XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar Sound System For Garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Jaguar Sound System For Garage

I came across most of the parts and put together a stereo system for my garage using all X308 components. Before I knew it I had Mids and Tweets on all 4 corners of my garage going through the trunk mounted Alpine Amp. I even used an original harness from a 2001 to connect the Stereo and Amp.

Well after getting that working and having all the wiring done for all those speakers it was easy to do the same for the pre 2001 Harmon Kardon system. I've really learned a lot about the X308 stereo systems along the way so if anyone has any question I can probably answer them.

With a Jaguar head unit right on my work bench it was then time to start on the new sound system for my 2001 XJ8. I chose a Pioneer AVH-X7700BT. My goal is to install a system without having to cut any wires AT ALL in the car and for everything to work. So on my workbench I even wired up the stereo wheel controls. I have built an wiring adapter harness for a 2001-2003 Jag to the Pioneer. Steering wheel controls work and so does the display dimmer and override.

Now I'm working on the best way to control the power antenna. I don't know why a high end stereo like this doesn't have a separate control wire but oh well....it doesn't. So I plan to wire a control that keeps the antenna down but I can raise it if I need to.

I will post my progress.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2001 White XJ8:
Don B (09-14-2015), greenshadow (09-23-2015), Johnny_B (06-19-2016)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I'm in for the info. I would like to do a Jag system for the garage with the cd cartridge.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default premium mode. Please help!

Originally Posted by 2001 White XJ8
I came across most of the parts and put together a stereo system for my garage using all X308 components. Before I knew it I had Mids and Tweets on all 4 corners of my garage going through the trunk mounted Alpine Amp. I even used an original harness from a 2001 to connect the Stereo and Amp.

Well after getting that working and having all the wiring done for all those speakers it was easy to do the same for the pre 2001 Harmon Kardon system. I've really learned a lot about the X308 stereo systems along the way so if anyone has any question I can probably answer them.

With a Jaguar head unit right on my work bench it was then time to start on the new sound system for my 2001 XJ8. I chose a Pioneer AVH-X7700BT. My goal is to install a system without having to cut any wires AT ALL in the car and for everything to work. So on my workbench I even wired up the stereo wheel controls. I have built an wiring adapter harness for a 2001-2003 Jag to the Pioneer. Steering wheel controls work and so does the display dimmer and override.

Now I'm working on the best way to control the power antenna. I don't know why a high end stereo like this doesn't have a separate control wire but oh well....it doesn't. So I plan to wire a control that keeps the antenna down but I can raise it if I need to.

I will post my progress.
I bought an XJ8L with Premium sound. The sub is blown, and I plan on rebuilding it. The real problem is that the head unit seems not to be in premium mode. I have to turn the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up. There is no sub level that can be changed. From what I have been able to find this means the head unit is in standard mode. Since you have the unit out can you tell me is there a button on the back side to select premium Vs normal?
Thanks for posting!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter2
I bought an XJ8L with Premium sound. The sub is blown, and I plan on rebuilding it. The real problem is that the head unit seems not to be in premium mode. I have to turn the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up. There is no sub level that can be changed. From what I have been able to find this means the head unit is in standard mode. Since you have the unit out can you tell me is there a button on the back side to select premium Vs normal?
Thanks for posting!
Calling it a "sub" is reaching, it's actually just a 6x9 on the rear shelf.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Walter2
Thanks for posting!
Yes, there is a switch. *It is a little slide switch. *When you find the switch....if it is already in premium mode....disconnect power to unit by unplugging it and slide it to STD and then back to Premium. *Do it hard. *I've seen them hard to switch before and it seems like it won't switch until you remove Battery power and reconnect. *

Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 PM

It's a dual cone sub. *I have 3 refurbished ones. *You are not going to get a whole lot of base out of it but in good condition gives better base than a standard system without the amp and 6x9.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No switch!

Originally Posted by 2001 White XJ8
Yes, there is a switch. *It is a little slide switch. *When you find the switch....if it is already in premium mode....disconnect power to unit by unplugging it and slide it to STD and then back to Premium. *Do it hard. *I've seen them hard to switch before and it seems like it won't switch until you remove Battery power and reconnect. *
I finally got around to pulling the head unit and the is no switch on the back. I have a 1998 with HK premium sound. Amy ideas what might be going on would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

I've got a 99 with HK and have the same thing, no sub control, only bass and treble levels. Maybe it's automatic, since the sub is disconnected? I plan on putting in a tang band... eventually... but it'll be nice to know if there's more that needs done.

I tested one of the sub outputs with a random driver I had sitting around and it played fairly quietly (may just be different sensitivity of that driver) so it seems to at least be kind of working.

edit: I pulled the head unit a while back but didn't think to look for a switch. Maybe I'll pull it when i do my j gate backlight.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm glad that this thread was revived.. Using a Jaguars sound system in your garage is pretty sweet

Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

About ten years ago I installed one of these FM modulators. It was a little set. Essentially a FM transmitter. Plug the arial into it and out back into the radio. Find a suitable 12v supply and you’re in business. I plug in my iPod and or my iPhone. As you experienced, sound is actually pretty good. Also, song names, artist names etc show up in the radio display

Jeroen

Old 02-20-2021, 04:40 PM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeroen
About ten years ago I installed one of these FM modulators. It was a little set. Essentially a FM transmitter. Plug the arial into it and out back into the radio. Find a suitable 12v supply and you’re in business. I plug in my iPod and or my iPhone. As you experienced, sound is actually pretty good. Also, song names, artist names etc show up in the radio display

Jeroen
Do you have any photos of that set up?

Old 02-20-2021, 11:51 PM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chris-jag
Do you have any photos of that set up?
sorry, can’t help you. It was more than 10 years ago. But it is still working perfectly!
Very simple. It’s about the size of a package of cigarette. You plug it between the arial and the radio and you need to get a 12VDC power to it. That’s all. It just sits all behind the ski slopen into which the radio is mounted.

This particular one has been discontinued quite some time ago, but google and you will still find similar units that will do the same job.

good luck
jeroen

The following users liked this post:
chris-jag (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 05:02 PM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Jeroen, thank you - next stop ebay :-)