XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
View Poll Results: What Jaguar in the current Jaguar lineup is the true successor to the E-Type?
XK/XKR (X150)
68.00%
F-Type
24.00%
Not sure
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Which is the true successor to the E-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Which is the true successor to the E-Type?

All of this talk comparing the XK/XKR to the F-Type has me wondering: which is the true successor to the F-Type?

Some food for thought that I found online:

Jaguar F-type: too heavy, too expensive… and too late? | AutoCognition

It is difficult to miss the epidemic of road tests for the Jaguar F-type in recent days. Naturally, journalists have been tearing up the tarmac for quite some time but it was only recently that Jaguar lifted the embargo on publication, hence the ensuing tsunami of articles in the press. The outpouring of praise is almost embarrassingly effusive, with nary a word spoken against the car. Quite right – it is difficult to remember a Jag that ever was bad, perhaps just a little misunderstood.

Understanding the F-type should be straightforward. Its job is to rekindle warm memories of the E-Type (XKE in the US) by showing that Jaguar can produce sports cars of eye-popping style and bowel-loosening performance without the wallet-bursting price. Well, two out of three ain’t bad. Actually, make that one-and-a-half out of three. Not only is it no bargain, starting at 58,000 of your British pounds for the basic V6-engined version, but it is hardly the style icon of its famous forebear either. Of course it has some lovely touches, and the idea of dual-zone interior styling, one for the driver and one for the passenger, could start a new trend, but is there anything genuinely new here? Well there shouldn’t be – Jaguar has been hiding under its own shadow ever since the XJ-S luxury tourer of 1975 gave everyone such a fright.

This is not to say that the F-type is a carbon copy of the E-Type. Granted, it shows off the same kind of voluptuous curves but aggressive cuts into the metal leave one in no doubt that this car means business, both on the boulevards and also the back-roads of the world. Then again Jaguar should have got it right because they can easily show you one that they did earlier. Not just the XJ41 prototype of the 1980s but the current XK. This too was designed to pick up the E-Type baton, though the company chose to allude to the US market XKE name to indicate where new model’s target audience really was. The modern XK is also close in style to the E-Type/XKE. So, not only has the F-type missed out on the more valuable American XK moniker, it is also too late to snag the iconic styling.

In any event, this may not matter since the days of the XK are surely numbered. Although the purpose of the F-type may be to reignite the passion for driving, it is heavily based on the XK. Since the older car is more gran turismo than XKE, and don’t anyone dare mention the XJ-S again, it is inevitable that the new car should share the same basic characteristics. The road tests show that it is certainly more driver focused but it cannot escape its luxury tourer genes. Neither can the F-type escape the XK’s engineering cost. Being so closely related to the older, premium car, the F-type seems to be too heavy, too expensive and too late.

As if to emphasise the point that the F-type is the young pretender to the XK’s market position, an F-type coupe variant will appear in the next year or so. We will then enjoy the spectacle of an under-sized British car manufacturer with two competing sports car ranges sharing the same basic design and driving ethos, only with one range just a bit smaller, cheaper and sexier than the other. The F-type may take the sports car crown, but only by sticking the knife into the XK. One wonders who is responsible for Jaguar’s product strategy.
Personally, I think the XK is more of a successor to the E-Type, although the F-Type may function more like the E-Type. The XK is longer, lower and leaner-looking. Not to mention that it shares the XKE's "XK" moniker, whose roots can be traced back to the XK120. I also think that there is more continuity of the lineage from the XK120 to the XKE, XJ-S, XK8/XKR and the X150.

I'm not saying the F-Type isn't a great sports car from the Jaguar brand, but it just makes me cringe when the new marketing campaign makes it seem like the F-Type is only car in Jaguar's lineup with a claim to the E-Type's throne, when at the time that the X150 was introduced, parallels between the E-Type and X150 were unavoidable...

What say you?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 932 Posts

Silhouette only, the XK for sure.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Jaguar has been designing and building the XK successors for years, and the XK moniker has been used exclusively for every one of them (the XJ-S was never a successor). The launch of the F-Type posed a problem I think since the XK Series is alive, better than ever, and will continue. Jaguar is playing the E-Type card as best they can, and despite the F-Type being shorter and having no back seat, the XK Series owns the updated iconic shape and style of the XKE.

