Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

S-type Amplifiers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-type Amplifiers

Moved from Audio/Visual

I have a 2002 S-Type with the Premium NA Audiophile system. The subwoofer amp is under the rear deck. The schematic for the system shows a Center Fill amp which feeds the two small speakers on the center console. The schematic suggests that it is a separate physical unit but I can't find it.

Where is this amp located? Is it a small unit hidden under the dash or is it a back feed from the subwoofer?

Tnx

( more on this if I can get some answers)

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I think you be better served if you purchased the Jaguar JTIS on EBay. Very cheap-I paid $9 with shipping. Much information and you can print diagrams and instructions out.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

im not showing a seperate one for the 2002 on my JTIS. i show the standard and the Alpine system, ALPINE is either with nav or without.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 PM

I have the Jaguar JTIS and the schematic I am referring to is Figure 15.2. The Female Connector 74 (FC74) shows two separate amplifiers, one to the CenterFill Amp and the other to the Subwoofer Amp which is located under the rear shelf.

Where is the Center Fill amp?

Attached Thumbnails S-type Amplifiers-jag-premium-na-audiophile.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag 2002 Schematic Fig 15.2.pdf (411.3 KB, 824 views)
Old 10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

do you have a center channel speaker?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. I have two small speakers on either side of the console under the dash that are called the Center Fill. I popped the covers but sight is limited under there and and I don't see an amplifier nor was one visible when I pulled the radio and A/C controls.

Let me explain where I am going with this. I installed a Kenwood 9140 double din head unit to replace the Jag NA Premium Audiophile. I lost the use of the CD player in the trunk but I gained the CD/DVD player in the unit plus the USB and Ipod hookups. The four door speakers are operational thru the wiring harness (FC72) so I do have sound. I would also like to hookup the amps. I have not been able to locate a harness which has a male connector similiar to the Jag head unit FC74, the black one below the power plugs, that I can mate with the Kenwood output which has RCA Female plugs. I would only use the leads as shown on the attached diagram. My concern is that I might be sending amplified output to an another amplifier and cause some damage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails S-type Amplifiers-jag-center-console-speaker.jpg   S-type Amplifiers-jag-kenwood-9140-amp-harness.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

ahhhhh ok gotcha..........well, what you can do is buy a set of rca's, and cut them. take the shields from one set, twist them together, and take each center conductor and send signal into the amplifier that way. Use the other end of the cut rca's to feed the subwoofer amplifier. if you follow me on this, it should make sense that way. If not let me know and ill try to explain more in detail

Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Just a little interjection.... Have you tried to find a Ford harness or Lincoln LS harness? I say this because from 2000 to 2002 the audio system was Ford and not Alpine. Alpine started to make the stereo units in 2003 for the S Type, hence the dash change... To bring the audio and climate control in line with other Jaguar vehicles. BTW.. Notice the Ford logo on the attached picture of the audio component in one of your posts...

Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
ahhhhh ok gotcha..........well, what you can do is buy a set of rca's, and cut them. take the shields from one set, twist them together, and take each center conductor and send signal into the amplifier that way. Use the other end of the cut rca's to feed the subwoofer amplifier. if you follow me on this, it should make sense that way. If not let me know and ill try to explain more in detail
Now we are getting somewhere ... My optimum solution would be to obtain a connector like FC74 which would mate to the Jag wiring, attach to the appropriate pins some RCA male connectors and simply plug and play. I only need to feed the amps as the Ford harness supplies power and feeds output to the four doors. I need a Jag Tech or EE to point me in the right direction to find the FC74 connector. It is the black 6x2 (17mm wide X 12mm high keyed on top) as shown in the photo, the shops and parts stores I've searched simply don't have it. Any leads to this specific size would be appreciated.

My other option is to T-splice RCA males into the existing Jag harness to hook directly into the Kenwood harness RCA females. Tedious work in limited space inside the dash.

These options should be on the low side of the amps. It may be moot as to the location of the Centerfill Amp but I would still like to know.

The connection is still paramount so I'd like those answers first.

TIA

Old 10-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Your jag dealer should be able to supply them, I'd have thought. (But may involve a harness.)

On a good day they'll also be able to show you on screen where things are inside your car. I hope.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Just a little interjection.... Have you tried to find a Ford harness or Lincoln LS harness? I say this because from 2000 to 2002 the audio system was Ford and not Alpine. Alpine started to make the stereo units in 2003 for the S Type, hence the dash change... To bring the audio and climate control in line with other Jaguar vehicles. BTW.. Notice the Ford logo on the attached picture of the audio component in one of your posts...
Thanks for the help but I did use a Ford harness to power the Kenwood (FC71) with the added bonus the the other connections (FC72) also fed the four door speakers so I have sound. I picked up STI (Steering Wheel Interface) off of FC73 pin 11 for a PAC JACK as well.

The only remaining problem is feeding the amps for additional audio. Many more audio features on the Kenwood to configure using the amps and subwoofer.

See my previous post for additional details.

TNX

Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Adding to my own post: After more study of the schematics and electrical section in JTIS I found the Center Fill Amplifier. All the connectors in and out are listed as FC 42 and are located adjacent to the steering column. I looked up there under the dash but couldn't see anything but my guess is that it is a small unit the size of a deck of cards and may reside near the left console speaker ie very close to the steering column.

Mystery solved, case closed.

If I could only find a connector like FC 74 ...

Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Try doing a search for UK based audio shops... They may have the adapters your looking for... When I was looking at what it would take to swap out the head unit in my car, I found that there were quite a few that had harness adapters and such and had provisions to ship internationally. Sorry, but I changed my mind and didn't save any of the sites in my favorites... But they were easy to find... Google is your friend!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Try doing a search for UK based audio shops... They may have the adapters your looking for... When I was looking at what it would take to swap out the head unit in my car, I found that there were quite a few that had harness adapters and such and had provisions to ship internationally. Sorry, but I changed my mind and didn't save any of the sites in my favorites... But they were easy to find... Google is your friend!
Thanks, I will continue to search.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you ever get the centers and the subs working?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by DittoGlen
Did you ever get the centers and the subs working?
I haven't found anything yet and did not remove the head unit to do anything since I buttoned it up. It would be nice to get the amp and other speakers working tho ...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Well, I'm going to tackle this project soon.
I'll let you know if I get them working

Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Keep me posted

Old 09-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Do you know the function of each wire in FC74?
Like which 2 are the remote-on wires?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DittoGlen
Do you know the function of each wire in FC74?
Like which 2 are the remote-on wires?
I am attaching the schematic which I have annotated showing the connectors. You will see that FC74, the square black connector below the power and speaker connectors, controls only the Center Fill Amplifier and the Subwoofer Amplifier. I have not been able to locate the Center Fill Amp altho it is supposed to reside somewhere under the dash near the steering column.

I have no idea what you mean by the remote-on wires.

What I (we) need is the correct harness adapter that I have laid out to get the amps working. Any help would be appreciated.

HTH

Attached Thumbnails S-type Amplifiers-jag-premium-na-audiophile.jpg   S-type Amplifiers-jag-kenwood-9140-amp-harness.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag Elec Fig 15.2.pdf (506.2 KB, 492 views)

Quick Reply: S-type Amplifiers