XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looked at a '90 XJS today...have questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

I was thinking about this yesterday. Have you downloaded Kirby Palm's book yet? There is a lot of discussion about the stock half-pass radiator scheme and the single pass Be-Cool system. Would definitely be worth your time to read through it, no matter who does the work.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edelweiss
I was thinking about this yesterday. Have you downloaded Kirby Palm's book yet? There is a lot of discussion about the stock half-pass radiator scheme and the single pass Be-Cool system. Would definitely be worth your time to read through it, no matter who does the work.
Even better...within the library of books I received with the vehicle was a spiral bound printed (on heavy paper stock) copy of Kirby's book. Two huge volumes...with tabbed pages, notes, and comments. I think I have a full set of service manuals, too! I was SO beat by the time I got home with it last night. It was 118 in Phoenix (where I was until early afternoon), and then 113 where I picked the car up (the pickup was like a NASCAR pit stop, let me tell you!) and then it was 93 or so at home. We passed a huge wreck on the interstate, and the southbound side was closed because of it. Needless to say, between the heat and the stress of managing the tow, I felt like I had ran a marathon. I was exhausted. Actually, I still am. It's a lovely way to start the week. Blah.

All that said...I finally got it home! I should have an opportunity tonight to post some updated pictures and an initial assessment. Thank you again for all the great information that has been provided during this process. Now it's time to implement the knowledge!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on getting it home! Looking forward to the pics.

Padre

Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 PM

Well...a couple things and a couple pictures. I couldn't get good pics of the repair manual books...but they are really heavy. Also the electrical guide. Probably not a great sign that I found that, eh? Ha ha!

I haven't yet found what I am holding in my hand in the one pic, but whatever it is comes through the firewall as shown in the other pic.

Also...there are a couple of spots in the driveway today, although two of them appear to be coming from the front suspension boot/cover. I will investigate that in the manual tonight. There also appears to be a small leak from either the engine or the transmission. I was too tired to try and reach under there to see what color it was. I figured that could wait, since nothing was getting done about it tonight!

Is this a radiator overflow or something? It screws to the wheel well and looks like there should be a lid...it is on the right front corner of the engine bay.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by williewilkens
Well...a couple things and a couple pictures. I couldn't get good pics of the repair manual books...but they are really heavy. Also the electrical guide. Probably not a great sign that I found that, eh? Ha ha!

I haven't yet found what I am holding in my hand in the one pic, but whatever it is comes through the firewall as shown in the other pic.

Is this a radiator overflow or something? It screws to the wheel well and looks like there should be a lid...it is on the right front corner of the engine bay.
Cable is for cruise control runs from arrangement above throttle pedal inside to bellows in "V" which l don't see in your pics and filler spout is headlight/windscreen washer reservoir. Should have a snap on top.

Last edited by baxtor; 06-20-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by williewilkens

Also...there are a couple of spots in the driveway today, although two of them appear to be coming from the front suspension boot/cover. [/I]
XJS that leaks? That's as rare as a day that ends in 'y'. The latter one is likely a leak from the power steering rack. The internal seals leak into the boot.

On the windshield washer fluid reservoir, you can pick up a replacement cap at your local O'Reilly's or similar chain store. It's a standard GM size and I think they have it in the "help" section of parts for $5 or so.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I always try to be an optimist. so, in this case, a full set of documents
equals a caring PO. The electric schematic is the best I've seen and has been very helpful for me. I've shared pages with others.

I agree, on the cable and the bottle. Neither is in service in my XJ wuzza six.

Agree, the leak is probably from the rack. When you get it sorted out, asses the extent and decide the fix. 1. Tolerate, it 2. Add a sealer. Temporary only. 3. Replace the rack.

That is really a nice car.

Carl

Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

If it's a steering fluid leak, there are a couple of hoses that go between the pump and the cooler on the low pressure side. They are held on with hose clamps, and I presume the rubber has gone had at this stage and is leaking there. I'd start looking there, rather than the rack. Of course the rack could be leaking too...

The pump is a standard GM pump too, you might have to change the housing to match the Jaguar mounting points. I've not done that to see if a GM pump is a direct bolt in.

Take Kirby's book with a grain of salt too. Some of his opinions are presented as facts or must do's and I think he can be overly alarmist. Just don't use it as a sole source of information.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Default Update 6.30.2016

Hi all,

Well...I've been on the shelf this week, as I had shoulder surgery on Monday morning. It was kind of scheduled at the last minute (they called LAST FRIDAY to schedule it!), but I wanted to get it going so I wouldn't miss the start of bowling in the fall. Yes...I'm one of those guys. Anyway...since I knew I was going to be out of commission, I wanted to give the XJS a test run.

