XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What makes the XJS so special to you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I bought my 88.5 coupe because I woke up one day, realized I could just about afford one and I'd thought they were one of the most beautiful cars ever made when I saw the white one Ian Ogilvy drove as Simon Templar in Return of The Saint when I was a teenager.

I still love looking at it and I get a kick out of seeing it on the street or in a lot and knowing that's my car.

I love the ride (most comfortable car ever), the sound of the doors opening and closing, the smell of the Connolly leather, the odd drum gauges, the wood... And I love the way it handles. It takes off like an airplane, sticks to the road and handles like no other car I've driven. Not nimble or even forgiving but tight and exceptional in its own way. I almost always feel better after driving it and a little sad when the day is over and it's time to stop.

Also, it reminds me of what cars used to be. They felt, smelled, sounded and looked different. They didn't drive themselves.

It's insane but I feel like my car has a personality.

I'd love it if the XJ-S got a bit more respect- it's irritating that other car enthusiasts treat it like the punch line of a joke- but I don't particularly need or want to see the prices skyrocket like with the E-Type. I mean, it would be nice to be proven right but part of what I love is their value for money.

My XJ-S experience hasn't been smooth but as SARC said, I'll get to a point replacing the everything where I'll know it all. I already have more knowledge about my particular car than any other car I've had.

Of course, today I wanted to take her out for my birthday and, for the first time ever, she wouldn't start. Ah, the Jag life, eh?

Attached Thumbnails What makes the XJS so special to you?-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
dickc (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Nice looking XJS, Rhett :-)

Cheers
DD

Rhett (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ma Kitteh!

I've stated my attraction and love affair with my '89 XJS Convertible here before, but to summarize, saw it on local on-line advert, jaw dropped, and realized it was a local car, only 25 kms from me. I went to see it, an older gent was selling his B&B, moving into a condo type with no extra garage.
Bottom line, I took it for a 10 km ride, worked superb, offered him $2000 less than his listed price and drove it home the next day. The lines when looking at it's profile is mesmerizing, the long hood is beautiful, and the reaction when people see it, like a magnet attracts them to the car, and many times I've came out from a stop to find 4 to 6 people circling it, waiting to ask me questions. If I open the hood, they simply go nuts. I've joined two local car clubs, and at the show-and-shines never fails to get great comments. I've done some routine and preventive maintenance on my baby, and though I've been asked if it were for sale a half dozen times, really doubt I'll be selling it soon. Too much fun.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Nice looking XJS, Rhett :-)

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug. I think she's a looker too. It's probably what keeps me hooked.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the XJS when I was stationed in Holy Loch Scotland back in the mid-late 70's, It had that unique style and sleekness to it. I said to myself, I am going to get one of those. 36 years later I finally got one, I have only had it for 7 months, we spend a lot of quality time together in the garage.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett
I bought my 88.5 coupe because I woke up one day, realized I could just about afford one and I'd thought they were one of the most beautiful cars ever made when I saw the white one Ian Ogilvy drove as Simon Templar in Return of The Saint when I was a teenager.

I still love looking at it and I get a kick out of seeing it on the street or in a lot and knowing that's my car.

I love the ride (most comfortable car ever), the sound of the doors opening and closing, the smell of the Connolly leather, the odd drum gauges, the wood... And I love the way it handles. It takes off like an airplane, sticks to the road and handles like no other car I've driven. Not nimble or even forgiving but tight and exceptional in its own way. I almost always feel better after driving it and a little sad when the day is over and it's time to stop.

Also, it reminds me of what cars used to be. They felt, smelled, sounded and looked different. They didn't drive themselves.

It's insane but I feel like my car has a personality.

I'd love it if the XJ-S got a bit more respect- it's irritating that other car enthusiasts treat it like the punch line of a joke- but I don't particularly need or want to see the prices skyrocket like with the E-Type. I mean, it would be nice to be proven right but part of what I love is their value for money.

My XJ-S experience hasn't been smooth but as SARC said, I'll get to a point replacing the everything where I'll know it all. I already have more knowledge about my particular car than any other car I've had.

Of course, today I wanted to take her out for my birthday and, for the first time ever, she wouldn't start. Ah, the Jag life, eh?

Thanks Rhett, I wish could have written that because that's the way I feel about mine!! First and only Jag I'll ever own!!
Dick C.

Rhett (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Im the mid 80s I had a conversation with an older gentleman getting gas. He said he had outrun a NJ State trooper in his XJ-S. I was intrigued as you can't outrun a radio! He said he was so far ahead of the trooper he took an exit of the Interstate 80 and disappeared. He claimed the XJ-S was a 160 mph car.
Twenty years later, I outrun a Utah Trooper when he slammed on his lights & brakes & did a U-turn on I-15, I was doing about 90 mph, kicked up to 120mph and disappeared on the next exit. I also ran with my diesel mechanic's WRX STi up to 145 mph in NV. I would NOT recommend any of this. Troopers will take your license on the spot. They don't fool around anymore...

Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I had not really given it much thought what a great high speed cruiser the XJS was in it's day until I read about the XJ-S that won the Cannonball race back in 1978. As I remember the winner of that race was looking for a car that could do 120mph stock all day long and of course the XJ-S was picked because it could. Not only could the XJ-S cruise at 120mph but it did so in such refinement. I have read over and over how quiet the XJ-S was at high speed and how well it held the road.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry i havn't read all the posts, but ever since Bathurst 85 (Motorcar race in Australia) Ive had a soft for the XJS, it was a unique coupe muscle car. My first choice was to buy a 69 Mustang but overpriced over here so I bought an 83 XJS for near nothing with only 130K on it, my thoughts where big block V8 but after owning it from day one I could not live without the V12, just can not wait to get the 5 speed manual transmission in it!
Great looks, good handling and a fantastic way to keep fit, as I do a lot of walking every time I take it out (LOL).

