XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NavTool backup system

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

installed navtool this past weekend for a backup camera, so it's still fresh in my memory

unplug the blue connect wire from navigation

from the navtool plug-in blue back to navigation brain - the other end of the wire plug into the brown connect on the edge of the board.

from the navtool plug-in factory blue back to female white - the other end of the wire plug into the brown connect on the center of the board.

from the main plug connect white wire with black heat shrink to reverse

from top of the harness connect red to accessory power and black to ground.

put the car in reverse, turn off PDC and camera image will appear on the screen

took me one hour to install NavTool

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by jagia
installed navtool this past weekend for a backup camera, so it's still fresh in my memory

So, do you need to select the navigation screen to see this, or will it automatically switch to that display from the home or other displayed screen?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned

yes, you need to be in navigation mode

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

from the navtool plug-in blue back to navigation brain - the other end of the wire plug into the brown connect on the edge of the board.

from the navtool plug-in factory blue back to female white - the other end of the wire plug into the brown connect on the center of the board.

Thank you that will help a lot

Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

you welcome

Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
So, do you need to select the navigation screen to see this, or will it automatically switch to that display from the home or other displayed screen?
Still trying to get around it eh?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you take the jag screen off, is it part of the head unit or is it a seperate screen? the reason I ask is because in the past I had a nissan pathfinder which has a seperate screen to the head unit and to the nav system. I made a harness that sat between the screen and the rest of the system and managed to get it to engage automatically... the video signals to the screens consist (generally) power live and ground, red, green and blue signals and horrizontal and vertical sync. (RGB HV). I was able to work out which was which with a multi meter for the power etc and by systematically disconnecting the wires. h and V were easy as the screen scrolls, the colours were pretty easy too as when only 1 is connected the screen goes that colour, if two are connected you get another colour (blue and green will produce yellow for example) simple stuff really... easier if you get the harness from a scrappie so your not messing with the one in the car but dependant on the screen in the xk...

Old 03-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Still trying to get around it eh?
Yep, nice to know they didn't beat Steve to it (although I guess he could have reverse engineered it!).
So, still waiting on Steve's controller!

Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Nico
When you take the jag screen off, is it part of the head unit or is it a seperate screen? the reason I ask is because in the past I had a nissan pathfinder which has a seperate screen to the head unit and to the nav system. I made a harness that sat between the screen and the rest of the system and managed to get it to engage automatically... the video signals to the screens consist (generally) power live and ground, red, green and blue signals and horrizontal and vertical sync. (RGB HV). I was able to work out which was which with a multi meter for the power etc and by systematically disconnecting the wires. h and V were easy as the screen scrolls, the colours were pretty easy too as when only 1 is connected the screen goes that colour, if two are connected you get another colour (blue and green will produce yellow for example) simple stuff really... easier if you get the harness from a scrappie so your not messing with the one in the car but dependant on the screen in the xk...
It uses the existing screen in the head unit, but the interface is actually made to the navigation unit in the trunk.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

It uses the existing screen in the head unit, but the interface is actually made to the navigation unit in the trunk.
and that interface KJ is referencing is Sony's GVIF technology.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by IanXF
Just had to say I purchased a backup system from NavTool in Aug 2016 waited 7 months after being told it shipped numerous times only to wait and get nothing tried call and using their online chat as well as emails and had no luck
Finally decided enough and tried to get a refund only after 3 attempts to contact them they said can't refund already shipped
waited another week and I get a ups tracking number and delivery of a unit with no name on it a bunch of wires and no instructions on how to put this in a 2008 XK so back to customer service no replies from them in 4 days and the online chat said they will email some. To which I never received checked my smam mail as well and nothing. Another attempt and I get an email that they will email it soon really why not just email it now
so anyone thinking about using NAVTOOL I would suggest you go with another company Seems the have 0 customer service and are impossible to reach by phone

thanks for listening feed up with service today
as of today I have received an email from NavTool with a diagram to install the unit now to put it in and with thanks to all who sent help

Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

as of today I have received an email from NavTool with a diagram to install the unit now to put it in and with thanks to all who sent help
Ian, would you please post them. I'd like to see the differences/ benefits of this unit over the GVIF unit.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 AM

was wondering I have a harness with 7 wires in it do you know how they hook up not showing in the download they sent from NAVTOOL i think its for the camera red,black, gray, orange,white ,yellow and green any pictures would really be great thanks Ian

Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 AM

Ian, would you please post them. I'd like to see the differences/ benefits of this unit over the GVIF unit.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1490715512

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NAVSFG3.0-HDMI.pdf (2.44 MB, 1383 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by IanXF:
jwburch21 (08-12-2017), kj07xk (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Looks to be pretty much the same, a couple of pros and cons on both sides.

NavTool Pros - Fewer wires in the harness (no analog audio inputs could be a con), software configurable (maybe a con, in that you need to download their software)

NavTool Cons - Doesn't come with all the parts and cables (no selector switch), no instructions in the box

GVIF Pros - Came with instructions, dip switch configurable (may not be as flexible), lots of wires in the harness, comes with hardwired input selector switch, and remote control for tweaking

GVIF Cons - Older tech (no HDMI), lots of wires in the harness for analog audio inputs (for each video input)

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
jwburch21 (08-12-2017), Sean W (03-28-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Banned

I have actually had experiences with other boxes before NavTool went on sale, there is a huge difference. NavTool have features that other units don't even have

Old 03-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

I have actually had experiences with other boxes before NavTool went on sale, there is a huge difference. NavTool have features that other units don't even have
Was that with units that would work with our X150 cars?
Did that comparison include the GVIF that several on this forum are currently using?
If so, what features have you found to be of use that were not available elsewhere?

Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned

NavTool was the last unit i installed, It has HD quality HDMI input, in screen menus , 4 camera inputs, USB updates and most important it's made in USA

The following 2 users liked this post by jagia:
jwburch21 (08-12-2017), kj07xk (03-29-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 AM

As of today I have been on the phone with NAVTOOL the unit they sent me never powered up worked with a person on the phone who said connect it directly to the battery and still no lights then they said it was the cables I used so I bought new ones for the download from their site but still no green light so I was told to send email to RMA@navtool .com and wait again for a return of product to them and they will check it out Im hoping this finally gets resolved but Im not confident so far

Old 04-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

As of today I have been on the phone with NAVTOOL the unit they sent me never powered up worked with a person on the phone who said connect it directly to the battery and still no lights then they said it was the cables I used so I bought new ones for the download from their site but still no green light so I was told to send email to RMA@navtool .com and wait again for a return of product to them and they will check it out Im hoping this finally gets resolved but Im not confident so far
I got my NavTool to work perfect right out of the box