I had already topped off the coolant, so I knew it was ready to go. Last Saturday, we traveled about 25 miles down the road and back. Divided four-lane...speed limit was 65...I kept it around 60 most of the time. It rode wonderfully. Steering was maybe a bit spongy (which may be typical...haven't researched that yet), but other than that, it got down the road pretty well.

It took me a minute to get back on the road at the turn...and I noticed the temp gauge got a bit elevated. Of course, once I noticed this, I also noticed how uphill the road back was. Crap. But I nursed her home without too much trouble (beyond having my heart up in my throat!). I let it idle for a short while and then popped the bonnet to enable cooling. She proceeded to throw up coolant all over herself...just light bubbling out of both radiator caps.

So I guess that completely seals the deal. Not that any of this is surprising, but I wanted to make a fair assessment beyond the initial test driving experience before deciding how to proceed. I want to get this cooling issue taken care of while I am on the mend...so I am off to see if I can facilitate that. I'll keep you posted.

It also appears that the tail lights are not working at all...so I may let them check into that as well. Since it's going to be a little while before I can get down that low and get back up...LOL.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,091 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Congratulations, lovely looking car. Engine looked clean from what I could see.
Coolant bubbling is potentially disastrous, but straightforward to fix and not expensive if you do the work - I hope the shoulder gets better soon! This is your FIRST PRIORITY. Forget everything else and get this fixed first, overheating is the only thing that will ever break your engine. The Great Palm is good in what to do, but in essence it is: Remove rad, get your local radiator place to check the core is not blocked, if it is, recore it, clean the fins and clean all the crud out of the oil and aircon rads in front of the engine rad. Replace the viscous drive on the engine driven fan, and check the belt condition and tension. Replace top and bottom hoses, and all the rest if they are old-looking and soft when warm.
Refit and fill and bleed (search on here for how to ensure you do the bleeding properly, just pouring in the coolant will NOT do it).
See what happens after all that. If still a bit iffy, new water pump, but I doubt that will be needed.
Welcome to the forum, you will love your car and easily get it reliable, taking it steady, one thing at a time, and fixing each thing properly.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-30-2016 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-16-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Don't forget to check the condition of the overflow hose and expansion tank which is buried in the left front wing; if the water is coming out of the rad caps then that could be blocked.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve M:
Greg in France (07-01-2016), orangeblossom (07-16-2016), williewilkens (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M
Don't forget to check the condition of the overflow hose and expansion tank which is buried in the left front wing; if the water is coming out of the rad caps then that could be blocked.
That's right...and I forgot to stick my head into it the other day. I will see if I can have a look this weekend.

I've made an appointment to have an assessment of the cooling system performed (which I think we all know how that will go) and we will then proceed from there. I'm just excited to get moving on it. I'm sure I won't be as excited when I get the bill, but this was expected...so I won't be surprised. If they can get to the bottom of the cooling problem while I'm on the mend, I can dig into the rest of things when I'm a little more mobile.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:08 PM

Well, I don't have much of an update, but here's what I know from the shop so far. Neither of the fans were working at all, which I expected, as I found a broken/disconnected wire at the relay before I was taking it in. Also, both radiator caps were horribly loose fitting (which I also expected). So I've instructed them to do whatever it takes...if they can make the existing parts (radiator included) useful, to go ahead...otherwise, we'll replace what needs to be replaced.

I should probably call/stop by as it's been a week since the last update. But I told them there was no big hurry...so I'm not surprised by this. Although, the wife did ask about when we were getting it back the other night. So at least she's still interested. I guess that is something!

I start physical therapy for the shoulder on Monday. It's been pretty functional, but will still be sore for a while. I'm still shocked that it was just a bone spur and not a rotator cuff or something structural, given the number of innings I have thrown in my life. LOL.

Anyway...I will update as I hear more info. I'm hoping to get it back in the next week or so...

Last edited by williewilkens; 07-15-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: forgot part of the story
Old 07-16-2016, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

Agree, heal that shoulder first. You were really a pitcher????
My shoulder are just old... But, a few years back the left one was realy hurting an stiff. VA Doc sent me to their resident physical therapist. First up. Get your posture in shape. Then how to sleep on my shoulders. And a set of excercises. Much better, not perfect, but...

As a joke, I asked Can I throw a 965 MPH fast ball"? She looked in awe and asked did you? No way, but I thought your fix might allow me to get the speed up. Ha, not even close.

As I read, my mind said. loose or bum radiator caps. Good ones don't leak.... Can't keep the desired 15 #'s or so PSI's that way. Coolant boils at a lower temperature. Coolant a t a boil ain't doing much cooling...

OK to "dream" of the fixes as your shoulder heals.

Carl

Carl

Old 07-16-2016, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member

CORRECTION 95 MPH!!!!

CArl

Old 07-18-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
You were really a pitcher????
Ha ha...not professionally. I did go to a Atlanta Braves tryout camp in '86. There was a kid who had played in the Midwest League that was throwing 94 mph. I hit a kid with a curve ball, and then he took the next fastball out of the park. Not a great showing...and that was the end of the line. But I had pitched all the time from age 8 through the first year of college...so structural damage would not have surprised me one bit. I was more shocked that there was none...

Old 07-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Default Update 7.22.2016

So I stopped in the shop yesterday to inquire about their progress. The shop owner happened to be behind the counter, and is the guy who is working on it (and is also a Jag owner, by the way!).

Here's what he's found so far:
  • Leaky radiator caps (which have been replaced)
  • Fans not working - he was not happy with the setup. It is an aftermarket assembly, none of which is belt driven. Don't know what he is planning to do yet.
  • Wiring issues - he was not happy with some of the things he found; also asked if he can remove the aftermarket alarm system.
  • Gas leak - apparently there was a gas leak somewhere in the engine bay, that was pooling beneath the exhaust somewhere (YIKES!). He's waiting for a part to fix that issue.

Needless to say...I told him to take his time and fix whatever is necessary to make this thing safe and road worthy. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like the $$ have rang up too bad so far. But I'm sure we'll get there...

Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Although baseball or soft ball was never one of my accomplishments as a kid, I've learned something of it and watch the local SF Giants on TV rather regularly.

One of the games against the NY Yankees showed their closer. One 100 +_ fast ball after another. Peak at 104!!!

It seems to me that many pitches wreak havoc on the elbow. Hence,
"Tommy John" surgery developed by a DR. Jobe in LA has resuscitated many careers.

I find, cut, slide, curve, off speed pitching strategy intriguing.

Agree, out the after market alarm system, no good to be found there only potential for bad.

Oh, E fans in lieu of the original plastic. Good ones properly wired
and controlled are great. Not so, not good. My lump has a pair.
My GM PCM controls them. I'm very pleased with them.

So far, it seems you are in good hands. Understanding your critter enables you to work with a good tech. Although, I've been a DIY guy for decades.

But, a really good tech resolved a couple of issues that prevented my car from passing an ornerous CA SMOG test.

Carl

Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Although baseball or soft ball was never one of my accomplishments as a kid, I've learned something of it and watch the local SF Giants on TV rather regularly.

One of the games against the NY Yankees showed their closer. One 100 +_ fast ball after another. Peak at 104!!!

It seems to me that many pitches wreak havoc on the elbow. Hence,
"Tommy John" surgery developed by a DR. Jobe in LA has resuscitated many careers. I find, cut, slide, curve, off speed pitching strategy intriguing.

Agree, out the after market alarm system, no good to be found there only potential for bad.

Oh, E fans in lieu of the original plastic. Good ones properly wired
and controlled are great. Not so, not good. My lump has a pair.
My GM PCM controls them. I'm very pleased with them.

So far, it seems you are in good hands. Understanding your critter enables you to work with a good tech. Although, I've been a DIY guy for decades.

But, a really good tech resolved a couple of issues that prevented my car from passing an ornerous CA SMOG test.
Carl
I never had that much gas in the tank (I think 89 mph was the max I ever heard), but I can tell you, the doctor is glad that I don't play ball anymore. Throwing overhand is one of the most destructive motions you can subject your shoulder to. Fortunately, they are not concerned about the underhand motion...so I can resume bowling within the next month or so. I don't watch much baseball anymore...simply because I get pulled in and really don't have the time to sit there and watch. I remember one night years ago when watching a game with my daughters...I called the pitch and location for an entire inning...and they were just looking at me like I was crazy. When you've played that long, you kind of pick these things up. I do miss being out there...but I think my lower back is also glad I've retired!

No new news on the Jag this week. Which is okay, because I'm leaving for vacation on Friday...so it won't matter anyway. I figure if he was concerned about some of the electrical, then I should let him sort out whatever in that area. That is definitely not my strong suit. And I cannot stand being upside down under the dash anymore. That's a good way to not walk straight for a week!

I've been busy unloading guitars this week (got too many of them, and I'm not playing in a band anymore either), which is going towards either home improvements or to the build a new garage/studio fund. Unless she blows it all on vacation, that is. Ha ha!