Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tyre not monitored

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000
Excuse me, but I'm gonna press you on this. And the only reason I'm doing it is because I want to FULLY understand what I'm talking about when I am talking to my local shop owner.
Where did you get your TPMs from? A tire shop? If so, did they supply them through their sources? How do you know they didn't "clone" your XK's TPM codes? Did you watch them do the procedure?

If you bought them on line and supplied them for the shop work, what brand did you buy? (Dorman's been rumored to have problems)

The reason I am asking all these questions is, I am wondering why this product is in existence if what you all say is true:

https://jet.com/product/detail/d2f4d...wM.dcD3JEjN1aw
Some cars and TPMS require that, ours don't.

The following users liked this post:
Geosnooker2000 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

You can use either the Seimens VDO SE53001 or the VDO SE53004 TPMS units, the SE53004 is a newer model and what I have (others are using the SE53001, also with no issues).
They run about $50 each on Amazon.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

How long (in minutes of driving) did it take for your car to re-learn the new codes?
Last week, while driving my XJ, I was alerted by the TPMS warning of a low right rear tire. I immediately pulled into a shopping center parking lot and saw that the tire was completely flat. Fortunately, the tire wasn't chewed up and the rim was not damaged so I tried using my 12v air pump to inflate that tire, but it wouldn't hold air. I put the spare on and drove to the Discount Tire store 20 minutes away, where they examined the tire and told me that the sidewall damage was not repairable. Because I purchased the Road Hazard insurance when I bought that set of Continental DWS-06 tires, Discount Tire replaced that tire at no charge.

The TPMS warning on my dash stayed on while driving to Discount Tire on the temporary spare.

Discount Tire rebuilt the TPMS sensor and reinstalled the wheel with the new tire on the car. As I requested, they used hand tools to install the OEM 2-piece lug nuts, since their impact wrench could damage and strip them. And I mentioned that the proper torque was 92 ft.-lb. and not 100 per their computer.

When I started the car, as I expected the TPMS warning was still on. It went off in less than 5 minutes after driving only a few blocks and has not returned.

I am not certain, but I suspect that my XJ and XKR use the same TPMS sensors and work the same way.

ralphwg (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Excuse me, but I'm gonna press you on this. And the only reason I'm doing it is because I want to FULLY understand what I'm talking about when I am talking to my local shop owner.
Where did you get your TPMs from? A tire shop? If so, did they supply them through their sources? How do you know they didn't "clone" your XK's TPM codes? Did you watch them do the procedure?

If you bought them on line and supplied them for the shop work, what brand did you buy? (Dorman's been rumored to have problems)

The reason I am asking all these questions is, I am wondering why this product is in existence if what you all say is true:

https://jet.com/product/detail/d2f4d...wM.dcD3JEjN1aw
Do you mean other than Discount Tires happened to have a new TPMS transmitter on-hand, the correct 315 MHz, installed it in about ten minutes, they DON'T have any type of reprogramming equipment OR capability, and PLUS the fact that Jaguar uses four Transmitters and four Antennas, one per wheel, and that they are DESIGNED to operate like this? Nobody at Discount here as ever even SEEN an X150 other than mine. Neither have I, in this entire state. The workers are clueless as to pretty much EVERYTHING.
Jaguars are a Self-Learning System. The TPMS system needs Zero Programming whatsoever. What it DOES need is the correct frequency. In the US (and a large portion of the rest of the world) that is 315 MHz and in Europe the frequency is 433 MHz. Other than that, well, NOTHING other than that.
You can grab anybody else's four TPMS equipped wheels, trade 'em back and forth, drive for ten minutes and both of your TPMS systems will work quite wonderfully. You can do it to your own also... Swap them side-for-side, disregarding Directional tires, and the fault will change sides. Unless, of course, the antenna is at fault.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Do you mean other than Discount Tires happened to have a new TPMS transmitter on-hand, the correct 315 MHz, installed it in about ten minutes, they DON'T have any type of reprogramming equipment OR capability, and PLUS the fact that Jaguar uses four Transmitters and four Antennas, one per wheel, and that they are DESIGNED to operate like this? Nobody at Discount here as ever even SEEN an X150 other than mine. Neither have I, in this entire state. The workers are clueless as to pretty much EVERYTHING.
Jaguars are a Self-Learning System. The TPMS system needs Zero Programming whatsoever. What it DOES need is the correct frequency. In the US (and a large portion of the rest of the world) that is 315 MHz and in Europe the frequency is 433 MHz. Other than that, well, NOTHING other than that.
You can grab anybody else's four TPMS equipped wheels, trade 'em back and forth, drive for ten minutes and both of your TPMS systems will work quite wonderfully. You can do it to your own also... Swap them side-for-side, disregarding Directional tires, and the fault will change sides. Unless, of course, the antenna is at fault.
Okay, Thanks! You, combined with kj07's posts, gives me the confidence I need to talk to my shop guy about it and require a certain procedure.

Last edited by Geosnooker2000; 01-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Siemens VDO transmitters are HIGHLY recommended.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
I had this pop up in the last month. Right front "not monitored". My TPMS sensors are less than 6 months old. Today I pulled fuse F2 on the lower right side of the rear panel. I removed both antennas from the front wheel wells, cleaned the contacts with spray and swapped them to see if the problem followed the antenna. I also removed, unplugged and sprayed the big connector on the left (drivers here in the US) side that connects the TPMS antennas to the harness. Re-installed the F2 fuse and after a 5 mile drive at 50mph everything remains clear.

If this doesn't work I'm going to temporarily swap the front tires and see if the problem follows the TPMS sensors. It's a cheap, easy way to eliminate the obvious.
Thanks flyc2c. I had a "TPMS not monitored" message yesterday. The swap idea was/ is a good one. I pulled my two front antenna, cleaned them, swapped them - no code. If it comes back, it should be on the right side now unless there's a wiring problem. Much appreciated

Old 03-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I put Siemens VDO transmitters in and replaced 2 front antenna picked up on Amazon all lights off since doing this over a month ago before that kept getting fault codes every couple of days