XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

REVSKI (and all you other XJS folks)... this is the XK100 Forum... take your FUGLY XJS's (aka AMC Matadors) and troll somewhere else.

I mean, what are you even doing here... jealous XK100 wannabees, I suppose.

We don't come over to your XJS forum and act like idiots... so what are you doing here?

The following 2 users liked this post by blindside:
frankc (06-11-2016), Marc (10-12-2017)
Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

do not be mad that your car is more ford than jaguar hell its a forduar not a jaguar. that xjs is all jaguar and your xk is a ford and will never be a classic well maybe a forduar classic

Old 06-10-2016, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by revski666
do not be mad that your car is more ford than jaguar hell its a forduar not a jaguar. that xjs is all jaguar and your xk is a ford and will never be a classic well maybe a forduar classic
Whatever... I wouldn't be caught dead in an XJS... that's one slow-a** fugly piece of crap.

And what color is the car in your avatar - pink?? Sweeeeet...

Your other car is probably an AMC Pacer or a wood-paneled station wagon

Last edited by blindside; 06-10-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by blindside
Whatever... I wouldn't be caught dead in an XJS... that's one slow-a** fugly piece of crap.

And what color is the car in your avatar - pink?? Nice... sweet ride

Your other car is probably an AMC Pacer or a wood-paneled station wagon
that is not nice do not be mad and calling the xjs names is not cool go sit in your forduar and cry your self to sleep i am going to go sit in my JAGUAR AND SMOKE some green yes sit in my JAGUAR not a forduar:ic on_rally:

Old 06-11-2016, 12:26 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by blindside
REVSKI (and all you other XJS folks)... this is the XK100 Forum... take your FUGLY XJS's (aka AMC Matadors) and troll somewhere else.

I mean, what are you even doing here... jealous XK100 wannabees, I suppose.

We don't come over to your XJS forum and act like idiots... so what are you doing here?
Class act you have here. I like all Jaguars period. Pretty sad that someone on a Jag forum would speak like that but I know the vast majority of XK owners have class so I will mark your comments up to a 8th grade mentality and leave it at that.

Funny thing is I had a AMC Matador I drove in high school and my '95 XJS does not remind me of that car at all-not even slightly. I have followed this thread from the very beginning and have enjoyed the conversation. I did not think I as a XJS owner was acting like an idiot but rather thought the discussion was thought provoking etc.

I also am not a " jealous XK100 wannabee " as you put it. I simply chose a late XJS because I like cars that look older and yet have many of the modern features of a newer car like air bags and refined engine management systems etc.

The reason I felt I could add some substance to this conversation is because when I decided to get a late XJS about 6 to 7 years ago I was in the position that many XK8 owners are in now which is having a wonderful GT Jaguar that was not quite old enough to be seen as a classic but yet not new enough anymore to be considered at the cutting edge of technology and design.

From my perspective we should drive what we are passionate about because life is short and driving a great car just makes the journey that much more enjoyable. Most of us will not live long enough to see a size able return if any on our modern classics but maybe my wife will live long enough after I am gone to realize what great taste I had in cars-LOL!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic-img_5389.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2016, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
Class act you have here. I like all Jaguars period. Pretty sad that someone on a Jag forum would speak like that but I know the vast majority of XK owners have class so I will mark your comments up to a 8th grade mentality and leave it at that.

Funny thing is I had a AMC Matador I drove in high school and my '95 XJS does not remind me of that car at all-not even slightly. I have followed this thread from the very beginning and have enjoyed the conversation. I did not think I as a XJS owner was acting like an idiot but rather thought the discussion was thought provoking etc.

I also am not a " jealous XK100 wannabee " as you put it. I simply chose a late XJS because I like cars that look older and yet have many of the modern features of a newer car like air bags and refined engine management systems etc.

