Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

infotainment bitchfest!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default infotainment bitchfest!!

Anyone want to bitch about how jaguar has crapped on the audio possibilities of all their cars making it nearly impossible to upgrade or modify your system without going through major rework of internal component programming and dealing with compatibility issues!!! If I could just put something better in there I would be happy.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:07 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There are three jags in your signature, two of them have a shared entertainment system, the third not.

So which one/s are you bitching about?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Well..the VDP has audio features that didn't make it even to the 2015 XF. The X type system is a joke. The XFS system is ok. Not bad, but the lack of video really bugs me.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 PM

If you could be a little more specific about each model it might be easier to work out what you want and what can be done about it.

For example I retrofitted the full Premium Sound system into my old X-Type with subs, amp, all controlled by the factory touchscreen; basically the exact same system that's in my XJR.

There were options from the factory for TV and DVD video in the XF which could be retrofitted.

There are aftermarket ways of bringing video on the touchscreen too.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

What I mean is that for most other vehicles, the head unit is easily replaced with aftermarket stuff. Jags don't work this way. To install good head units (alpine, sony, etc.) or double din units with DVD capabilities, you have to bypass the entire existing wiring. To rewire a whole system means taking apart a considerable amount of interior parts. Once you get wiring for capacitors, subs, and amps in there, you are looking at a major project. You can go onto most domestics and most imports even, and take out head units and use an adaptor to plug into the existing wiring. Not so with Jags, unless of course you do what you did and use other Jag equipment. But that sort of defeats the purpose of upgrading.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:53 PM

Ok from your other thread I take it that you want to upgrade the sound in the XF.

So I suggest you find another 2011 XF that has the Bowers and Wilkins Surround Sound, take your favourite CD, and try it out. You might be surprised that "other Jag equipment" can actually sound pretty good.

And then there are other ways to go too. The digital output from the factory head unit is MOST fiber optic. Which is used in Astons, Audis, BMWs, Lambos, Land Rovers, etc. etc. there are interfaces which connect to the MOST network and give you digital or analogue outputs to connect to aftermarket amplifers, processors, etc..

MOST Analog Pre-Amp | mObridge for example. These guys don't even know it but their products should work with the system in a 2008-2011 XF (because all the components are the same as the LR Discovery)

But my first recommendation, find an XF with the B&W Surround System and have a listen.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

I have the premium system in the 05 VDP. It is awesome. The interface is dated. I don't doubt the B&W system is great. But the interface is still an issue don't you think? For a 2011 year model, the touchscreen is sort of a joke. I love this XF and I didn't really like the styling when it first came out. If theoretically, if I am going to go spend large coin on a truly custom sound system, I would go with the Audison MOST amp and then upgrade the speakers and sub, but I still would be stuck with a slow *** interface that won't even allow me to control any of my amp settings. To truly upgrade, I would need a double din head unit, which can't be done with the existing wiring. There are no wiring harnesses that can plug into the MOST cable looms of the head unit as in most other vehicles. Do you know of any? Because I have already taken this car in to get looked at, and I was told the exact same thing that they told me when I wanted upgrade my X Type...can't be done, needs to be complete rewire from head unit to all the other components. If I had a Honda or even a crap *** Beamer, or Merc. they could do it because the market has created a demand and there are lots of options there. We are sort of stuck with what Jag decides to put in. Ok. I'm done bitching.....oh, and another thing...WTF is up with the navi not letting you put an address in unless the car is stopped?? I'm sure it's a safety big brother thing, but not all cars make you stop so you can use input an address..wife bitched about that for miles and miles!!!.......ok...NOW I'm done bitching

MOD can close this thread now.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-02-2016 at 06:10 AM.