Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Adding 4 channel amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding 4 channel amplifier

1998 Jaguar XJ8 (stock system, not premium speakers).

I was hoping someone with audio experience could assist me with an audio install I am thinking of doing.

What I would like to do is install a 4 channel amplifier to the stock head unit. I am thinking of running two speakers lines from the trunk (where the amp and 4 channel line converter will be) to each of the existing speaker locations. One speaker line will be for the running the new component speakers to amplifier.

What I am wondering is can I take that second speaker line that runs form the trunk (off the line converter) and hook that up to the existing 6.5" driver speaker cable (note: I will not be using the old drivers rather use the old driver speaker cable as a source of signal to the new speakers). To make things easier I plan on using this wiring harness so I don't have to cut any wires.
Speaker Harnesses Speaker adapter plugs for select 1989-up Jaguar, Porsche, Saturn, VW, and Volvo at Crutchfield.com
If I understand correctly the only crossover in the stock system is located on the tweeter. I know most people say to wire right off the back of the head unit, but would rather go directly off the old speaker lines (when I say speaker lines I mean the 6.5" driver lines directly to the line converter

Sorry if this sound confusing as i was unable to upload a image of what I am thinking of doing).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to use MB quart components for the front (QSD 216) and rear (PVI 216) on the upgrade.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I am moving your thread off to the Audio Forums since this about upgrade and you need an expert help . Ph12volt is your man , he's got know how