XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadworthy Inspection after almost two years off the road

Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Roadworthy Inspection after almost two years off the road

Hello All,

My S1 XJ6 has been off the road since early November '13 due to head gasket failure that then turned into a snapped head stud (long) at the bottom of the block. Time and money played their part in delaying effective repairs, but today, after I'd fitted an S3 Engine and Transmission (retro fitted S1 Carb setup), the car went in for a Roadworthy Inspection required by law before re-registration.

I wasn't expecting it to pass due to a few bits that I knew weren't right, but it turns out there were a few extra bits I was not aware of. The faults are:
  • RH Rear Brake Light not working - easy fix.
  • 2 x Tyres worn and 3rd getting close - get a complete set.
  • Middle Exhaust Mufflers corroded and blowing - poss weld repair or replace.
  • Exhaust sagging and contacting Rear Brake Calipers - As per above.
  • Oil around Differential - Clean and reinspect.
  • Steering Rack leaking - Clean and check hyd pipe connections.
  • Steering Rack Boots torn - replace.
  • Tie Rod Ball Joints excess play - replace.
  • Oil leak from Oil Pressure Sensor - Remove, clean and refit.
  • 1 x Rear Damper has leaked all if it's fluid - replace (not sure how to handle this one? I think I need to at the very least replace an opposite pair, possibly all four?)
The engine also needs a bit of a tune up, but I knew that too. Not horrific, but more importantly no bodywork issues!

I will ask my Aussie brothers and sisters to give me some advice on where to to get the best deal on replacement parts. I;ve got next week off some plenty of time to get into it.

Woz

Old 09-26-2015, 02:16 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok, most of those are 1/2 hour jobs, so as you probably know, allow a whole day for each and at least 3 cold ones.
The balljoints, boots and leaking steering rack could be classed as one job, so at least one bottle of bourbon and probably 5 days.
Exhaust simple(ish), that will be 2 days and a 6 pack.
The rear shocks, that will need some advise from the others, probably a few mates, the BBQ and a couple of boxes of JD's.
The tyres are for the tyre shop, so just hurting the wallet.
The tuneup, well plugs, leads, bla bla bla. More wallet pain.
Now the most important and often forgotten, is the flowers, wine and chocolates for the lovey other half (if in existance) for all the swearing and flying tools she will have to put up with. If it becomes a really big job, you might even have to cook one night .

(all pretty typical of owning one of these beautiful beasts, so we all know how it will go)

All in all, not too bad. Body itself passed so that is a bonus.
Have fun and keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Hi Woz, Hopefully someone will let you know of good parts suppliers in Sydney for your boots, ball joints etc. But, if you get stuck there are a couple here in Melbourne i.e. Jag Prestige Spares, and JagDaim, both of them carry extensive spares and will ship to you.

All the best,

Old 09-26-2015, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Thats not too bad a list for a roadworthy on a 40 something year old car. Doesnt look like its too far from getting back on the road.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:58 AM
Received 3,801 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
Hi Woz, Hopefully someone will let you know of good parts suppliers in Sydney for your boots, ball joints etc. But, if you get stuck there are a couple here in Melbourne i.e. Jag Prestige Spares, and JagDaim, both of them carry extensive spares and will ship to you.

All the best,
Tony,

Interesting you mention VIC for parts as all I have needed over the last 6 months have come from there or David at everyday xj......

Old 09-26-2015, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. The exhaust might be a bit painful if it can't be welded? The irony is I had the chance to take one from an S3 that was wrecked for the suspension. Didn't have the space to take it at the time.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent

All the best,
Phill at Jag Prestige is good to deal with, only problem I have had is delivery time(up to two weeks) to Brisbane.
Jagdaim deliver next day to Brisbane if parts ordered by early afternoon, and Doug is also good to deal with.
So delivery to Sydney should be easy.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Phill at Jag Prestige is good to deal with, only problem I have had is delivery time(up to two weeks) to Brisbane.
Jagdaim deliver next day to Brisbane if parts ordered by early afternoon, and Doug is also good to deal with.
So delivery to Sydney should be easy.
Yeah, I've used Jagdaim before and both Brian and Doug are good to deal with. Very helpful too. I think I've only used Jag Prestige Spares through eBay.

Bruce at JagWorks in Penrith is a nice guy, but not the quickest to deal with. Jagara in Carringbah are hit and miss, but the closest to me, so worth the effort most of the time.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,929 Likes on 5,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Woznaldo
Thanks for the replies so far. The exhaust might be a bit painful if it can't be welded? The irony is I had the chance to take one from an S3 that was wrecked for the suspension. Didn't have the space to take it at the time.
Woz, if ya KNOW you're gonna need something like that, FIND a place! Park it by the pool if nothing else!
(';')

Old 09-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The ravages of time and distance. But, not all that bad. And, a list to work from.
The plan is a big thing as opposed to just jumping in. Well, except for a pool.

When I traveled on business, I had some spotted locations. Chinese take out, flowers,
fresh strawberries. All wife's delights. Happy wife, happy life. It worked for over 50!!!

My Jaguar is purring and looking good. Out on errands yesterday. Gleamed in the sunshine. Cats like that!!!

Tip:

I like to preselect my tools and keep them handy. Pans do nicely.

Water heater tussle in progress. Tools laid out at the ready along side.
Mostly, two or three line wrenches.

Old tool rectification going well. An ancient brace went into the box.
Fully functional!!!

Carl