XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Failure to start

Hi Jag wizards, got a problem you may be able to help with.
Basically when the jag (2000 XKR vert)feels like it it will not start, turn the key, it passes the accessory position with all the usual lights and controls including AC and radio working, when the key passes into the start position nothing, no attempt to start - nothing. Error messages then scroll across the display - Low brake fluid - No ASC - Gearbox Fault-.
Had the battery checked out and its good, it's only 18mth old, and fully charged. If I connect a battery charger to the battery for 10-15 min then try it will start. There are no error codes and the fault codes disappear when it starts back up.
So far it has only happened at home but I'm getting concerned it may happen away and leave me stranded.

Any advice, thoughts, words of wisdom are welcome.

Brian

Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

There are a few areas where the power mains commonly cause problems on this car.

-Squeeze the battery cable crimps tightly with a pair of vise-grips.

-Check that the bolts for the heavy power connections to the two megafuses in the trunk (behind the spare) have not loosened.

-Go to each fusebox and make sure the power mains connection bolt is clean and tight.

Remember to disconnect the battery for safety whenever putting a wrench on a positive battery connection or you can be burned by an accidental short.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-01-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:37 PM

Thanks WhiteXKR, I have checked, crimped and re tightened the connections at the spare tire junction and the main fuse boxes, also checked the starter motor connections as well. Non seemed to be loose or corroded. Started up fine and purred like a kitten.Time will tell if its successful or not.

Brian

Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I had the same issue. Checked out all the points Steve mentioned and still had the problem intermittently. Battery had 100% charge and seemed OK under load.

More from frustration than facts, I got a new battery. Problem solved.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Before long I can see a battery change being added to the 10k miles Service Schedule along with an oil change for these super sensitive vehicles!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM

Thanks Guys.

I must admit I did suspect the battery, but the fact it was only 18mth old and checked out ok when the vendor performed the check did sway me away from replacement. However based upon the advice I think i'm going to reconsider and replace it anyway. Is there a recommended make I should consider, rather pay a few bucks more for a good one.

Brian

Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Based on several recommendations here on the forum, I opted for the Autozone Duralast platinum AGM. Perfect fit and decent price.

It has a 3-year full replacement warranty and up to 1k CCA.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Every time I had a vehicle simply not turn over when I tried to start it on the every couple weeks occasion, it always, always turned out to be the starter solenoid....

Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Hi Guys
Thought I would give an update.

Purchased a new battery from NAPA ( great reviews), since then the problem has not resurfaced. Fingers crossed its the right solution.

Thanks to all for the advice

Brian

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (09-02-2015)
Old 05-26-2016, 07:44 PM

Hi Guys, thought I would resurrect this thread as I am still having the same issues with the Jag not starting. Thought I had it fixed with the new battery but no, at the end of last season I had to have it towed on a flat bed home from work, only to have it start as I moved from the flatbed to the garage, Had all the grounds and starter checked by a local indie with lots of jaguar and old british car experience, he checked and re tightened all the grounds and starter connections, in my opinion the car seemed more responsive. Then yesterday as I was taking the wife out for drive it would not start again, and the same faults came up " Low brake fluid, ACS fault and gearbox fault", tried turning the ignition key a few times and she finally fired up. This has me stumped, I'm thinking of changing the exciter ring next unless there is another option I should look at.

Any ideas gladly welcomed

B

Old 05-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian1959
Thanks WhiteXKR, I have checked, crimped and re tightened the connections at the spare tire junction and the main fuse boxes, also checked the starter motor connections as well. Non seemed to be loose or corroded. Started up fine and purred like a kitten.Time will tell if its successful or not.

Brian
Hey Brian, when you replace your battery, do yourself & your car a favor and buy a Battery Tender. Afix the pigtail to the battery and place the little main box in the trunk. When you park it for the day, just plug your Tender into an extension cord that you put into the trunk, ok to shut it. It will give you the maximum life from it and keep your operational voltage at the maximum.

They're not expensive...$29.95-39.95 at Walmart.

A great investment! GL,

frank in fl

Last edited by stetson1; 05-28-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Your faults point to the engine management fusebox. This fusebox, is under the cover, near the windshield, on the right side of a US left-hand-drive car, next to the ECU. Check the power feed and the power feed crimp. You may also have an intermittent relay in this fusebox. These are inexpensive, so I suggest replacing it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CbcAAO...WA3/s-l300.jpg

Old 05-30-2016, 03:54 PM

WhiteXKR,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have checked the power feed its nice and tight and solid, swapped over the relay with another one from the other fuse box, I plan to replace them both, do the relays need to be OEM (Jaguar) or can I use a generic over the counter type?

B

Old 05-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I would like to eliminate the possibility of a feed problem to the fuse box. The next time it fails to start take a volt meter and check the feed to that box and when you do that you also need to check the feed to the other box to verify that you are getting the correct reading and that the volt meter is working. See page 17 on the attached link Main Power Feed. If you are getting voltage have someone attempt to start the car as you are checking the voltage and see what takes place.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2001.pdf

In the diagram you will see that the feed to the fuse box splits 3 ways and you may have a problem at that location. Note It is not easy to find. Let us know how you make out on the test.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 PM

Hi Gus
Had the no start issue happen again today, prior to the event I checked out the voltage to the 3 terminals, all where 12.2v, when the no start happened I checked and they were all registering 11.9v. Also the hvac display shows a 'err' code and beeped each time I turned the key. I did a hard reset still no joy, then out of nowhere it cranked and started.
Any thoughts insights etc.

B

Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Did you check the voltage you are getting at the 3 terminals against the voltage at the battery and the fuse at the high power protection module? This would tell us if the battery has an issue or it is in the feed to the fuse boxes. Your 11.9v is a concern.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:07 PM

Hi
Seems I may have narrowed down the issue, the voltage checked out at 12.78v at all the terminals when the battery was recharged but the fault still appeared, then I noticed the shifter illumination not working, after a few more attempts the red light next to the P (park) came on and the engine cranked, a little later no P and no crank and the same 3 faults on the dash. Did some research on the forum and found multiple entries with same issue. Looks like the illumination module needs to be replaced.
Can I use one from an XK8 or XJ8, are they compatible with the XKR, some sites say they are but I wish to be sure and there seem to be a better selection of them than the XKR
Thanks
B

Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Brian,
I'm currently having the exact same issue and I'm also not convinced that it's a battery issue (although there does seem to be some voltage sensitivity). Driving in today, stopped at the gas station and had the same situation when restarting. I sometimes get errors and fault warnings, sometimes it just doesn't crank. Let me know if the illumination module solves your problem, I'm still collecting data on my side.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Brian,
Just looking at the schematics for our cars and I'm convinced that it's not the illumination module. This is a 'listen only' node on the CAN bus and only has connections to CAN and the shifter gate lamps. The lamps not working may be a symptom of other CAN communication issues, but is likely not the cause....Keep me posted on your progress.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 AM

Hi Guys
Can I use an illumination module and /or shifter assembly from an XK8 or XJ8, are they compatible with the XKR, some sites say they are but I wish to be sure and there seem to be a better selection of them than the XKR
Thanks

Quick Reply: Failure to start