XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wiper park position

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Wiper park position

My passenger side wiper touches the windscreen rubber seal.

I have just renewed the wipers, and the old wiper was doing it as well, but much worse. I turned the new wiper the other way around to make it as short as possible, but it still touches the rubber.

PO had placed a large piece of black tape to protect the rubber and chrome. I removed it as I thought I had solved it by turning the wiper around...
Should the wiper park higher on the screen ?

Wipers are 15" as recommended by all the.sites I've found...

Old 05-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Try a 14" wiper

Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,104 Likes on 5,363 Posts

Originally Posted by leo_denmark
Leo
This is normal ex-factory. Nothing to be done, they all do it. The wiper will not harm the rubber or the stainless steel trim.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-22-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi Leo,

My '90, 3.6 also has 15 inch wipers but they park higher on the screen than yours so that the outside wiper is about 1 cm from the screen edge at each end. It was like it when I bought the car and as I thought it looked a little untidy I was thinking of investigating if I could make them park lower but now I can see I might have the same issue as you so will probably leave them. Personal preference I guess.

Cheers,
Lee

Old 05-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by leo_denmark

I have just renewed the wipers, and the old wiper was doing it as well, but much worse. I turned the new wiper the other way around to make it as short as possible, but it still touches the rubber.

PO had placed a large piece of black tape to protect the rubber and chrome. I removed it as I thought I had solved it by turning the wiper around...
Should the wiper park higher on the screen ?

Wipers are 15" as recommended by all the.sites I've found...
Hmmm. Mine's a '94 and are also 15" each.

When I first got it, they were parked way too high and blocked my view:

They're pretty easy to adjust, just pop the cover, 13mm bolt, set new position:

Now they fit great (more hidden):

Yours are opposite of mine. Strange that they are too longer on the outer edge. Since it's the passenger side, I'd use a 14".

Padre

Old 05-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks all

It's good to know, that the wiper won't hurt the rubber or chrome. I think I will try to mount a 14" wiper, I don't want them to park too high, it will probably look wrong.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi all,

My wipers look exactly like Padre's before he adjusted them to park lower down the screen.

However, I hadn't realised that on his side of the big pond the wipers park on the same side of the screen as they do in the UK. So I can appreciate this would not be good for the driver's visibility.

Fortunately, in the UK, this only effects my wife's view of life in the fast lane so assuming she does not discover the forum I will leave the wipers where they are.

Cheers,
LeeP

Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

It seems there is no rhyme or reason as to which side the wipers park. Some LHD they park on the 'wrong' side and some RHD park on the 'wrong' side..mine park on the 'right' side...

Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine park on the right also. They used to sit high until I dismantled the motor and cleaned and lubed it. It's like you have a left drive car with right drive wipers. They where probable out of the left drive sets and installed what they had. Must of been Friday afternoon. Lol
Of replaced by someone who didn't know better

Old 05-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Leo
This is normal ex-factory. Nothing to be done, they all do it. The wiper will not harm the rubber or the stainless steel trim.
Greg
Hi Greg

I've just checked my Wipers and they are 15in but don't overhang at all on the Passenger side.

Could they be a different make or maybe Aftermarket or something?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,104 Likes on 5,363 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Greg
I've just checked my Wipers and they are 15in but don't overhang at all on the Passenger side.
Could they be a different make or maybe Aftermarket or something?
Assuming the blades and the arms are the standard length the answer is no. Your park better because they park on the UK passenger side, rather than the UK driver's side. There appears to be absolutely mo rhyme or reason why some cars had them parking one side, and some the other. There is, apparently, no model, date, or country conformity!
It is perfectly possible, on the UK driver's side parking wipers, to shorten the length, either by buying a shorter blade or a shorter arm. The problem is you lose swept area at the top of the screen. Mine park on the driver's side and one easy mod that I have done is to bend the arm downwards to make it lie flatter when parked - but the blade still overlaps and rests on the rubber.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 05-23-2016 at 01:09 AM.
orangeblossom (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Iirc it depends on what wiper version is fitted which determins which side the wipers rest on...

Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Iirc it depends on what wiper version is fitted which determins which side the wipers rest on...
Hi Daim

I'm not quite sure what you mean by different versions, could you expand a little on that.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Assuming the blades and the arms are the standard length the answer is no. Your park better because they park on the UK passenger side, rather than the UK driver's side. There appears to be absolutely mo rhyme or reason why some cars had them parking one side, and some the other. There is, apparently, no model, date, or country conformity!
It is perfectly possible, on the UK driver's side parking wipers, to shorten the length, either by buying a shorter blade or a shorter arm. The problem is you lose swept area at the top of the screen. Mine park on the driver's side and one easy mod that I have done is to bend the arm downwards to make it lie flatter when parked - but the blade still overlaps and rests on the rubber.
Greg
Hi Greg

That's a crazy situation

I wonder what they were thinking (or maybe not thinking in this case) to do something like that.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

the way the blades park is due to which motor they used, some are Electrolux and some are Lucas, there is a setup guide in the ROM for the XJS and describes how and where the blades sit ,

but basically , the one sits level with the lower windscreen rubber , and is parallel to it

the other one sits right on the edge of the windscreen rubber( not over it ) to the side, any overhang for the standard 15" blade must be corrected to achieve this position ( as in the grey car pic above )

BB

Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Daim

I'm not quite sure what you mean by different versions, could you expand a little on that.
Depending on VIN a different supplier was chosen. My 89 parks the wipers on the left. A friends 92 on the right. And I've seen younger and older ones with different parking sides. So I guess it is random. I remember reading in my Enthusiasts Guide that it said, that a different supplier was chosen.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Depending on VIN a different supplier was chosen. My 89 parks the wipers on the left. A friends 92 on the right. And I've seen younger and older ones with different parking sides. So I guess it is random. I remember reading in my Enthusiasts Guide that it said, that a different supplier was chosen.
Cheers Daim

If they were redesigning the XJS

I would have to mention the Wipers.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
the way the blades park is due to which motor they used, some are Electrolux and some are Lucas, there is a setup guide in the ROM for the XJS and describes how and where the blades sit ,

but basically , the one sits level with the lower windscreen rubber , and is parallel to it

the other one sits right on the edge of the windscreen rubber( not over it ) to the side, any overhang for the standard 15" blade must be corrected to achieve this position ( as in the grey car pic above )

BB
Cheers BB

Well that's cleared that up.

So Thanks

Old 05-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

My 95 4.0 coupe parks to the left, which does bother me while driving. I would like to have them park on the right side. Does anyone have information on making this change?

Benj628 (01-20-2017)
Old 05-26-2016, 01:39 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RonaldP
My 95 4.0 coupe parks to the left, which does bother me while driving. I would like to have them park on the right side. Does anyone have information on making this change?

being a 94 car it might be even more difficult, but basically you have to swap out the complete wiper box and also the steering column wiper function stalk as the stalk, wiring and motor are all matched for each brand of wiper motor, ( Electrolux or Lucas )

if the stalk isn't changed , some funtions on the alternative motor doesn't work, ( like single pulse wipe, or timer wipe etc )

BB

Quick Reply: Wiper park position