The reason I felt I could add some substance to this conversation is because when I decided to get a late XJS about 6 to 7 years ago I was in the position that many XK8 owners are in now which is having a wonderful GT Jaguar that was not quite old enough to be seen as a classic but yet not new enough anymore to be considered at the cutting edge of technology and design.

From my perspective we should drive what we are passionate about because life is short and driving a great car just makes the journey that much more enjoyable. Most of us will not live long enough to see a size able return if any on our modern classics but maybe my wife will live long enough after I am gone to realize what great taste I had in cars-LOL!!!!!
Very well put.
Maybe l am bipolar or have some other strange ailment as l own both an xjrs and an XKR (along with several xj12's ) Love them both, don't care who owned the company when they were built and don't find either of them ugly, quite the contrary, they are not the same but one is a natural progression of the other.
There are some later model jags l am not passionate about but no way am l going to visit their owners forum and bag them out for the choice they made.

Lucadelta (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

your car is not worth 3 times its price maybe if you were somking crak. the xk are not hard to find hell look on atrader or ebay can find one for 5-9k with less than 90k miles
Your assumptions are as good as your spelling. What I said was try and find one with my spec. In my colour choices and in the same condition as mine. Mileage is not everything. Currently I am doing less than 2000 miles a year in mine. So the average per year is going down all the time.

As for value a car, or anything else, is only worth what you can get for it. I had turned down two offers. One for twice the amount I paid for it and the other was slightly over three times what I paid for it.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Well put. I completely agree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A good friend of mine loves the XJS personally I prefer the X100. We respect each others choices and drive the cars we like.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

your car is not worth 3 times its price maybe if you were somking crak. the xk are not hard to find hell look on atrader or ebay can find one for 5-9k with less than 90k miles
My apology to all of you on this thread for this type of comment from a fellow XJS owner. I had not seen this and I can understand why you would be frustrated with a XJS owner coming on your thread and saying silly and insulting things like that.

I do not know if I am in the minority on this but I am so thankful that Ford bought Jaguar when they did. Jaguar needed cash desperately to improve their product line and bring their cars into the modern age. There is a reason that the XJS was produced for 21 model years and it is not because it was the greatest design ever.

I firmly believe that if Jag had not gotten that infusion of cash when they did I very likely would not have a '95 XJS to take care of and the XK's etc. would never have been produced.

The other day I was sitting in traffic and a black XK8 went pass me. I was reminded at what a gorgeous car the XK8 is. For quite a few years it seemed like you saw them quite often and now not so much. Great designs never go away but sometimes when you see them often you just stop paying attention.

Orthodixie (10-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I do not know if I am in the minority on this but I am so thankful that Ford bought Jaguar when they did.
+1

Revski's trolling conveniently ignores that, during the early years of the XJS' life, Jaguar was owned by British Leyland. To be fair, it was the last Jaguar that had input from Bill Lyons and Malcolm Sayer, which gives it a special place in my heart even if there were no other reasons.

Back to topic. Will the XK8 be a classic in the future? I believe so, and I hope so. It's already a classic in my eyes. Will it become valuable? Frankly, I don't care: I didn't buy one with that in mind. As has oft been said, many of us will be long gone before that day comes.

What we all do share is a (possibly irrational) passion for the cars that make us feel good when we drive them.

Mike

CA Jag (04-20-2021)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

I don't really understand why this forum allows the likes of Revski666 - most of his posts, in whatever sub-forum, are trolling. Other forums I'm on, for other marques, would have kicked him out by now.
I guess we should feel pity for people that have nothing better to do that go online and try and create trouble.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

It is already a classic from where I stand. When I bring my XK8 convertible to work someone always w
ants to go for a ride. I am always asked if ithas a V12. My wife and Igo out for an Icecream last night and 2 people tell me it is their favorite car, and one wants me to lift the hood. A group of 12 year old boys at the corner give me a thumbs up and cool car man at the stop sign. Seems to me that is what is a classic.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:21 AM

My apology to all of you on this thread for this type of comment from a fellow XJS owner. I had not seen this and I can understand why you would be frustrated with a XJS owner coming on your thread and saying silly and insulting things like that.
Yeah, I may have gone a tad overboard with MY insults, but Revski was not the first to come on this thread from the XJS forum and rag on OUR cars (see post #67 from bhamilton comparing the xk100 to a Miata, and my response in post #82). I realize bhamilton and Revski do not represent the normal xjs forum members, but those idiots just pushed me over the edge...

