XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Supercharger Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Supercharger Upgrade Questions

Hey All,

I'm powdercoating some engine peices so I thought it a good time to install thg the late rmodel M112 I have of a 2004.

Questions

I read somewhere that it is better to use the early model SC inlet and port match it.

True?

Also be sending my TB out to get bored. Have we sourced a replacement TPS? I read a bunch on it and not really sure if there is a true answer to that just yet!

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Damon

Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

ohhh coommonnneeeeeee Noone? And I searched! Teh 5th gen eaton has got to be better than the 4th. I know m90 wise its a huge
improvement

Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

I just dont feel the love here! Anyway I think I will have to start a thread on my XKR Performance upgrades. Seems to me after looking at the Gen V Eaton ill have to port and use my old inlet. Still cant figure out if we have an acceptable TPS replacement on the 4.0 motors Or what things I should be looking into replacing one I have the old blower off.

Just for the record I am swapping in the gen V Eaton, ported TB and Powdercoated IC's-Coolant housing-blower top, 3.5" custom intake and 92mm MAF. Trying to make teh engine look a tad neater as well as perform a bit better.

Also up in the air on what size pulley to use.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Anyone?

Old 10-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

A Troll me thinks ...

Lots of stuff out there on this site and others Mr XxSlowpokexX

Go Read !!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Well I am interested.
After having read Avos and others in their TS supercharger upgrades I was left chomping at the bit for more power on the XKR. Any other option that can be sourced here is of interest.
I must confess no knowledge of what a Gen V Eaton is. I will read up.
In the meantime Slowpoke illustrate us of your progress. Sharing information is the lifeblood of this forum. The friendliest and corteous ive found. Lets keep it that way.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Use your old throttle elbow but you have to machine clearances for the larger bearings on the 4.2 S/C and you can also modify the gasket..... Done it many times

Old 10-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SpeedFerret
A Troll me thinks ...

Lots of stuff out there on this site and others Mr XxSlowpokexX

Go Read !!

Mr Ferret,

Play nice. I had stated that I had searched and came up with little information. Quite honestly this forum has an awfull search engine. Google works better however I barely found any usable information on this topic except to use the old elbow. After taking it apart I can see why.

I had started a modification thread on my 2004 xjr and should really start one here. I am all about modifying and upgrading when having to work to change parts on any of my cars. So far Ive sourced and used a 200 amp alternator on my XKR, redid my XKR headliner w dying the plastic black, modified slightly the MOOG problem solver end links on my xKR and added my two cents where I thought I can help always answering any questions along the way. Far from a troll.

SO ANYWAYS....Figured Id show a few photos. The factory inlet gasket will definitely not work. SO there is tthe Gen V Gasket. From looking at all of my old and new blower and inlet parts It seems if anything I would have to remove material from the bearing retainer portion of the new blower which ive seen done on other applications but Im not to keen on it. Anyone have photos? And then the modification of the gasket. I can perhaps solve a sealing issue there with some silicone as when modifying the gasket the lip seal will have to be cut. Again this is only if I end up grinding teh bearing retainers. Photos would help greatly here.

Attached photos is what we are dealing with. And for those that dont know the GEN v m112 comes on the 4.2 xjr/xkr.

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_0523%5B1%5D.jpg   Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_0524%5B1%5D.jpg   Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_0528%5B1%5D.jpg   Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_0529%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 10-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

I think I have pics of how I done the setup of machining the throttle elbow, I will post them up tomorrow if I find them

The following users liked this post:
XxSlowpokexX (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. If I dont have to reinvent something that would be wonderful. there ia an area of flaking on the rotor pack. I was thinking of having it recoated and rebuilt. Has anyone done a before and after on that? Or even done it at all? Also going to send the TB out to get it bored and change the SC pulley but unsure which I want to go with. Unfortunately I wont have any stock rwhp numbers for this car but plan on dynoing it afterwards.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What's the sense of placing V gen sc when the old one runs ok? It is still Eaton M112 with all its disadvantages. IMHO waste of time and money for 10 or 20 hp.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

The later superchargers have better bearings and coatings on the rotors

I will try and remember those pics tomorrow

Old 10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Krajcok
What's the sense of placing V gen sc when the old one runs ok? It is still Eaton M112 with all its disadvantages. IMHO waste of time and money for 10 or 20 hp.
If it gives me 20rwhp for 300 bucks I won! as oppossed to $$$$$ to upgrade to a twin screw.

I can tell you on my m90 powered v6's upgrading to the later gen m90's makes a significant difference. Same boost at lower blower speeds, more efficient lower ACT. Porting of the later model m90's makes an even greater difference but I been looking at this gen V and I dont see too much porting that can be done. Just a little blending perhaps..Nothing significant so Im leaving it alone except where I need to when mating old style inlet (inlet is different).

