Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2005 xj8 and acm

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 xj8 and acm

Sorry, didn't see this forum earlier - perhaps would have been the best place to post my question. I have it posted in the xj8 forum, and also the general tech forum. (Admin, feel free to keep either.)

Only recently got a 2005 xj8. The car has stock radio, no cd changer, no nav, no touch screen. Tested iPod/acm in another 2005 xj8, but with touch screen where it worked. Installed acm in my car -> cannot control iPod other than track change! iPod plays only if you connect iPod to acm when playing. This is a 5th generation iPod. ACM manual reports that the acm treats playlists as discs and one should be able to change playlists by key pad 1-4, and should be able to go to menu as disk 6. Once in disk 6, pressing ff for more than 2 secs selects the menu item. My acm does not do any of that. Dealer is getting me a new acm. According to manual, connecting iPod should show Jaguar logo on iPod. On my setup this happens only when the iPod is playing. If, the iPod is asleep, connecting the iPod flashes"ok to disconnect" and the iPod main menu continuously. And cannot play iPod then. Interestingly, trieda 3G iPod with this same setup. Granted that iPod was not asleep when I connected, but I was able to control the iPod as advertised. Am thinkingmy acm needs a firmware upgrade. Does that sound plausible? Or, do I need a new acm? Should I try to restore my iPod to original settings and test - the current setting worked in a different car, so I skeptical about my iPod being bad. Thoughts? I would really like to get the acm working. I think the fm modulation style of iPodding is unsafe!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 xj8 and acm

EMBW, I do not have a CD changer in the car. My dealer did install the acm, but, like I had said before, it was not working. After a lot of trial and error, my iPod now works in my car. What happened to make it work, you ask. Well, my dealer had checked with Jaguar, and they mentioned my symptoms seemed like a bad connection between the iPod and the dock connector. I am not so sure about that though. The one thing that had changed between the times it wouldn't play, and the time it played, was that the car (and thus the acm) were off for the full night, and the iPod was also off. I connected the iPod one morning, turned on the car, and voila'. It works. Since then, I have been able to play the iPod fine.

I can't help you with the install - I am chicked to even pull out the center console lining. All I know is that you do not need the changer. But you knew that already. Hopefully someone will give you directions on how to install the acm. Good luck.