easy fix.

2005 Land Rover LR3 cold start - YouTube

Old 11-18-2019, 05:24 AM

Dear collegues,

Sorry for rising up this old topic, but yesterday I have changed the oil pan of my engine, and noticed, that I have no the NCA1757AB, the oil diverter valve, installed, like on the picture atteched. Just empty pipe. How it can be possible???? The engine is 3.2 L V8.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by darknia
...I have no the NCA1757AB, the oil diverter valve, installed, like on the picture atteched. Just empty pipe. How it can be possible???? The engine is 3.2 L V8.
The Oil Diverter Valve is installed only on the engines which have an engine Oil Cooler. If your engine doesn't have the oil cooler, the Oil Diverter wil not be present.

The following users liked this post:
darknia (11-18-2019)