The real reason for me doing this is that I am powdercoating my IC's, SC top and installing a smaller blower pulley. I figured I would rebuild my blower as well....So why not.

I am going to rebuild the blower and recoat the rotors just because I hate putting anything back on that isnt exactly proper. That will bring the cost of my $300 investment a bit but all work will be done by me =cheap

I wont be able to trace HP upgrade from just the blower upgrade but overall it should be a nice strong package

Gen V Blower upgrade
10% pulley(looking into upgrading tensioner springs)
Ported TB
92mm MAF
3.5" Intake
Full exhaust (stock manifolds)

My 2004 xjr put out 313rwhp on what I call a dream crusher dyno bone stock. Im sure my lil 4.0 with mods will trump that. I want a twin screw for my xjr:O) That cars a sleeper!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

20HP sounds very optimistic but hey go for it. Dyno before and after will show.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

I thought I had pics but alas if I did I can not find them......... Was not hard to do... I bolted the elbow to an angle plate and counterbored the area on a mill, you do not have to go too deep something like 5mm rings a bell

Name:  SH1a_zps1ff0dd34.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  98.2 KB

Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default recoating SC rotors

Who does the recoating of the rotors?
Any idea of cost or is this a DIY?

XKRacer you keep ruining my day with that EYECANDY!

Old 10-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Very informative thread and interesting performance theory. Keep the info coming....

And yes xkracer, your engine is a freaking piece of art!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I have alot of experience with the ford thunderbird supercoupes which run m90 Eatons on a v6. The coated rotors in combination with the next generation m90 they used on the 94-95 SC's made a signifigant difference over the old uncoated version. Inlet design was changed along with the coatings. The difference was so that they ran a larger SC pulley to reduce boost to keep it the same. Swapping a later GEN m90 to an earlier car produced a difference you could actually feel. Swapping to the earlier pulley even moreso and about 3psi more. Thast 3psi more with the blowers being driven the same.

I honestly do not know how much of a difference the Gen V m112 will make over the Gen IV. However I can tell you on other applications the coated rotors make a difference as does the updated inlet. Im just getting the rotor pack rebuilt because of the miles on it. Its not a do it yourself job as the rotors need to be dissasembled and retimed. Along with the coatings all new seals and bearings are utilized. Basically giving you a new blower. Just make sure to replace rear bearings as well. The snout assymbly you can rebuilt if you hav eaccess to a press. Unfortunately I will not have any before and after dyno numbers but I will keep everyone informed on my progress. May not get put on untill spring.

One thing I can say which some may not agree with...On my Thunderbirds (which keep in mind had a v6 and weighed more then an xkr) had an m90 as stock. The magnuson ported (S port) version of the later model blower was my absolute favorite blower combination (i'd run 19psi). I also had a 1.7 twin screw setup much like what AVOS had done put on in place of my m90. I honestly gained over 100rwhp with it at the cost of low end torque however. The Eaton allthough not as efficient as the twin screw does real well down low which makes it so nice for a heavy car. I'm just hoping for a nice increase from the blower. Nothing crazy. For fun here is a photo of my old tbird setup...No longer has the 1.7 AR its now turbo.

Attached some photos for your veiwing pleasure...

1.7AR kit Installed
Results of 1.7 AR
4.2 liter solid roller turbo motor
Car with turbo motor..850 to the wheels before soem additional mods...Power is regulated only by amount of boost that was made on 24psi

I bet we can squeeze some turbos in place of those hugs catalytics:O)

Oh and anyone looking to get their rotor packs rebuilt and coated speak with Charles Warner of MAgnum Powers. Been dealing with him for over 10 years. Stand up guy in my opinion.

51850 NW Outback Lane
Forest Grove, OR 97116
Toll Free: (855) 797-7679

Phone: (971) 226 -9006
Fax: (503) 296-5367
Email: charles@mpsuperchargers.com

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_0126.jpg   Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_0162.jpg   Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_1087.jpg   Supercharger Upgrade Questions-img_1504.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Nice T-Bird. I used to run a fox body Cougar with a mild 5.0 and hung out with a few MN-12 guys.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

I had an 87 xr7 that I did a 5 speed swap and SC's motor pumping out a little over 400rwhp bck in 1992. I then went full griggs suspension tubular k member and turbo. At the time a little over 700 to the rear wheels. Just sold that car last year..My love for fords actually got me into jaguars. Thsi weekend is the Supercouep shootout in Kansas. there will be a bunch of 10 second v6 powered sc's..Ill be sitting home

Quick Reply: Supercharger Upgrade Questions