Bruce

Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,195 Likes on 3,407 Posts

I agree that the X150 looks more like the old XKE than the F-Type. I base my opinion primarily on the X150 proportions and overall shape and curves, as well as styling cues including the front grille design (4.2models), tail lights, and retro "Jaguar" logo hub caps on my 2009 Portfolio. Anyone who grew up in the 60's and loved the XKE can definitely see the family resemblance in the X150. Not so with the F-Type, which can pass for other brands if it didn't have a Jaguar emblem. The XKE and the X150 are both sexy babes; the F-Type not so much. The X150 captures the spirit of the XKE design much more than the F-Type, in my opinion.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-03-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The F type!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I didn't vote, simply because in my opinion nothing has succeeded the E Type. It was truly a design icon and there are very few cars you can say that about..

Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GMad
I didn't vote, simply because in my opinion nothing has succeeded the E Type. It was truly a design icon and there are very few cars you can say that about..

Agree with you. I now drive an XK and was a longtime owner of an E-Type. I recently drove the new F Type. These are 3 quite different cars.
The E-Type was a styling and technological leap ahead of any cars of its era that were produced in any significant quantities, and at a relatively low cost. Although they are both good cars, I don’t think this applies to either the XK or the F-Type.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

A successor doesn't have to be as good as the original to be a successor, does it? Hmmm..

Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
A successor doesn't have to be as good as the original to be a successor, does it? Hmmm..

Yes! Or it quite simply doesn't succeed in replacing the original.

The XK and F Type are a coupe and sports car of the twenty first century and they happen to be a part of the Jaguar range.
That is where the similarity ends..

Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Yes! Or it quite simply doesn't succeed in replacing the original.
I don't see succession as a "replacement" as much as fulfilling a similar role/position in an organization (whether it be a family, government, business, etc.) once the predecessor is no longer in existence (dead!).

The following users liked this post:
elindo (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The F type performs better than the E type in every way. It's better looking inside and out - therefore, i see it as a successor. The E type was cool in the 60s, but the F type is better in all segments.

Had Jaguar replicated the E type, it would have been a terrible move. They would be rusting on dealer lots.

ralphwg (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hands Down it is the Jag. Growler. Unfortunately this model does not seem to be available. I believe it is a 'one off' built by a private entrepeneur;look at the back end, for example, it's pure E-type !

Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting and varied views on what constitutes a "successor", which maybe isn't even the right term to use. Jaguar has used XJ to identify their saloons and luxury coupes, and XK for their sports model for many decades now. When they've added an additional model, like with the X-Type, they distinguish it from the others with a new name, and they've done that with the F-Type as well. And that doesn't mean they can't relate it to an XK model when they think it's deserving.

Each new XK Series design has paid homage to the XK's that came before. The current XK has strong resemblance to the XKE by careful design, despite having to evolve to meet modern automotive trends and requirements. Having owned and loved the XKE convertible I was immediately drawn to the styling and proportions carried through to the current XKR. The shape of the long and low hood with oval grill, engine bulge and exhaust louvers is classic E-Type, as is the whole shape of the rear. Even got the early E-Type's taillight shape integrated into the new car's lens. Ian Callum is madly in love with the E-Type... and it shows in the modern XK.

Where the XK has evolved from the XKE, the F-Type doesn't really attempt to in my opinion, but is rather a "clean sheet of paper" model with it's designers drawing inspiration from the essence of the original E-Type, not its styling. That's a great idea for a new perfomance model, it explains why there's little attempt to connect the two by styling, and the XK lives on for those who appreciate its virtues...and its connection with the past.

Bruce

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
amcdonal86 (09-06-2013), mosesbotbol (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Where the XK has evolved from the XKE, the F-Type doesn't really attempt to in my opinion, but is rather a "clean sheet of paper" model with it's designers drawing inspiration from the essence of the original E-Type, not its styling.
Exactly my thoughts.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I don't see succession as a "replacement" as much as fulfilling a similar role/position in an organization (whether it be a family, government, business, etc.) once the predecessor is no longer in existence (dead!).
That would certainly be the case with pretty much any other car.
But not the E Type!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

That would certainly be the case with pretty much any other car.
But not the E Type!
In what way do you feel the XK doesn't fulfill a similar role/position in the Jaguar line-up? The XKE had grown in size, weight, luxury appointments...and dare I say grand touring credentials, and was Jaguar's only sports/GT model during its production. The XK8 and XK Series were also the only sports/GT models during their production through to 2013.