Last edited by Katoh; 04-04-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Whole bunch of suffering and this:

The following 2 users liked this post by Mish_Mish:
gregh (04-07-2014), LnrB (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all you XJS lovers.
I have been a "car" guy all my life. At 5 yrs. old, my dad told me later that I could identify every car on the street. That was in the 30's and 40's when there were a few 16cyl. Cadillacs around. My first job at 22 yrs. old was with a small company in New Orleans, (British Motors) that sold Jags, Nuffield and Roots group cars, Triumphs and British Fords. Able to borrow $$$ from my mother to buy my first Jag, a new '54 XK-120M Roadster. It was a great sports car but like most kids, I got tired of it and sold it after about 2 years. Fast forward to 2010 when I got a beautiful 2001 Vanden Plas. Great car, magnificant refined 32valve V-8. magnificant ZF 5-speed automatic. Fast forward to 2013, my GREATEST Jaguar ever, my current '94 XJS V-12 Coupe 2+2, 6-litre, black over saddle, 55K miles. In the years before getting this car, I swore I would have to own a 12 cyl. car before I died and have no regrets. I did lots of research on XJS's before my purchase and knew that I was buying a potential disaaster that could suck my bank balance dry! This hasn't happened yet and I still have a few unresolved problems. This morning on my way to church, when I was stopped at a red light, the driver next to me motioned for me to roll down my window and his exact words were "Prestige Jaguar, absolutely beautiful, whatever you are doing, keep it up"
I love everything about the Jag----beautiful sensous design, top quality material and workmanship, fine ride and road holding, smooth V-12 engine. The worse part of the car is the lousy GM 4L80E 4-speed automatic trans. Why didn't Jag use the excellent ZF box?
I will probably have to sell the car in about a year because at 84 with Parkinsons and failing eye sight, I won't be able to drive anymore, what a sad day that will be.
But fond memories of the XJS will always be in my mind. Thank you Lord for allowing me to experience this wonderful car even for this short time.

Take Care,

Bob (Spillwaybob)

The following 7 users liked this post by Spillwaybob:
AllanG (04-06-2014), andersh (04-08-2014), Flint Ironstag (04-06-2014), LnrB (04-07-2014), LuvmyXJS' (04-06-2014), Rhett (04-07-2014), Scoupe89 (04-06-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Whole bunch of suffering and this:

1982 Jaguar XJS - YouTube
Sweet, Sweet. -I happen to notice, your wheels are nearly exactly same as the ones I'm considering for mine. -Are they 16" or 17"? Were they genuine BMW or after-market?

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spillwaybob
Hi all you XJS lovers.
I have been a "car" guy all my life. At 5 yrs. old, my dad told me later that I could identify every car on the street.
I will probably have to sell the car in about a year because at 84 with Parkinsons and failing eye sight, I won't be able to drive anymore, what a sad day that will be.
But fond memories of the XJS will always be in my mind. Thank you Lord for allowing me to experience this wonderful car even for this short time.

Take Care,

Bob (Spillwaybob)
Bob, what a great story! Thank you for sharing that. At least you *have* 4 speeds. The 3 speed GM400 in my '88.5 is a travesty.

My mother used to play the "what's that car?" game with me when I was a child in the late '60's/'70's. Up to a certain point, I can still call 'em.

Anyway, best of luck with the Parkinson's (sorry) and good on you for driving what must no doubt be a magnificent XJS in spite of it.

Thanks again.

Spillwaybob (04-09-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by gregh
Sweet, Sweet. -I happen to notice, your wheels are nearly exactly same as the ones I'm considering for mine. -Are they 16" or 17"? Were they genuine BMW or after-market?
These are genuine 17" BBS rims, off 2002 BMW 530i.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

bob best of luck with your health! i'm 80 yrs.

about the trans's the ZF 5 speed was not considered strong enough for the 6L V12,

at least by its max torque ratings. + they got a good deal with GM.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
Sorry i havn't read all the posts, but ever since Bathurst 85 (Motorcar race in Australia) Ive had a soft for the XJS, it was a unique coupe muscle car. My first choice was to buy a 69 Mustang but overpriced over here so I bought an 83 XJS for near nothing with only 130K on it, my thoughts where big block V8 but after owning it from day one I could not live without the V12, just can not wait to get the 5 speed manual transmission in it!
Great looks, good handling and a fantastic way to keep fit, as I do a lot of walking every time I take it out (LOL).

Katoh, I was told to carry a cell phone!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dickc
Katoh, I was told to carry a cell phone!
Welcome to the wonderful land of OZ, phone coverage is not all that good, nothing at work nothing in my workshop, sometimes at home. Oh I just noticed my phone is made by Lucas Electric's, I wonder? LOL!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Nothing captured my imagination like the XJ-S. Aston Martins and Jensens but I don't want a trailer princess or any car too precious to drive. Coming close to the XJ-S in terms of practical desirability (meaning affordable & not-too precious) would be a Volvo 1800E, an XJ6 series 3 (because an XJC would be too precious) or a BMW 3.0 CS but a Triumph TR4a starts looking really good when the sun comes out.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for bringing this subject up. I owned a'95 XJS for several years up until divorce, and plan to buy another soon.

I love the ride most of all, the way it handles bumps effortlessly.

As to its look, people would break their necks turning to look at it at stoplights, even little kids would say wow what a cool looking car. The styling is timeless.

-Bufcats

LuvmyXJS' (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

keep it rust free and when scrap goes up we will all be quid's in, lol