Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

A few 04 Alpine stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default A few 04 Alpine stereo questions

Hi guys. I have an 04 with the alpine systema and navigation. I have a few questions that maybe someone can chime in on...

1. My radio reception sucks. I get most of the closer stations, but I don't get a few stations that I used to get on my 02. Is this due to me having the xm radio r/f adapter installed.

2. I don't get am radio. Again is this due to the x/m?

3. The select button on the steering wheel changes from FM to AM. Obviously this is totally useless since the AM doesn't work. On my 02 it would scroll through the presets. Is there a way to change this back?

4. MP3's - are any of the changers mp3 capable with the stock system? Can I add on a newer changer to my car to have mp3 capability out of the stock changer?

5. Is the in dash slot mp3 capable?

I think that about does it for now. I like the setup, but I'll be changing several things in no time including all the speakers. They just don't sound right. Maybe I need to play with the settings a little more...

Old 07-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

you have to turn off the xm unit to recieve any stations, then again you technically arent that far from me, if you need help im usually around

Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 PM

The weird thing is that even when the xm is powered off, the reception isn't that great. I'll double and triple check though. Where are you located? I'm by the Irvine Spectrum in OC.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. I have an 04 with the alpine systema and navigation. I have a few questions that maybe someone can chime in on...

1. My radio reception sucks. I get most of the closer stations, but I don't get a few stations that I used to get on my 02. Is this due to me having the xm radio r/f adapter installed.

2. I don't get am radio. Again is this due to the x/m?

3. The select button on the steering wheel changes from FM to AM. Obviously this is totally useless since the AM doesn't work. On my 02 it would scroll through the presets. Is there a way to change this back?

4. MP3's - are any of the changers mp3 capable with the stock system? Can I add on a newer changer to my car to have mp3 capability out of the stock changer?

5. Is the in dash slot mp3 capable?

I think that about does it for now. I like the setup, but I'll be changing several things in no time including all the speakers. They just don't sound right. Maybe I need to play with the settings a little more...
1. Has nothing to do with XM, My 04 the AM either works or doesn't so it it something to do with the antenna by I can figure out what. I've had the radio out, checked all my grounds, unplugged and replugged in the antenna, still crappy. FM is no screaming hell either.

2. see answer 1.

3. on mine I have on the left the volume rotator, next to that is the station selector, below that is the talk / mute button and beside that is the source button that scrolls through AM, FM, CD, Changer in that order.

4. No.

5. No.

The answer is to do a search here for what people have done to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one. Or get the ACM (audio connectivity Module) which gives you USB and Aux and plugs in between you head unit in the CD changer circuit.

Costs anywhere between 300-500.00. That's probably the route I'll go, you can plug in either an iPod or an MP3 player into it, my preference is the usb flash drive, and get a 4GB or 8GB unit and fill it with MP3s.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
The weird thing is that even when the xm is powered off, the reception isn't that great. I'll double and triple check though. Where are you located? I'm by the Irvine Spectrum in OC.
torrance during the day, corona at night. i run the 91 along with the other half of southern california :slapshead:

Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM

sidewalkman, that's what mine does when you hit the selection button (question 3). I wish it scrolled through the radio stations instead...

Jason, that commute sucks. Ouch. I work off the 55 and the 5 so if you're ever in the area and want to check out the car, I'll be around. Do you ever do any audio installs as side jobs? I might be interested at some point but I'm broke as hell right now after all of these repairs!