Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Sound System to DoubleDIN Query/Summary

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts
Default Premium Sound System to DoubleDIN Query/Summary

In this thread, Please keep replies and comments to only the topic of "premium Sound" to "Double DIN Infotainment" conversion.
There are already plenty of threads about upgrading from "standard to Premium", "Standard to aftermarket Double DIN" and "Standard/Premium to Navigation touchscreen upgrades"

I've spend a lot of last night and this morning searching and reading through all the X-type "In-car Entertainment" threads.
I don't see a complete thread about how to convert the "Premium Sound" system with 9-10 speakers to a aftermarket "Double Din infotainment" system. Comments here and there and statements that it has been done, but not a complete summary.

I am in the planning process to put a DoubleDIN infotainment unit in my new-to-me 2005 Estate.
Below is a summary and key points what I believe the project entails.

1. The premium sound system has a separate amp in the trunk area that is connected to the radio/CD/Cassette head unit in the dash. The two units communicate with each other via fiber optic cables.
2. The 9 or 10 speakers (4 mid range speakers, 4 tweeters and one or 2 subwoofers) are all routed and wired to the amplifier. No speaker wires route to the center of the dash console.
3. Whatever DoubleDIN unit is selected, probably shouldn't have a depth of more than 6-1/2" or else it may interfere with the A/C box in the back of the center console area.
4. No one has been able get the existing Alpine amp to work with other aftermarket head units.
5. When upgrading to a DoubleDIN infotainment module both the old Jaguar radio/CD/Cassette head unit and amplifier are no longer used and will be removed.
6. The aftermarket infotainment unit should have 4 channel outputs plus sub woofer, (RCA jacks preferred, or an equivalent adapter harness.)
6. In order to drive all of the speakers, one will have to purchase a 5 channel amplifier that fits in the space where the original Alpine amp was removed.
7. Since the car has separate tweeters and mid range speakers, one will need to put in 2-way crossover for each pair of tweeter/mid range speakers. (I haven't found and aftermarket unit that has separate outputs for tweeters and mid-range speekers.)
8. Depending on what options and functionality you want, Harness adapters, GPS antenna, WIFI antenna, microphone, Cameras, HDMI, USB ports, and OBDII interface all exist and can be readily purchased.
9. From what I've read to date, the most difficult part is to route new wires/RCA wire from the trunk area to the center of the console.
10. Speaker upgrades are well documented in other threads.

If I missed a thread about this specific upgrade, please respond with a link to that thread.
If someone has more to add, please feel free to contribute.

Electrical/stereo upgrades are not something I enjoy doing, so any tricks and shared knowledge help the installation go smoother. (I read threads where Cambo stated it took him 4 days to do his upgrade. Others have documented similar time to upgrade their X-types. It would be nice to be able to upgrade in a day.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Tijoe; 06-21-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed all but the amp for my aftermarket system and you covered it.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Tijoe (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

I really like the Jag-droid, but this would be even a larger project: Premium sound to Nav touchscreen upgrade (have to upgrade the A/C and environment controls) then do the Jag-Droid upgrade
Seems like a lot of work primarily to get the best looking console..

Last edited by Tijoe; 06-22-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag4
I installed all but the amp for my aftermarket system and you covered it.
Did you extend all the speaker wires to the head unit, or route new speaker wires?
Did you put in new speakers?

Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Sorry when you said premium, my mind went to w/NAV like mine. There are literally TONS of conversion posts in forum and on internet going double din. Member Dennis Black has great threads and pics.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

There are too many different media threads. I'ts a gold mine of information, but very time consuming to read through all the extra comments and side bar conversations.

One of Dennis Black's threads is worth adding a link. In this thread, his focus was on using the Nav unit display. He definitely put a lot of time and energy into his conversion.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-info-102632/

Infotainment Head Units keep evolving, and it sure seems easier to purchase a state of the art one rather than piece meal together a system that uses the Jag's OEM Nav display.
(Even though I think it looks much better than the Premium stereo with regular A/C controls.)

Old 03-17-2021, 08:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

I just learned about this. Check out www.jagdroid.org to upgrade the existing NAV system to an Android version with CarPlay. You can download your favorite GPS App (Google Maps, TomTom, etc.) plus add Bluetooth connectivity.