Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Alpine Setup Mode for MY2004 XKR Premium OEM HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alpine Setup Mode for MY2004 XKR Premium OEM HU

I think the part is AJ2050W, but not sure. Regardless, just a quick note to the group to say a little button pushing on these Alpine Head Units can set some defaults for you.

I was reading the manual to try and find the setup mode. (I'm trying in vain to find an "AUX-ON" setting to upgrade some audio components. Expecting it would be hopeless. It was.) Well, I found the Setup Mode, and with a few button pushes, I've got the list of settings.

Enter Setup Mode: Push the Tape Eject and AM/FM buttons simultaneously.
End Setup Mode without saving: wait 15sec and it goes back to normal
End Setup Mode after making changes and SAVE them: Push Tape/AM/FM again.

Once you are in Setup Mode, hit the number button once to find out current setting, twice to toggle/list. Remember, even if you change it, you need to hit Tape Ej/AM/FM to commit to memory.

1- EURO - RDS / NO RDS
2- TAPE - ON / OFF
3- AER CLN - ON /OFF
4- TEL FUNC - ON / OFF
5- TAPE EJE - ON / OFF
6- FM VOL - HIGH / LOW
7- AF - ON / OFF
8- nothing. Probably something really cool inhibited by Jag (maybe my AUX On feature!! SOB)
9- FADE - ENABLE / DISABLE
0- toggles between EUROPE, U.S, AUST, JAPAN

In addition, since it seemed there were hidden button combos, I started hitting random ones, assuming the Tape Eject and/or Mode would probably factor in. This, btw, is NOT a good idea. I quickly learned they DO things. But I have no idea what, and no idea how to undo it. So enter at your own risk. These button combos are done in regular radio mode, not setup. I'm guessing Alpine would know what they are.

Eject + 1 = some sound change. Since the dolby logo is on this button, it might be turning Dolby on/off??
Eject + 8 = sound went way down and seemed like only from front speakers. Not sure how I got it back. Hitting some other Eject + N probably.
Eject + 9 = Displays SN:NNNNNNNNN on the screen (those Ns are actual numbers on mine- I assume the Serial Number)

This one really confused me: Eject + 1 + slight pause + 1: TA = 1 through 5. No idea what this is. I assume phone, since TA is the phone button. But sound level, phone type?? Don't have phone, don't know.

Anyway, thought someone might find this interesting. And post back if you have any more codes, or links to them, or what not. Thanks!

~Chris

Old 08-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

AJ2050W is the model of the radio unit I just removed from my 2003 XKR. It doesn't say who made it, but there are Alpine logos on the door tweeter spots. I would be surprised if Alpine made this head unit as even for the period, it is nothing like any of their typical products. More like an old overpriced Blaupunkt, but since the unit was made in Japan, that is unlikely also.

Interestingly enough, though there are two tweeters on the dash, the door tweeter locations are just empty spaces. I'm guessing this car did not have the premium sound system as a factory option, but still wondering why they had logos covering non-existent tweeters.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I would guess that the head unit is common between "regular" and "premium" sound and it is the amp and speakers that change.

I recently updated the speakers in the door and dash and all of them were labeled with an alpine logo. I also believe that the standard system did not have the sub in the rear of the coupe, just a blanking plate.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

What's odd is the 1997 XK8 had no tweeters or subs at all, but the 2003 XKR has dashboard tweeters and a sub. So, not sure if it is the premium system or not. I thought only the premium systems had the extra speaker setup, but that might have varied over the years.

Last edited by BurgXK8; 09-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for your efforts and the info, these setup-keys worked in my XKR too. But the ONE REALLY interesting thing - activating an Aux-Input, that exists IIRC on some Alpine, is missing...

In my XKR My2004 I have also the AJ2050 Unit and it is, at least OEM, from Alpine. Since June I'm fiddling with decoding/adapting of the Alpine Ai-Net Bus-Protocol the built-in devices (HU, Navi, Amp) use. The curious aspect is the change of the unit-ID when you compare Std.-Alpine to the Jaguar-Devices; e.g. my HU has the ID (hex) "D0", while Alpine-HU uses "7F". These ID's have to be seen like 'adresses', and so a Jaguar-Alpine-Device will not work together with a Std.-Alpine-Device - just because of the 'software'. So no easy throw-in of an sound-processor or something like that.

cheers wolfgang