XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Suspension Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJR Suspension Rebuild

Okay, next question. The old girl (2001 XJR, 125,000 miles) needs a suspension rebuild according to my shop. The tires are wearing badly on the insides, and according to my shop, there is no adjustment left in the suspension. I know, I'd normally be leary of this advice, but, the shop owner is also a friend, and fellow car club member, and has one of coolest alignment machines I've ever seen.

So, I have rebuilt the suspension in the past on my '87 XJ6... basically take off parts, replace parts. (Busted, bloody knuckles, brute strength and awkwardness).

What I'd like to ask, is, does anyone know of a vendor where I can source all the parts in a "kit", so to speak??? When I did the timing chains/tensioners, etc... Christopher's sold the whole kit. After cross referencing all the parts in the "kit", I could't buy it for less by going to the least expensive parts, from several vendors.

So, looking for suggestions here as to sourcing the parts, so I don't have to piecemeal this project together.

Also, any suggestions as to pitfalls along the way. Also, how important is it to replace springs and shocks at this point??? I'm told the ride height is low according to specs...

Thanks...

Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Are you speaking of the front and rear? Its been quite awhile since I did mine, but I sourced mine individually. Because I would find 2 or 3 good part deals from one vender, then a ridiculous price. I myself have not seen any 'kits', but I would speak with Coventry West, they may work something with you? I've done business with them and they are good folks.
Your probably low on height from worn bushings (it could be any combination of), thus causing the sag. Shocks would definitely be a serious consideration, the rears have cap bushings and such and its the perfect time to replace them while in the air. The fronts are quite a bit easier, but you have to consider the shock tower bushings there.
There are very many threads on suspension rebuilds, a search will bring up a number of threads for review.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highhorse:
Don B (01-14-2017), Rod Miller (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Vendors on this forum offer complete front suspension kits (ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends). add new shocks and upper mount bushings. Many detailed posts here on the entire job

The following users liked this post:
Rod Miller (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

After hearing some stories here, I would stay away from kits unless
I could verify the brand and quality of every single part.

I am thinking of one company in particular who is very good at
writing their ad copy in such a way as to strongly imply that the
goods are OEM when they are not. They don't quite lie, but you
have to read very carefully. The clue is the low price.

Rod Miller (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The use of "OEM" means nothing in today's industry with respect to the "original jaguar" part. I don't even pay attention to that phrase anymore. Stay swsy from URO suspension stuff, absolute crapola.

Rod Miller (01-15-2017)