My bad...

Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

With situations like that Chris, I often find it better to simply ignore them. It upsets them more when they realise no one is rising to their bait.

blindside (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

The funny part is that Ford is why I'd own a Jaguar today. These aren't Ford cars, but Ford cash is why Jaguar was able to start building better, more modern cars like the X300, X308 and X100.

Marc (10-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default performance issue?

The xk8 may not be the fastest car out there, but it turns heads because if its beautiful shape. The XKE may not be the fastest car out there, but it turns heads because of its beautiful shape. There are many cars that do just that but they are not the fastest cars on the road. Its about quality and style. The 1974 Alfa Montreal is great but no comparison to the Jaguar V8 but still a great looking and sounding car. I cant go anywhere without a conversation about my xk8 when I park and surely while the car is still classed as "modern" people still want to talk about it. I

s that not future classic?

Old 10-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Within the next 5 years we should have a better analysis

Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Despite considering the XK8/R Coupe to be the most beautiful thing to come out of Coventry since the E, I must admit that I love the look of the late model XJS Convertibles. I'd still buy one if I had the room. And I'm a BIG fan of big straight six engines. They will always be a favorite.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it will

Old 09-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

it is kind of funny the mention of Ford Motor Co. as they created another classic and collectible car. The sixties Mustang was made in very high numbers, yet is considered a very collectible car and an obvious classic. The XK8/XKR do not have the same post war excitement and generational draw along with introducing a new concept in car marketing and personal ownership experience like the Mustang as well as its accessibility.

Where i think that the XK8/XKR could become classic and collectible is that as cars get so utilitarian and appliance like over the next two decades, examples of beauty, form following function within the era when most vehicle mechanicals and electronics are virtually perfected will stand out as unique. It will be almost refreshing to see something perform its function in a way that appeals to the senses in many ways. People will almost see the simplicity as refreshing while recognizing the technical commonalities to mainstream vehicles. Little things like the heavy gauge of the sheet metal and the obvious quality and overbuilt nature will represent a concept that some useful things are not disposable or forced to be such.

Remember that the classics of the sixties and seventies were pretty and often performed well and represented innovation, but were in many cases afflicted by cheap materials and lesser systems. feeling an early Mustang gives the impression of a tin box. Yet they are a refreshing experience through the simplicity.

Once we got into the 90s, cars were just about perfected with some manufacturers really leading the pack. It will be the beautiful specimens of this era which form a subset of collectible automobiles. Especially as quality has started to decline in the 2000s, Mercedes, BMW, Honda ... people will notice when materials were better and more thought was put into making things last, another thing in this car's favor. Yes, some aspects and items were a little lacking, but anyone who has ever seen chrome over pot metal pit in a sixties classic will understand the nature of an era.

Right now everyone is immersed in the whole computer world, features, gadgets, etc. as they are right under our noses. In time people will start to long for simplicity as has happened in many other consumer trends. BTW it is already happening in the car world. Our societies always have return to simplicity movements and mini-movements. there is a whole ground swell of young people re-discovering Japanese cars of the 90s produced before they were born because they are accessible and basic.

When i would take young people out for a spin or let them drive my 67, they described it as organic when compared to the 90s and 2000s cars that they were driving. Expect the same thing to be said about these cars when a younger person experiences them twenty years from now.

and yes, they will still be on the road, at least one that i know of.

The following 3 users liked this post by CorStevens:
DavidYau (09-05-2020), kevh (09-06-2020), ozbot (09-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic