XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

the xjs v12 are going up in price for one that is not f up hell look on ebay or atrader the xjs v12 is a classic hell the car ran from 1975-1996 for one in good shape your looking at 11,000-30,000k so yes they are going up in cash

Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
Its all a question of personal taste's.

I do not really know the XJ's that well. Have the XJ'S tripled in value over the last few years and are very hard to get hold of like the XK's?
Here in the USA you are not seeing a tripling of value in the last few years of either the XJS or the XK8 and XKR. I have not seen a tripling of value in two years on either model anywhere in the world. I have seen some pretty sharp increases in places like England but not a tripling of value in 2 years.

If you got a good deal on your XKR good for you but to act like these cars are going through the ceiling is a bit silly. You might have gotten a good buy on your XKR because the drivers door paint does not match the LT. fender and LT. QTR. panel.

I would argue that used car prices are coming up every year in general based on increases of new car prices and the XJS and XKs are on the rebound overall from being at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

The XKs IMHO is one of the best looking modern Jags made and will surely be a classic in the future. Just consider what depreciation curve the E-type took when it was ten years out of production and it was easily one of the best received Jags of all time.

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 06-05-2016 at 11:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
revski666 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. You can follow the whole history (if you're really bored) over on a Z forum at: 260Z Restoration as a Retirement Project - ZDriver.com

It is a factory color but it doesn't belong to Nissan. It comes from a Lexus and is called Crystal Crimson Shine, code 3S8. It's also called Riviera Red on a Toyota, same paint code. Many thanks to my wonderful wife who picked the color.

A word to the wise on this color. Variances in light sources (sunny day versus cloudy days, noon lighting versus morning versus dusk, inside lights or parking lot lights at night and so on) can really make this color look different. I've seen it look like this bright red to crimson or cardinal to something I'd call root beer, all depending on the time of day and the source lighting. Even the camera and monitor can change your colors.
Well, do whatever floats your boat mi amigos. I painted a '55 F-250 (Ford) with Cadillac (GM) Emberrust Firemist, and a '55 Chevie (2 dr w/munci 4-spd) with American Motors Alamosa Aqua. Now I paint with a spray can .. lotta primer on one-eyed welding skills .. even after grinding. Now I am totally cognizant, that I don't fit the marketing profile for the XK's .. 55 with room for some (golf) clubs in the trunk, they are a blast to drive, and meant to be Driven. Now, I'll be seventy in December, and my story hasn't changed .. I hardly ever take her over Half-speed. A mouse laid a turd under my "S" button .. can't turn the dern thing off. Really ocifer.

On another note, other than being a Nam Vet, I have typically embraced W.C.Fields in his admonition .. regarding "clubs". Stated by many "authorities" .. "I would be disinclined to join any club or organization that would have me." LOL. You guys/gals are Great. Thanks for having me. Well, I just joined mendorailhistory dot org, founded over the hill in Fort Bragg, California. I encourage fellow "Boomers" to support your local "Heritage" organizations .. when lines where Known, in spite of the graft and corruption that may have created them. Indeed, they Did create the USA. Peace to All. Cheers!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 PM

xks have not tripled in value over the last what have you been smoking

Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
If you got a good deal on your XKR good for you but to act like these cars are going through the ceiling is a bit silly. You might have gotten a good buy on your XKR because the drivers door paint does not match the LT. fender and LT. QTR. panel.
LOL - 'noticed that myself. And I feel that side rub strips detract from the beauty of these cars, tho I'm admittedly biased since my model year deleted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc
Have the XJ'S tripled in value over the last few years and are very hard to get hold of like the XK's?

Sorry, but to say that the value has tripled over the last few years violates common sense.

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 06-05-2016 at 10:41 PM.
revski666 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by attaboy
I have typically embraced W.C.Fields in his admonition .. regarding "clubs". Stated by many "authorities" .. "I would be disinclined to join any club or organization that would have me."
You mean Groucho Marx.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 06-05-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts

OK guys ...and girls....I have owned about 50 cars in my lifetime starting with my 66 Mustang 2+2 at the age of 21. All....I mean ALL of the cars I owned, except for maybe a 74 Chevelle 4dr with a 231 Six, are now CLASSICS and worth much more than what I paid for them.....Problem is I'm now 71.

legog (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beats the alternative Excalibur2012. :-) By the way I just noticed your location and we have met, in fact I am driving around a BRG 2000XKR you are familiar with.

Last edited by halveb; 06-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I've also owned over 50 vehicles including the 274th E-Type built -- an OTS -- and a 1966 FHC E-Type, a 62 Lincoln convertible, a 67 Camaro convertible, etc., nearly all of which I managed to sell before they appreciated. Nearly any old car today seems to be considered a classic, even the lowly AMC Pacer. No doubt, our XK8s will appreciate as time goes by, whether deemed a "classic" or not.
Excalibur, I am your age and have survived Vietnam, lived through a career in Human Resources in corporate America, and owned lots of fun cars, boats and motorcycles. If I had been able keep them all, I could be quite wealthy. But I hope you, like me, have enjoyed the ride!
I plan to have my 99 XK8 to be part of my estate: let my heirs deal with her.

Last edited by jimmiejag; 06-08-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 AM

Halveb, great to see you on here and I know your enjoying the R. I'm where jimmiejag is. I thought the XKR was going to be my last, but needed something I could putz with in the garage. Now the owner of a 79 MGB that thankfully someone else put a lot of money in retroed back to the chrome days and very..VERY British. Still thankfully has all the traditional faults and keeps my hands & head busy without costing a fortune. May be my last, may not. Time will tell. I keep telling young people, "The joy is in the wanting, not the having".

Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

At a party about 20 years ago my Father was showing his photo album that showed all the different cars he had owned over his lifetime. Approximately 50 sports cars from various makes.