Bruce

Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,829 Likes on 12,179 Posts

The E-Type was a game-changer. When it was introduced, it simply blasted all the opposition by offering a design/cost package that was unbeatable by any other manufacturer.

Even by today's standards, the design is beautifully elegant. It's also still a wonderful drive but not as exciting as it was when I owned one over forty years ago. The electrifying performance when it was new has inevitably become less exceptional by comparison with modern everyday vehicles.

The E-Type owed nothing to predecessor two door Jaguar coupe and convertible models. It was radical. Although the XK8/XKR, XK/XKR and now the F-Type are all great cars, they are descendents of the E-Type with many design cues deliberately aping the original and none is a true 'successor' by being fundamentally new thinking. Mechanically and technically they are all products of their time but don't offer anything that cant also be found in other marques.

Will another quantum leap like XK to E-Type ever happen again? In the days of Computer Aided Design it becomes increasingly less likely outside the realm of 'design concept' cars.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
DGL (10-09-2013), GMad (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Although the XK8/XKR, XK/XKR and now the F-Type are all great cars, they are descendents of the E-Type with many design cues deliberately aping the original and none is a true 'successor' by being fundamentally new thinking. Mechanically and technically they are all products of their time but don't offer anything that cant also be found in other marques.

Will another quantum leap like XK to E-Type ever happen again? In the days of Computer Aided Design it becomes increasingly less likely outside the realm of 'design concept' cars.

Graham
If you're suggesting "descendent" is the correct term to describe a relationship with a former model, then I'm fine with that, and would suggest the XK/XKR is definitely the XKE's descendent...although I'm not sure both terms don't apply in equal measure.

The XK Series is both unique and extraordinary, despite its form evolving from the XKE. While each era's XK has been different from the previous, they have each been stunning and remarkable sports/GTs that have been standouts among their contemporaries, and the current XK Series fully continues that Jaguar tradition.

We live and breathe the current XK on this forum, look at them every day in our driveways, and naturally come to take the car for granted to an extent. We pour over reviews of other high-end performance cars and are disappointed the XK doesn't top the list. Well the mighty XKE didn't either, particularly in North America where the 150+ mph 3.07 differential was replaced by the 3.31 diff good for just 120 mph, and the early 265 hp 3.8L and 4.2L triple carbed engine was replaced with the 220 hp twin Stromberg carbed version. The light weight 2400 lb car grew to nearly 3400 lbs, and it's sharp handling deteriorated as it evolved into a luxurious 12 cylinder cruiser that was less appealing. In contrast, the current XK Series has continued to improve, and they're building the best ones right now, with the R versions being among the best in the world.

If you should ever forget how special the current XK is you will see it on a number of "Best Cars Ever" lists, and the XKE will be there also. Many of those that give you a thumbs up as you drive by know it also, and those that have told me the XK is their dream car are on to it as well. Successor or descendent, the current XK carries on the tradition as well as any previous XK...and I hope lightning strikes once again with the next one!

Bruce

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
The E-Type was a game-changer. When it was introduced, it simply blasted all the opposition by offering a design/cost package that was unbeatable by any other manufacturer.

Even by today's standards, the design is beautifully elegant. It's also still a wonderful drive but not as exciting as it was when I owned one over forty years ago. The electrifying performance when it was new has inevitably become less exceptional by comparison with modern everyday vehicles.

The E-Type owed nothing to predecessor two door Jaguar coupe and convertible models. It was radical. Although the XK8/XKR, XK/XKR and now the F-Type are all great cars, they are descendents of the E-Type with many design cues deliberately aping the original and none is a true 'successor' by being fundamentally new thinking. Mechanically and technically they are all products of their time but don't offer anything that cant also be found in other marques.

Graham
That's very well put and exactly what I was thinking...........

DGL (10-09-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

That's very well put and exactly what I was thinking...........
Have you owned any XK's by chance, and you haven't responded to the question in post 16 to support your statement.

Last edited by Bruce H.; 09-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Which is the true successor to the E-Type?