Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy4eva
Argh... no stock...

They received two pre-order items (which took two months, the order was in November), and shipping it out today. Maybe you (George) get one of them. I changed my order to two single DIN one (99-9500). The lady told me that they can ship it out today. I hope I can simply mount it with original side brakets in Jag. I should remove the headunit and see if I can mount it easily without any modification.
Actually yes, one of them is mine. I got the shipment notification last night. I MAY if phd12v manages to get his hands on one I told him to get for me this weekend at CES in Vegas be able to hook u up with one quickly.

It's not going to mount straight up to the side brackets. If you're going to try to get a double din in. 99-9500 I THINK is the grey kit. I have one at home, and I have pics of what the radio looks like. And what the center stack looks like out of my x-type (s-type is almost the same) but i don't have them with me on my work laptop.

You're going to have to do a few things here:

1) fabricate a mount to attach the radio to the original jag brackets in the proper position.
(the 99-9500 kit will just serve to close the hole, it will not provide ANY structural support for a double din radio). This isnt as bad as it seems, just going to take a lot of careful measuring / fiddling.

2) You're going to need an ABS plastic double din trim ring, I can measure the closest one for you (I have a couple plus the 99-9500 kit), I would glue that into place into the 99-9500. It will make more sense when I take pics. Easily available from ebay...

3) You're going to have to paint the finished fascia black, if you want it to match in the S-type.

I hope this makes sense.

George

Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm checking with Pioneer if ADT-VA133 would work with U310BT.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ents/ADT-VA133

If it does, it will provide the support and trim for it. I hope it does.
Thanks for the information!!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

they are shipping as we speak....i was just over there checking them out and the texture looks right and will definitely be a good match. As per Metra they have shipped all orders

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Oh... should I order 99-9501b again? Argh....

Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Hey you think you still think you could bring a couple back from CES? Let me know...

Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Hey you think you still think you could bring a couple back from CES? Let me know...
im trying, dont know if they will let me steal the 2 they have here.....knowingly....lol

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
im trying, dont know if they will let me steal the 2 they have here.....knowingly....lol
I hope they do...

I checked with Metra and this is what I got...
Andrew,
This is a new kit neither place has it in stock yet, you might want to call installer.com and have them order it for you..
or try sonicelrctronix.com they might order it for you also.

Thanks,
Chad

Chad Bunfill
Metra Electronics

Andrew,

We have plenty of these in stock, try amazon.com, we regularly ship to them all the time. Or a local shop we can get you one in the area
if we now where about you are.

Thanks,
Chad
I hope you can get it faster then ordering it from Installer.com.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Well I actually got the one I ordered from Eddie Runner (Installer.com) Exactly 1 month and 3 days after I ordered. I guess mine was one of the pre-order ones, which shipped out with the first batch.

My initial impressions of the kit. Fit and finish seem to be fine, and it will match the dash better than any nexxia kit will. The brackets that hold the radio to the side of the kit seemed a bit flimsy in their attachment to the sides of the kit, but once the radio is in and it's all bolted together it seems tight. The trim ring is the slightest bit too big for the pioneer head unit, and it left a 1/16" gap between the ring and the headunit. I'm sure this will disappear once the radio is in the dash and there is no light source behind it. Overall I'm very pleased.. I'd give the kit an initial 8/10.

I took a couple (crappy) pics with my blackberry of the kit with the Avic D3 in it. That's as far as I have gotten so far because of the 20 or so degree temperatures in my garage this weekend. It's supposed to warm up a bit later this week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to put it all together fire up the camera and give an impression of what it really looks like in practice.

Oh and Jason, Do you have any idea if there is a VSS signal in our stock wiring harness. I am of the impression that there is because of the fact that I think the factory headunit uses some sort speed sensitive volume, but do you happen to know if it is directly compatible with the pioneer avic line? I have to check the wiring diagrams at home for further info.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units-img00004-20100110-1444.jpg   Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units-img00005-20100110-1444.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 AM

It looks great George.
I guess I have to put off the installation for at least a week off. I will order the kit and I guess I have to sell off the other 2x single din kit off.

btw, Jason did you have any luck getting your hands on one or two 99-9501B kit(s)?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy4eva
It looks great George.
I guess I have to put off the installation for at least a week off. I will order the kit and I guess I have to sell off the other 2x single din kit off.

btw, Jason did you have any luck getting your hands on one or two 99-9501B kit(s)?
actually, i went over to the Metra booth and talked to my buddies who work there, and they wouldnt let me take it. I even offered them the cash for both at full retail. They said i can order it directly and they would expedite it to me. I logged into the forum and showed them the interest in it, and they told me to relax there are plenty of them to go around. Retail price i was shown was around 20 dollars. Honestly that is a good price for the fit and finish of the kit.

The pioneers are usually slightly smaller than some other units, hence the tiny gap, remember that some of the units are mororized and need that gap for the face to move around.

I played with both the pioneer units and the kenwood units, and honestly i think i liked the kenwood much better. Easier to use and larger icons for my fat fingers

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Okay, I ordered one (again) from Installer.com. I hope they can ship it faster this time around. Can't wait to install new HU on my (wife's) Jag.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Default Bluetooth Mic location?

So, where are you guys planning to locate the BT Mic? Where would be the best location?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

i have the alpine mic (ex-10) mounted directly to the left of the console on the roof aimed at my face. Seems to work well in that location for me. And the wire run was realllllly easy

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM

I'm planning to place it the center console above climate control. There is opening (I'm guessing factory mic location). This would be simplier to wire. If the roof console location is better, I would go with that route (hope that the wire is long enough).

Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phd12volt
i have the alpine mic (ex-10) mounted directly to the left of the console on the roof aimed at my face. Seems to work well in that location for me. And the wire run was realllllly easy
Jason where are you talking about - right near the ignition lock? Or somewhere else.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

to the left of the mirror

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units-img00104.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Any news on dash kit?
I ordered it but installer.com hasn't got it yet. Anybody got theirs? Any post/during installation photos?

Old 01-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed installer.com about the delay (I ordered mine on the 6th, and the order tracker just says 'processing'):
This is a brand new kit, it has just been released. I have them ordered and they are tickeling in. I will email you when the order ships.DwayneHelp Deskwww.installer.com713 626 7627
In the meantime, androulakis - have you got any pics of the dash kit installed in the car yet?As for the mic placement - I put my replacement kenwood Mic in the same location as the factory BT mic was - next to the overhead console. The mounting slipped nicely behind the headliner, and it sits snug against the plastic of the console. No problem with sound pick up.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM

I got this email back from Metra.

Andrew,
I do not know how long it will take them to get them, we have over 80 in stock.. I do not handle their account nor
am I sure here who to ask. But if they have the orders we are shipping everyday .. Should not be to long..

Thanks,
Chad

Chad Bunfill
Metra Electronics
Western Regional Sales - AZ,CO,IA,KS,MO,NE,NM,SD,UT

I really hope I can get my hands on it before Feb. We have ban on handheld devices in the car (cell, portable gps, pda & etc) starting Feb.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Yes!!! I got an email from Installer.com that item has been shipped!!!
But, when will I get it!? I still haven't received the previous order that was shipped on Jan 6th.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units