One fellow remarked "If you kept all those cars you would be rich!"
My father's reply "Had I been rich, I would have kept all those cars!"

I'm not sure if that was an original statement but I still remember it.

XK for life (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

My dear old dad gave me some sage advice when I started looking for my first car. I quote "Son you can have a car or money but not both", wise words and very true.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

So my guess is in America over the long haul these cars will go up in value but probably at a rate slower than inflation for the next 30+ years.

The biggest problem is they are too modern to be considered a real classic and not powerful enough to compete performance wise with other "modern" cars which are only a few years newer. Comparable cars from the late 2000s and early 2010s are substantially more powerful and as the prices on these continue to drop they will keep the prices on early 2000 XK8/Rs from rising substantially in my opinion.

revski666 (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
So my guess is in America over the long haul these cars will go up in value but probably at a rate slower than inflation for the next 30+ years.

The biggest problem is they are too modern to be considered a real classic and not powerful enough to compete performance wise with other "modern" cars which are only a few years newer. Comparable cars from the late 2000s and early 2010s are substantially more powerful and as the prices on these continue to drop they will keep the prices on early 2000 XK8/Rs from rising substantially in my opinion.
I am curious why you think power output has so much bearing on the value of these or any other car as they age. There has always been more powerful cars around than Jags.
Do you think it is just a USA thing linking back to "muscle cars"?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

It may just be me and the way I look at things.

What is a classic? Not a new car, but many call theirs "future" classics.

To me a classic is this.

1. Not old enough to be vintage yet (100 years old) or new.
2. To be well sought after and generally thought of as a beautiful looking car. Though on this point it is personal preference.
3. Because of item 2 they are rising in value.
4. Getting harder and harder to get the most sought after versions of that model of car. E.G Power, Style, Colour.
5. Mileage, although older cars will obviously, in the main, have higher mileage anyway.
6. Condition. A heap of rusting junk should never be classed as classic.
7. Originality. Has to be largely unmodified. No bright orange paint or an ironing board for a rear spoiler etc.

Remember the above is only my point of view others may not agree with all of it.

I feel mine can fulfill the above.

1. Its 2003.
2. I have had people wanting to buy my car on just seeing it, offered 3x what I paid for it. Also been lucky enough to have people tell me what a beautiful looking car it is. Although I dont know if their guide dog agreed. (Joke)
3. Yep def going up in value.
4. Tried hard but very difficult to find a 4.2 supercharged XKR Convertible with Ivory interior. Take a look on Auto Trader etc for that combination.
5. Mine is not low mileage. 123,000. Most of that done before I got it. However every part I though has/could/would wear out due to mileage has been replaced.
6. Rustproofed. Polished and cleaned to as near to factory condition I can get it.
7. Same colour etc. Resisted urges to replace front grills. Radios etc.

Last edited by frankc; 06-10-2016 at 05:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by frankc:
Jag Pilot (06-10-2016), SeismicGuy (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Default Right on the mark!

Originally Posted by Fulton
At a party about 20 years ago my Father was showing his photo album that showed all the different cars he had owned over his lifetime. Approximately 50 sports cars from various makes.

One fellow remarked "If you kept all those cars you would be rich!"
My father's reply "Had I been rich, I would have kept all those cars!"

I'm not sure if that was an original statement but I still remember it.
On top of the 50 I've owned my dad had a Dusenberg, an Auburn and a 4 Cyl Henderson in his youth. After I was born he had a Pontiac, a Hudson & a 49 Chevy.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

With cars I don't think that any vehicle bought in one's car buying/driving lifetime will be a valuable classic during that lifetime. Back in the 1970s/1980s I had a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda and a 1970 Roadrunner that were practically given away when I sold them. These days one of those in decent condition is considered a desirable collectible--who would have predicted that?

On the other hand there are cars that you can predict will eventually be considered classic and collectible at some time in the future, and the XK8/XKR definitely falls into that category IMHO.

Doug

Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Really, I'm just happy I'm not taking a bath on resale like original owners. I paid $75k less than the first owner. I basically spend about $750 to $1k a year on parts and upgrades, and let's say it's depreciated $500 per year.

I paid $10,600 in January 2011 for my 00 XKR. I've put about $5k into it total since I just had a full paint job done (insurance paid for most since an idiot...). It's got 96k miles. I think I could realistically definitely get $8k for it. Probably a little more since the paint job and comprehensive service history and upgrades (upgrades meaning tensioners, hoses, intercooler pump, etc).

I've basically "spent" $1500 a year to own a supercharged V8 GT car. Come on, that's cheap. Basically $.25 a mile (almost 30k). It's not money made, but go lease a Ford Fiesta and your cost per mile will likely be higher.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,302 Likes on 2,824 Posts

Agreed, cost of ownership is what I watch as our fleet ages. I have proprietary algorithms established for the XK8, the S-Type, and the Outback which I track on a monthly basis. When my algorithm changes from "green" to "red" on any specific vehicle, that essentially means it is costing us more to keep than the benefit it is providing to us is worth. All three of the above vehicles remain safely in the green zone for the time being....

I do not bother to track my Ram because it is so old and valueless that it costs me less than $200 per year in insurance, property taxes, and registration. And it is still in such good shape at only 68,000 miles that I typically spend no more than $25 per year on its maintenance. Keeping it is a no-brainer just for the instances when I need a truck to haul lumber, dirt, mulch, bricks, plants, lawn equipment, etc. I average 1,500 miles a year now on my Ram....

Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 PM

your car is not worth 3 times its price maybe if you were somking crak. the xk are not hard to find hell look on atrader or ebay can find one for 5-9k with less than 90k miles

Quick Reply: Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic