S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way To Improve STR Alpine Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best Way To Improve STR Alpine Sound System

Hey JaguarForums, I was wondering what is the best way to improve the Alpine sound system in a 2003 Stype-R with no-nav. What are the specs of the speakers and can they just simply be replaced with aftermarket ones? I'd rather keep the factory head unit. Thanks everyone!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

All you need is an amp . When I was building my stereo up, I started with a new head unit (Pioneer Appradio) and an amp. I was planning on replacing the factory alpine speakers because I assumed that, despite the Alpine brand that they would be garbage like Bose speakers are in Mercedes'. But I have to tell you, it sounded so darn good I kept them . It plays so crisp and loud that I can not turn the volume up higher than midway because it starts hurting my ears. Just get yourself an amp and enjoy how the stereo should have always been. Those Alpine speakers have a lot of potential with a decent amp.

The only thing I had to do to complete my stereo set up was to get a 12" sub which is in the trunk. My wife LOVES making fun of me for it lol. She likes to remind me that I am a 36 year old attorney that has "bumps in the trunk"

Last edited by Under Pressure; 11-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

10" sub in the boot did it for me!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Factory installed audio systems

Originally Posted by maxthrottle
Hey JaguarForums, I was wondering what is the best way to improve the Alpine sound system in a 2003 Stype-R with no-nav. What are the specs of the speakers and can they just simply be replaced with aftermarket ones? I'd rather keep the factory head unit. Thanks everyone!

I owned a large consumer electronics service shop for many years and I have found that systems like the Alpine system in my 04' are matched components taking into consideration the acoustics in the passenger compartment and sound very good. I'm not sure changing speakers would add any quality difference. If you want more power you would probably have to change out everything past the head end unit. IMO

Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
10" sub in the boot did it for me!
Agree's with this, disconnect those tacky build in subs in the shelf and get you a 10" subwoofer. Bazooka makes a tube that's great and Inifinity makes a Sub Called a Basslink that also sounds very good and takes up less space.

Bazooka Link

Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA10250D BT Series 10-Inch 250-Watt Class D Amplified Tube: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA10250D BT Series 10-Inch 250-Watt Class D Amplified Tube: Car Electronics

Infinity Basslink (cheaper)

Infinity Basslink 10" Class D Powered Car Subwoofer System

The following users liked this post:
maxthrottle (08-31-2013)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

How do you wire it in?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Bazooka or JL Audio Powerwedge is the way to go to save space and add some low end. The Infinity Bass Link sounded ideal but from the reviews there are a lot of people with same reliability issues. I have owned a few Bazooka tubes in past and they tend to be a good quality, take up little space, and can be removed very easily. Getting ready to follow Docuzzie and add one in mine. Next step will be to add an aftermarket amp to the factory speakers.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
How do you wire it in?

Send me your email. I have a document I shared with another forum member that explains how to do it. It's pretty easy.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone, I decided to add a 10" sub with amp in the trunk to the existing system. Its a kicker sub with an integrated amp and box. Whats the best way to install this thing?

EDIT: Can this be spliced into the rear deck "subwoofers"?

Last edited by maxthrottle; 11-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by maxthrottle
Thanks everyone, I decided to add a 10" sub with amp in the trunk to the existing system. Its a kicker sub with an integrated amp and box. Whats the best way to install this thing?

EDIT: Can this be spliced into the rear deck "subwoofers"?
I'm sure it can. As an example, My Bazooka tube is powered and by splicing into the wires the way I did, the Sub woofer is controlled by the Console just as those lousy factory ones in the shelf were. Volume up, down or off.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you a copy of the instructions I've sent to other members on how to install. Once I have the time to clean it up, I'll make a new thread with all the pictures so others can just get err done when they need to.

Won't likely be till summer though.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Mine's a Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-10. All enclosed 300w amp/sub box. I had a bass boos rotary control put in the center console so I can add or subtract bass as desired.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cat ManDo, did you disconnect the factory subs and use wires to run the sub?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought you couldn't add an amp to the factory Alpine Nav system??

Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SC Str
Cat ManDo, did you disconnect the factory subs and use wires to run the sub?
I had a local audio shop do it. They were also doing a delete of a Sirius radio a previous owner had put in.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

bumping an old thread, but i'm in a similar situation, 03 str non-nav audio

idiot previous owner was bumpin some 'ghetto beats' (judging by what i found in the cd changer) with the head unit settings cranked to such a degree that it blew out the rear parcel shelf speakers/subs,

now I have to keep the sub setting at (-5) in order to listen to anything without distortion, but its sorely lacking the low end bump...

now, im far from being an audiophile, and I just want to fix it on a budget!
Would it be cheaper to replace the two subs, what are they, 6x9's?

Or just disconnect them and run the wiring to a standalone single 10" sub?

How many other speakers are in the cabin? From what I can tell, 1 in each door, so total of 4, plug the two 'subs' in the parcel shelf, correct?

I wouldn't mind wiring in a new amp to drive the factory alpine's, but i'm worried the door speakers are blown to **** too...

would the 'subwoofer channel' that drives the two rear subs be enough to power/drive something like a 10" enclosed sub on its own? i.e. so i dont have to get and wire in a seperate amp/capacitor, etc...

any input is great, thanks guys

Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 AM

I have a 10" bazooka tube that I'm receiving the volume power directly from those subs in the shelf. I leave the tube on Max volume, but control the volume inside the cabin from the sub section in the Mode menu. I do have premium sound.

At the dealership, a few of the mechanics had asked me, what did I do to make things sound so good? I explained what I've written here and they were amazed. I also changed out the two front door speakers with Infinities and that's made a huge difference.

Originally Posted by GT42R
bumping an old thread, but i'm in a similar situation, 03 str non-nav audio

idiot previous owner was bumpin some 'ghetto beats' (judging by what i found in the cd changer) with the head unit settings cranked to such a degree that it blew out the rear parcel shelf speakers/subs,

now I have to keep the sub setting at (-5) in order to listen to anything without distortion, but its sorely lacking the low end bump...

now, im far from being an audiophile, and I just want to fix it on a budget!
Would it be cheaper to replace the two subs, what are they, 6x9's?

Or just disconnect them and run the wiring to a standalone single 10" sub?

How many other speakers are in the cabin? From what I can tell, 1 in each door, so total of 4, plug the two 'subs' in the parcel shelf, correct?

I wouldn't mind wiring in a new amp to drive the factory alpine's, but i'm worried the door speakers are blown to **** too...

would the 'subwoofer channel' that drives the two rear subs be enough to power/drive something like a 10" enclosed sub on its own? i.e. so i dont have to get and wire in a seperate amp/capacitor, etc...

any input is great, thanks guys

Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The factory amp/subs are the same as the X-Type, what I did was put in a pair of Kicker CVT65's 6.5" 4ohm subs, in the factory position on the shelf instead of the Alpine ones. The subs themselves were cheap to buy. But they put out so much bass I couldn't turn the sub level up past +3 at high volumes. A lot of bass for a pair of reasonably priced subs in the parcel shelf. So if you want to keep the factory amp (which I like, because of the DSP and the separate volume control) then think about the Kicker CVT65's. My $0.02...

Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Default Done

Originally Posted by Michael Star
How do you wire it in?
I sent out a document to Maxthrottle a while back illustrating how it's done. I do have the liberty today to get more detailed and perhaps add some photo's if you'd like. Just say the word and give me a couple of days and I'll re-post to this forum so all can see.